Snapper fishing made easy

$50.00 yes, $100.00 maybe, $500.00 no.Ultimately it will depend on the level you are at with your fishing personally. I dont believe this gentleman could teach many methods or techniques that you can not learn through other means.I would prefer to pay someone for a heap of grounds.But then again snapper is not one of my favourite fish to catch.That is just my opinion.

Its an intresting read, and his comparison to an Owl makes alot of sense, but if you compare a snapper to say a cat or like I to, a dog, his theory is flawed. Lots of personal opinion when it comes to this, and has to be backed up by catches which by the look of his photos , he has.Would I pay $500? no chance.Also, I like his disclaimer about bag limits etc, he clearly has pix of more than 6 fish over 60cm.Can I assume he fished either sdie of midnight and "douible bagged" after advising PIRSA of his intentions proir? :blush:

The owl analogy certainly concurs with my own theories/experience but I haven't been able to crack the 'where do they go when feeding/foraging at night' question in any form that could be applied to different spots. Another thing I believe is that being around structure with fish on it prior to dusk with a sufficent burley system working tends to keep the fish around. Essentially, they won't move further than they need to in order to find a feed.I'm not really convinced that there could be a general rule of thumb for working out where they forage at night (in relation to their daytime structure hideout) that could be applied to all spots though. It seems feasible to expect they might often move inshore as there is probably more food to be found in general but I can picture examples that would contradict this assumption. Also, some grounds are too far offshore to expect that those fish would be moving to 'inshore grounds' through the night. I think it's more a case of knowing the grounds well enough to be able to identify areas surrounding the structure that are most likely to hold food. In my experience, this still leaves lots of trial and error in determining these areas and when they are most likely to be visited at different times of the year, stages of tide, etc. I'd be very interested to hear if what he has to teach is really worthwhile but at this stage I don't feel he could teach me $500 worth of information. It would be great to hear feedback from someone who has coughed up the dough and attended though.

From what I've read/heard it's not worth the coin.Realistically why would you want/need to pay someone $500 to teach you how to catch snapper?That's part of the fun, isn't it? Working out when, where, tides, moons, bait etc. It makes it more rewarding if you can work out how to fish a drop properly. Having a reliable spot is great, but snapper move through just about every area at sometime or another, weather it be Winter, Summer, night or day. So pick a likely looking area and fish it at various times. If it's got food and is in a good area you'll get snapper once you work it out. Doesn't matter whether it's 200m offshore or 40km. He talks about maximizing your bag limits too (fish before and after midnight for a "double bag"). But that's just being greedy in my opinion. What are you going to do with 12 snapper over 60cm? If you're a solo fisherman than yeah, fair enough, 4 big reds is fine. I would use the money elsewhere, like fuel for sounding. A good charter operator will teach you plenty and a lot cheaper.

in my opinion no way. i cant see what he can teach you that reading books and google cant. other than giving a spot away that most people would know about anyway. you could have the best spot in the gulf and not catch a thing as you might be fishing the wrong time. as iv learnt, its half the fun learning all the tricks by yourself. and when that rod screams it is so worth it. you can buy a lot of bait, fuel, hooks, burley, launching fees and fish for $500. just keep persisting and you will get them.

Went to a spot on snapper fishing night a while back and he was kinda lurking in the shadows handing out his brochures when people walked out the door, was rather strangeAt first I thought he actually took you out and showed you, but reading closer it appears its classroom based??? $500 is crazy money if that's the case.

if this guy actually does have some info to offer (and looking at his pics i have no doubt that he has indeed sussed snapper fishing, in his local area anyway) he should write a book about it. i would be more than willing to pay like $30 or whatever to read about what he has figured out, especially given that it is south australian snapper he is talking about as opposed to Steve Cooper who wrote a book about snapper on the east coast (which i have).$500 for his course is ridiculous though in my opinion, i agree with Crusher, i reckon i would be willing to pay that sort of money for a couple of decent drops rather than just get a general overview of one persons way of going about catching them.I also agree that when u put in the hard yards and are finally rewarded with the scream of your reel on a decent snapper the sense of accomplishment is great :laugh:

no doubt he knows his way around a snapper.. but some of these photos have been taken 5 + years ago. i think there would be a few guys on here if they had pics from the last 5 years would give him a run for his money.i didnt read about fishing b4 12 and after for double the bag limit but if thats the case and his tellin people this is what he does i think its piss poor. should be teaching people to take what they need and leaving something for our next generation of fishermen.pauly

Pauly s- nah mate he didn't write it but he says on his page "Pictured below are just 15 of my catches, each made with a buddy, which show just what can be achieved". Nearly all pics have 8 over 60cm fish. So usual limit 4 over 60cm with two people or 8 if fishing over midnight and "maximizing your limits".I think his page has been edited since last time I saw it. Less info and pics now.I agree with you, he should be teaching to take only what you need. Just because there's a limit doesn't mean you should reach it each trip.

Just because there's a limit doesn't mean you should reach it each trip.

I do. But I never have a full freezer and eat it all. I just can't justify the price of fuel/insurance/rego and maintenance and not get a bag limit. When I have enough Snapper I just don't target them anymore and might go beach fishing for mulloway instead or go crabbing. Enough for me is about 3 months worth with a snapper meal once every two weeks. So maybe 2 - 4 big ones and six small + a few giveaways to the family.

I've got no problems with that knackers. If you've got a use for the fish and aren't wasting it, go for it, if you can get on them that's great. :cheer: It's just the people that have a freezer full at home and the family is satisfied yet they still continue to go out and keep a limit of fish when they have no real use for them. Or the people who catch, and keep, their limit of smalls and bigs but continue catching and releasing fish after fish (which is illegal once a bag has been reached) all they're doing is harming and putting the fishes life at risk.Would have to disagree with justifying the price of fuel etc though. You'll never come out 'in front' with fishing. It's an expensive sport but I do it because I love it, not to make up 'lost' dollars. But that's just me. Any day out on the water is a good day, fish or no fish. ;) Sorry guys, bit off-topic :silly: wishing2Bfishing- I agree with you there, a book would be a much better approach for this guy. He would sell plenty of copies and probably make more money than offering his current service.

You would have to look into pauly but I'm fairly sure the rules state once a bag limit has been reached you are now no longer allowed to catch that species. Best to suss it out though.Had a quick look and found this on the pirsa site "Bag and boat limits apply for a 24-hour period from midnight to midnight. Once you have caught your bag or boat limit of a particular species, you are not allowed to catch anymore of that species during that 24-hour period. "Notice how it says you're not allowed to "catch" that species. Meaning you're not allowed to target them.I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that someone had asked fisheries and they confirmed this.

Notice how it says you're not allowed to "catch" that species. Meaning you're not allowed to target them.

open to interpretation i think. any lawyers a member here :laugh::laugh:
On another fishing forum recently I was "smashed" by the administator because in my trip report I wrote I bagged out on a certain species, then changed over to lighter tackle and changed lures, and caught and released some more of the same species. Although I never suggested we were targeting the same species as we had bagged out on, I was still assumed to be guilty of breaking the law, and hence bombarded with links to the PIRSA website which in a nut shell states the same species can't be targeted or caught once the bag limit is achieved.On the day we bagged out, several different types of fish were being caught on the same lures, at the same location, . Unless I specifically said I was targeting a certain type of fish only, I can't see how this rule could be seriously enforced considering I have no control over what fish takes my bait or lure.However, the irony of this is that it is totally legal to stop one fish short of your bag limit (so effectively you haven't reached your bag limit) and continue to catch and release as many fish as you want of the same species, until you decide to keep one more to achieve your limit.In the spirit of things, I'm not sure what the difference really is between getting you bag limit, then C&R, or almost getting your bag limit then C&R :dry: Suffice to say I learnt that you need to be very careful how you word your trip reports if it contains the words "bag limit" and "catch and release".