Boat Ramp Ethics

Hello all, I'm new to boating, (just bought a 4.5 run a bout), and I'm curious to know what people's views and opinions are on boat ramp ethics..For example, I do a fair bit of launching by myself, so boat is left tied at ramp , while I park the car and walk back... Sometimes obviously you lose sight of what's happening on he ramp... Do you guys have any probs at the ramp , or have had any in the past? Also do you leave Gps Plotters on board if launching by yourself? Thanks for the replies

ay mate i have been the boating seen for about 7 years launching and retreving by myself at a few different locations and never really given it a thought. I guess it comes down to the boat ramp and location. Generaly go with your gut feeling if it dont feel right due to some shady characters hanging around wait till they have gone . I would hope that one wouldnt have any trouble but you never know these days .

Never had an issue myself or read of one in here but it would pay to be switched on. I launched about 2-30 am thurs, was the only car parked at WB and when i was at the rigging bays a white tray top ute rocked up, could've been one of the workers of the job going on there, i didn't know but i was not leaving the boat alone till the ute left.Ohh yeah, buy a trailer coupling lock too.

Never had an issue myself or read of one in here but it would pay to be switched on. I launched about 2-30 am thurs' date=' was the only car parked at WB and when i was at the rigging bays a white tray top ute rocked up, could've been one of the workers of the job going on there, i didn't know but i was not leaving the boat alone till the ute left.Ohh yeah, buy a trailer coupling lock too.[/quote']you'd be right in thinking workerstheres regular visits by the adelaide shores inspectors plus the occasional cop car, they use to get hoons laying rubber on the ramps so now they do regular patrolscfr

Also guys, As the title states " Boat Ramp Ethics" , if you could let me know about things to look out for whilst on the ramp...I.e .. When coming back in, is it considered O.K to pull my boat up close to the retrieval area, when getting my car, or should I leave it in the deeper area , and wait till I have the trailer in the water... Probably sounds trivial, but hey, the last thing I need /want is an argument after a good day out on the water ;)

Do your rigging in the rigging area..... Not on the ramp.When launching your boat pull it to the rear of the pontoon so others can also launch.When retrieving pull it to the front of the retrieval lane pontoon.Look for priority lane times for launching and retrieving.(West Beach has signage)Don't leave anything out in the open and check out who's around the pontoon just in case.I've never had a problem and launch solo 95% of the time.Say hello to people and they'll keep an eye on your boat.Good Luck.

Do your rigging in the rigging area..... Not on the ramp.When launching your boat pull it to the rear off the pontoon so others can also launch.When retrieving pull it to the front of the retrieval lane pontoon.Look for priority lane times for launching and retrieving.(West Beach has signage)Don't leave anything out in the open and check out who's around the pontoon just in case.I've never had a problem and launch solo 95% of the time.Say hello to people and they'll keep an eye on your boat.Good Luck.

Follow the above and all is good. Explained so simply, yet sooooooo many do it wrong!!

We regularly use north haven boat ramp, think that annoys us the most is the guys that pull up right up top of the ramp and then start to get there boat ready meanwhile blocking up lanes for people that are ready. It's not hard to get everything ready in the car park whilst getting your ticket too.As for coming back in we usually bring the boat as far down to the shallow end of the pontoon so any other boats coming in can come upto the pontoons. There is a priority launching lane for anyone going out.

Do your rigging in the rigging area..... Not on the ramp.When launching your boat pull it to the rear off the pontoon so others can also launch.When retrieving pull it to the front of the retrieval lane pontoon.Look for priority lane times for launching and retrieving.(West Beach has signage)Don't leave anything out in the open and check out who's around the pontoon just in case.I've never had a problem and launch solo 95% of the time.Say hello to people and they'll keep an eye on your boat.Good Luck.

Great info, thanks for taking the time to write it down... :)

Hi mate i launch at sullies and also occasionally seacliff by myself ,havent had a problem in fact if i have been in a bit of bother people have only been to quick to help me ,never thought about people ripping stuff of the baot while i parked the car ,as protac said do all the stuff in the rigging area and after of the trailer pull to the end of the pontoon ,how many times have you seen people launch tie of at the front and stuff around getting biminis up rods in place all while others have to wait ,if unsure mate go to the ramp and watch others that is what i did ,early in the morning most ramps can be launched from but after i say about 8/9 o"clock i would probably use the launch ramp only as the early starters will be coming in good luck.

We regularly use north haven boat ramp' date=' think that annoys us the most is the guys that pull up right up top of the ramp and then start to get there boat ready meanwhile blocking up lanes for people that are ready. It's not hard to get everything ready in the car park whilst getting your ticket too.[/quote']That is my biggest annoyance!We launched saturday morning around 6am, there were about 5 boats that drove straight in and decided it was good idea to rig up on the ramp. Makes it hard to get in, straighten up and reverse.We always stop in the carpark, put rods up, take tie downs off, get a ticket etc then go to the ramp.

I found mexico really bad for ramp range and people with the "I paid my ramp fee I'll take as long as I f***ing well want" attitude. I lived on Phillip Island and regularly saw complete melt-downs at the ramp while I was walking my dogs or at the ramp myself.There's a lot to be said for learning to drive on to your trailer confidently and if possible idling outside while your mate gets the car, then you can use the middle lane and its a blink and you'll miss it affair. We did this the other night and the half-dozen boats I waved through were really appreciative that we weren't hanging around the pontoon when we could just buzz up the middle (ramp was chocka's and it was late at night).That being said you do need to be confident in hitting the trailer first time when there's no one to help pull you on, but its something I think we should all aim for if your boat allows it- leave the side lanes to the dads with kids, solo's and people with wives etc that need to tie up.Long reply,. very boring, but JMHO.

Was down at sullies last year ,pretty busy arvo some guy couldnt be :c waiting at the retreival ramp so went onto the launch ramp ,guy and his mate come want to launch there humungo boat but cant ,so they just backed onto the ramp and by the time the guy got back they were primed ,did he get a spray and the deckie as well ,no fisticuffs but could have happened quite easily .Heard from a mate that a guy and his daughter came in ,small tinnie so dad goes of to get the car young girl hasnt a clue just hold the boat like dad said ,some bozo came up and started yelling at her about moving up the ramp ,you can imagine what happened when dad got back ,girl in tears dad furious with bozo :angry: .Bozo doesnt go straight home drops off at emergency ward first :whistle: ,i agree with sav keep a cool head and if you see someone in trouble dont stand there abusing them give a hand ;) .

dont f around when your at the ramp, prep before in prep areamake sure your damn crewie IS ON TIME!use the correct ramps for retrieve/ launch. Nothing like waiting to retrieve and some numpty decides to drop his boat in infront of you while your moving it up the ramp to shallow water.Many a times ive been 2nd boat in to retreive, gone and got the car and while im reserving back someones tring to jump the que... I will happily upgrade my tinny to your 530 haines if you want to push it onto this trailer for me!AVOID WESTBEACH ON WEEKENDS. Its rarely a good experience

Remember that anyone retrieving has right of way regardless of which lane they are in, and what state of launching you are in. You never know if there is someone injured on board, hole in the boat, etc. Had a big mouth have a go at me one day at sullies for launching in a non-priority launching lane (nothing says you can't). He retrieved down the priority launch lane and started mouthing off at me in front of his yachtie mates. If the tosser had read his boating manual before leaving home, he would have been aware he could of pulled in behind me and I would be obliged to get out the way - which I would have.Another note from your manual - take note of which side of the harbour entrance you need to be on whilst exiting / entering. The amount of people that don't know this simple rule is dumbfounding.Take your knowledge and commonsense with you and leave your attitude at home. You will find most people will try and help you.

Remember that anyone retrieving has right of way regardless of which lane they are in' date=' and what state of launching you are in. You never know if there is someone injured on board, hole in the boat, etc. Had a big mouth have a go at me one day at sullies for launching in a non-priority launching lane (nothing says you can't). He retrieved down the priority launch lane and started mouthing off at me in front of his yachtie mates. If the tosser had read his boating manual before leaving home, he would have been aware he could of pulled in behind me and I would be obliged to get out the way - which I would have.Another note from your manual - take note of which side of the harbour entrance you need to be on whilst exiting / entering. The amount of people that don't know this simple rule is dumbfounding.Take your knowledge and commonsense with you and leave your attitude at home. You will find most people will try and help you.[/quote']Agreed, I'd always believed retrievals had priority. What is a priority launch or retrieve lane, never encountered this phenomena yet????

Borryking you have me a little puzzled ,if this other fellow retreived from the launch ramp then why were you in a retrieval ramp?as the launch ramp must have been clear .Now i dont condon gobbing off at people as they may just not know the rules ,be new to boating whatever .Just to put it into context i launched from a retrieval ramp last friday at around 600 ,no worries all the early starters had gone and there was only two of us there ,when i retrieved it was around 1.00 fairly quiet 1 boat in front of where i wanted to retrieve so as i tied of he was on the trailer and away so i pulled my boat up to the second cleat,went and got the car.By the time i returned there had been another 6 boats come in,now if someone had been launching in this or another retrieval lane it may have caused a few problems for other skippers,as now they have to wait until the launcher has moved out so the can move up the pontoon to retrieve allowing other boats to come in behind them and tie off.Now i dont know about priority launch or retrieval ramps but it has always been the first ramp at sullies is for launch ,and i have seen the same scenerio where someone has retrieved in that lane while someone has wanted to launch causing not a happy skipper,there used to be a sign there telling people this it said launch only but some smart person knocked it off.As i have said before i beleive that up until around 9 /10 oclock i see no problem with launching from a retrieval ramp as the early risers will probably start to come home by then ,this thread is about ramp ethics what to do and what not to do ,as said prep your boat in the rigging area if its late in the morning and you can see other boats coming in stick to the launch ramp ,just because a book doesnt say you have to doesnt mean it is good ramp ethics. ;)

Ramp ethics is the same as everyday life ethics, don't be a complete knob and you should be alright.If you're frustrated that the ramp is full, chances are so is everyone else, take it easy and avoid making a bad day for yourself.Agree with Jimmy, I take my boat all over the state and sometimes interstate, I've seen more ramps than a drag car. West beach is the worst ramp I have ever had the displeasure of using. Weekends are ok, long weekends are the real killer.