Leader/Tippet Length

Well, due to the passing of a friend of my grandad :( I am now in possesion of a complete fly outfit :woohoo:I have taught my self to cast, got flies right etc but was wondering how much leader (I am tapering mono) to attatch to the fly line?It's the only thing holding me back (other than being extremely competitive :P ), I have caught plenty of fish on my own flies but on a handline :huh: and spin gear. Can't wait to get into it, Just another challenge. Thanks In advance, Fished Out

Cheers mate, well I had a go down at goolwa yesterday. Where I was it was blowing pretty hard so it made fly fishing near impossible. I got 16 on spin gear, aswell as a 14 pound model. Then as I was sorting out a tangle in the fly gear, the bread fly got engulfed only a metre from the shore :woohoo: !But a 10 pound plus carp is a scary thing on 6 pound tippet, round a log and POP! :( Oh well, at least the leader thing is sorted.P.S Have you gone on that Bone Fish trip yet?

• 1 year later...

Before you spend too much time in salt water you need to work out what you have inherited.  It might be something special and designed for fresh water streams.  For example if it is a Hardy Smuggler with a golden prince reel, salt water will destroy it and you will have an outfit which was worth between $500 and  $1500  quickly becoming worthless.

I run 3 ft of 10 lb, 3 ft of 6 lb and 4-8 ft of 4 lb to make my leader.

When I get too close to the last knot I cut it off and tie on another 4-8 ft of 4 lb line.

I use flurocarbon almost exclusively, it seems to knot tighter and roll out of the loop with a bit more grace.