Surf rod advice

I am in the market for a surf rod, pretty keen to give surf fishing a crack as I've not really tried it before. Will probably try down the coorong / salt creek. What would be a good combo to be looking at I've got no idea where to start really. Would be happy to spend $150-$200 maybe a little more for a decent setup?Cheers!

Cheers forgot to mention I'm after a reel too!

Ive got a 760 penn slammer which is fairly cheap at bout $100 but is good reel for off the beach and has a fair amount of room on the spool for line. One thing i don't look past anymore is having a noisy drag for when your not rite next to the reel, could be half a spool down by time u realize somethings on.another thing to watch out for is having baitrunner reels and stuff.. there are more moving parts to fill up with sand and make it harder to maintain the reel.pauly

i have a Snyder Glass as well, it is an absolute beast, its probably a bit over the top if u r going to be catching mainly schoolies and such but if u r going to put in the hours chasing a 50lb+ Mully or big Snapper (eh Nev ;) ) u cant go past a Snyder Glass IMO. i think i paid about $230ish for mine, worth every centthe reel i have on my Snyder Glass is a Fin Nor Offshore Spin 9500, i have about 400m (or there abouts) of 30lb mono on it. that also is around $200. cant fault it though, i dont treat it very nicely and it is still in perfect working order. i also have a Shimano baitrunnuer 6500b as a backup reel, also a good reel.all i will say is if you r going to put the hours in on the beach chasing that trophy fish dont skimp on your equipment as if/when you do hook that fish of a lifetime you dont want to be let down by something that is within your control ie. your gear :):fishing:

I have just set my self up with a 700c alvey and a 12 foot alvey rod to match ,may not be everyones choice but i figure they make the reels so why not get one of there rods ,i also have a couple of 500c reels on a 9 foot rod that i use for smaller stuff of the beach ,i cant be bothered with trying to cast a overhead ,tried to many birdsnests ,just practice i suppose but as pauly said more parts to bugger up alveys are tough as and easy to look after ,even got one in my boat .

I have a couple of Wilson's 1 is a fsu5120 supergraph this is an awsum rod I've matched it to a shimano ultegra xtb fantastic reel tho yet to really test it out on sumthing big, also have a 13"6 Wilson seacoaster im not a fan of this rod as its very sloppy and hard to fish with big baits and hard to control fish once hooked its also to large and heavy to fish with light line n a small reel so I'm planning on upgrading to a new snyderglas for this winter and would like to match it with one off the new spinfisher v reels

if you decide to go with the alvey reel, i would be hooking it up with a snyderglas set up for an alvey..has a short butt, so the reel can sit low.. ive seen the alvey rod, but im not really a fan of it to be honest.. the rod should have a large oversized eye as the first eye, and pretty much in the middle of the rod... an alvey rod bucket strapped around waist is a great idea.. they help a lot with winding in, keeping the reel in a great comfy position.. another plus with the alvey is the star drag, not a fan of the lever drag or the B series alveys.. 650c, 700c, alvey..with the star drag is second nature now to tighten or loosen drag with a finger..just falls into line maturally after a while.. saves farting about with a front or rear drag on a spinner.. but again, im biased to the alveys and snydersthis is my 153 7 wrap one piece snyderglas.this is my C'MERE rod... .. hooked onto a rather large eagle ray.. i will break before that rod does.. im 5ft8, stocky ( read chunky ) and 100kg.. im laying into that rod as best i can... the rod loves it... not bad for a 30yr old rodPosted ImagePosted Image

I'm a real fan of the baitrunners for surf fishing. I manage to drop them in the sand and surf regularly too. So much better for setting setting hooks. I have had more problems with overhead level wind reels in the sand that I have had with my 3 baitrunner Ds, and you wouldn't call ABU 7000 - 10000 series bad surf reels B)

• 1 month later...