Gday allAfter finally getting some blueys down brighton yesterday i invested in a 38L crab cooker.I previously used the camping type 2 burner stove (fold down coleman )to bring the water to boiling, but a much smaller 10L pot. worked ok for a few crabs. Am thinking that i now need to buy one of those cast iron 3 ring burners as i dont think the old method will work too well as 1. it will take ages for water to boil and 2. it wont come back to the boil fast enough.So what are other people using and any other alernative suggestions?

Whilst i don't have a crab cooker, can strongly recommend knocking up some sort of wind shielding device that will sit on the ground & wrap round the burner and pot.Made one out of galv garden edging. Ten mins with the tinsnips, makes a huge difference to boiling times for my beer making.

shield2.JPG

shield1.JPG

Yep steaming is the way to go.The best part about about steaming is you dont get water absorbtion.Meat comes out firmer and in my option with a better flavour due to not having the meat soaking up the water while the water is recovering back to full boil.In my days as a chef I never boiled any of my shellfish but i was spoilt by having a commercial steaming oven to use (even for my private catches)

I been steaming crabs for years now, Cost ya a couple of dollars to make and about 10mins of your time if that :) Just get a piece of wire mesh the size of ya crab cooker. fold the corners so it sits 2cm above the base of the pot.Add a couple of cm of water, only takes 5mins or so to heat up. Allot quicker than boiling up 10ltrs of water or more.Put ya crabs in and steam away.Instant steamer

For me, I've got a stainless steel crab boiler pot which sits on the kitchen stove.For larger numbers, I've got an old old electric boiler which was once used in a hospital for boiling up sheets and linen......element like a kettle in the bottom, but the thing holds about 60 litres of water or more and ya can do any number of crabs all in the one hit.

my missus bought over a heap of Louisiana Crawfish' date=' Shrimp and Crab Boil so i just sprinkle that over the whole affair and steam for about 12 minutes.[/quote']I've heard about this crab boil.Do ya know what herbs it's made up of' date=' or are they listed on the packet so's we can mix our own?[/quote']Ok, ingredients listed go like this Ranger-Salt, spices,dextrose,paprika,onion,garlic,natural flavours,mono-sodium glutamate,natural lemon oil flavour,citric acid.If i was gambling man i'd bet there was cayenne pepper in there too.http://www.louisianafishfry.com/reviews.php?action=submit&id=33I freaked out when i was over there Ranger and they had blue swimmer crabs, i never knew. One guy was telling me that they nearly were wiped out from over fishing by the pro crabbers and had just started to make a comeback.

Sorry blokes,I lied. I deep fried them and am now cooling them off in the fridge. Prepared my chilli sauce so taking them to work tomorrow to eat. Heat the sauce with oil and in go the prior fried crabs. I've had a few and you can eat the whole lot (shell, legs etc), very crunchy but the meat is still moist.Posted Image