1st Attempt at Home made berley blocks

After years on intending to, i eventually went through the bait freezer and took out the heads and frames of KGW, YFW & Gar frames, old squid bits & pieces, tommmies, a few mullet including a red mullet some very old cockles and pillies .Put them all through the mincer and have ended up with a pretty sloppy mess which is sitting in the fridge awiting the final touches.am going to add some more pillies, have the aniseed oil, tuna oil, stale bread to put through the processor and add. Will probably put in a few berley nuts as well. and some curry powderWent to bunnings and got some 90mm storm water pipe which i will cut to size to fit the berley cannister and will put into the freezer.Just asking for a few more suggestions or ideas, i have read the forums and also wondering about the thickness of the blend before freezing and is it necessary for it to be a bit more solid? Cheers,

The only two ingrediants I would be looking to add to that is some Blue swimmer crab and some prawn shells. probably best if uncooked' date=' but I have used cooked with success.And just my opinion, but I would be leaving as much moisture in your mix as you can as it should take longer to thaw out.[/quote']there are a few prawn heads thrown in. (cooked) and usually keep my crab shells but havent caught any down brighton way yet.and thanks for the tip about retaining moisture

I use same ideas for my magic brewthen 90mm storm water pipe cut to fit freezer sliced down the sideThen use my tempory down pipe as a sausage case inside the pipe Only problem is I lost my pot down Cape Jarvis the new one is slightly thinerI need to do another brew as I have freezer full of tuna frames & other goodnessJust don't have the time

We freeze our berley in 1 litre milk cartons.........nice sized blocks that fit most berley pots.Find that "really fine chopped" berley "clouds" as it thaws........great for whiting.......where as the "chunkier" style is better for snapper as the blood thaws,and "oozes" in the current..........be careful of big rays on your pot :ohmy:

My Dad's been doing the same thing for years. He never adds pellets, bran, or any other binder/filler and just uses it as is. He just minces the scraps, packs it into the stormwater pipe (very firmly) then covers each end with plastic wrap and a rubber band. Depending on whether a heavy or light trail is required, he takes the wrap off the ends and either drops it in with the stormwater pipe on or pushes the frozen slug out of the pipe and into the burley pot. You might need to tweak things a little to suit your specific pot set-up but in my experience it is magic stuff - better than any commercial burley I've come across is very effective for surface fish aswell as the bottom dwellers.

You are doing the burley exactly how I did it...all I can add is' date=' place a freezer bag inside the pipe and when you want to use the burley, leave it in the bag and just stab a couple of holes in it to slow the dispersal rate down.[/quote']Cheers Mick. yes forgot to add will use freezer bags inside the stormwater pipes. Will finish this off this arvo.

I use two, twenty litre buckets. One with holes drilled in it for my burley pot, the other for freezing my burley mix. Once the frozen burley block slides out for use, it fits perfectly in the other bucket.For more flavour i use cheap black and gold cat food, the pilchard, tuna or sea food basket variety. Too good to feed your cat with. The snapper love it that much they come up purring :laugh:

I use two' date=' twenty litre buckets. One with holes drilled in it for my burley pot, the other for freezing my burley mix. Once the frozen burley block slides out for use, it fits perfectly in the other bucket.For more flavour i use cheap black and gold cat food, the pilchard, tuna or sea food basket variety. Too good to feed your cat with. The snapper love it that much they come up purring :laugh:[/quote']Cheers Scaley, think that might just be the final ingredient.