Parson/Tohatsu auxiliary

Hi all,Looking for some info on small auxiliaries.I have an 18 foot stern drive boat that I want a spare O/B for.I bought a good second hand 6HP Merc a few months back that runs perfect, but turned out not quite what I'm looking for. I don't want the aux mounted permanently. I want to set up easy mount points in the transom. Then I want the Aux and mount bracket stowed in the cab out of the way. If shit turns to shit, drop the mount bracket on the transom bolts/clips/or what ever I set up, drop the engine on the bracket, kick it in the guts and lets go.The problem with this is the aux weight. It really needs to be quite light. The 6hp Merc is around 35kg. Easy and light weight to lift out the car and plonk on a tinnie or have permanent mounted as an aux, but still a bit too heavy to be swinging over the back of the boat at sea.It doesn't have to be big HP. It just needs to be realiable if I need it. I'm looking at possibly the Parson or Tohatsu range "new" in the 3 to 4hp range. 3 to 4hp may only be small, but will still work better than trying to row if your a few clicks off shore. (Anybody ever really tried to row the average size trailer boat if your by yourself? I'm telling you right now, it's impossible no matter how you try it. Most will never try. They only carry oars becasue the law says you have to. I've found oars work better for smacking big fish with).The Parson/Tohatsu donks in the 3 to 4hp range are probably more what I'm looking for with weight around 16 to 20kg range, but I know nothing about them. Are they any good?I don't want to have a chinese donk up in the cabin to find its a failure right when I need it the most,(should I ever need it) but these engines are the better ones for weight comparison.Any help and info would be greatly appreciated from those that know or own them.Thanks all.

Pretty sure Parsun and Tohatsu are two different manufacturers (Actually I know they are)Parsun = Chinese and Tohatsu = JapaneseI know which one I would buy and it wouldn't be the Chinese one, Tohatsu have a very good reputation for reliability so if it was my money/life on the line the Toey would win hands down

Tohatsu outboards are a top motor. Can't remember who it was but the Navy or sea rescue (something along those lines) used to use them, and still might, because of their reliability.I've got a larger Tohatsu (70hp) and it's a top motor.When I re-power the tinny I'm almost certain It will be with an 18hp Tohatsu. I've never heard of Parsons??And also, yep I've tried to "row" my boat (17ft) before "just for fun" and with two people we hardly made any ground. If conditions were flat calm and a dodge you "may" get somewhere...

Tohatsu outboards are a top motor. Can't remember who it was but the Navy or sea rescue (something along those lines) used to use them' date=' and still might, because of their reliability.When I re-power the tinny I'm almost certain It will be with an 18hp Tohatsu. [/quote']They are used on the Surf Rescue RIB'sIf you are looking for a Tohatsu 18hp look at the Mercury 15 Super, It's the same motor and you might find it a bit cheaper also Merc give a 5 year warranty with 12 month servicing whereas Tohatsu are 3 years and six months servicingTohatsu make most of the Merc 2 strokes up to 40hp
Thanks purnong.I did know Tohatsu made Mercs but didn't know about the price/warranty. Got quoted' date=' from memory, $3200 for an 18hp. But hopefully it's a long way off, fingers crossed.[/quote']Ouch, $3200 is pretty highI bought a 15hp Merc Super brand new for $2150 late last year and with a small adjustment of the throttle stop screw now have the 18 poniesI also have a 50hp Tohatsu and I can tell you the six monthly servicing comes around pretty fast and is completely unwarranted in my opinionOne time I had only put an hour on the motor over winter and the dealer wanted to do a complete service, I decided I'm not playing that game and will service myself and cop any issues that ariseI may win or I may lose and I'm happy to accept that, They are good motors though