Gday all!First time writer, long time reader! Looking for a bit of advice...Ive recently been squidding out at Tennyson with varying results, but everytime have had some good snook chasing my squid jig's. Ive tried throwing a lure out, which they also chase right to my kayak but wont take it! Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Im in the same boat as you mate, Ive landed pleanty of snook land based but in the kayak had no results, tried lots of different hard bodies too no luck using the X-wraps (been using the olive green colour) Think soft plastics might by worth while a shot, either that or im not timing the drift / speed correcrtly

Plastics this summer from the boat has completely smashed any metal or hb I've tried ! Ya do loose a few to bite offs but your getting heaps more hits etc!!! A few plastics I use are the squidgy poddy mullet around 80mm size , drop bear think that's the name of it , white one with orange throat and a black spot! Anything in pilchard colour should work! Try get the stealth pro bream jig heads coz they have a longer bigger hook so less bite offs! You can change up your retrieve from a slow wind to normal twitches and pause, as most hits are on the pause as its sinking back down just watch your line like a hawk while doin this! Best time has been on the run in tide for me, and also in very shollow water anywhere from Marino to Hallet cove! Oh and ive been using 12 lb fluro carbon leader, sometimes still not thick enough for bite offs!Good luck!

Man, I think Snook away from rocks and jetties and that is about thinking outside the box.You can go trolling around in the hopes of discovering a school, this works.For a "make them come to you" session, here's what I find works;Get yourself into Tommie and Gar mode! Nice surface slick of oil and grain. Then as miraculously happens, the tommies & or Gar appear outta nowhere. Sometimes even slimey macks or whatever.This is fun fishing in itself right, unwieghted or floating gents and yer into a good bread n butter sesh.Stick a big rod down cos wherever this action is goin on, you never know if a snapper or 10 are close by ;) a squid jig on a handline ready to go too if a squadron of Squidlies Cruz through!!!!This is the set up that once established and underway is going to produce SNOOK! Many people won't even notice them unless they pull in half a gar :laugh: or they are really fired up and start getting airborne :woohoo: So when all is going well, grab yer pre rigged soft plastics rod with a 4" minnow and work it at the back and edges of the burley hungry Tommie n Gar......SMASH! THUD! JESUS those snook hit a lure hard!!!! My old man uses a very fine wire trace to avoid getting SNOOKED too frequently, but man they are fun what ever way you go.I find them the hardest fish to land.... They get boatside and are then absolute bastards for chomping through leader hahaha! GOTTA LOVE THOSE SNOOOOOOK!

Pretty sure at the trolling speed you want to do with a paravane makes it dive around 7-8 m deep so you can't troll too shallow I usually won't go lower than 10 m deep with a paravane plus I've never had one on a rod they have too much weight/drag/pull or watever while trolling so I've only had them on handlines, then tie off to your rear cleats and sit and wait for the paravane to pop up!! Easy

Gday all!First time writer' date=' long time reader! Looking for a bit of advice...Ive recently been squidding out at Tennyson with varying results, but everytime have had some good snook chasing my squid jig's. Ive tried throwing a lure out, which they also chase right to my kayak but wont take it! Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated![/quote']what lures have you used?only metal slugs?You need to remember that snook are some of the most intelligent fish and can be very fussy.

Fairly slow mate two strokes dont like it much but i have heard fours can just about run on idle without any problem ,watched a video on utube some old guy fishing for snook somewhere had 3 eskies full must have been a pro ,but they were all good sized ,love smoked snook .looking at trying some different lures any sugestions i have a chrom slice with green face on one side any other ideas ?

• 9 years later...

We used to get alot of them while chasing pinkies on soft plastic lures - 3 to 4 inch  - they are very good at cutting you off as they thrash their head when you go to net them or as they get close to the boat.

Id almost consider a short wire trace if I was specifically targeting them on lures they can inhale - or use long thin Bibbed minnow lures with the middle treble removed. Just to keep their mouths away from your leader.

I have seen them working gar schools in 3 to 4m of water - they are fun to watch getting fully airborne . So they have no problem smashing long thin fish like gars.

But that long snout and razor sharp cutters can make them quite annoying when using flouro or mono leaders

502.jpg

501.jpg

14 hours ago, Wert said:

Any colour works, if i had to choose.... Probably chrome... probably 🤔

Yeah anything that mimics a gar wouldnt be a bad place to start.

But colour shouldnt be a huge deal - the lures we used to chuck for pinkies were a mix of pinks - browns, and pumkin colour and they had no problems hitting those.

I have watched them shadow huge schools of 3 inch sliver bait while diving - I imagine with a mouth that big and cutting teeth that sharp - everything is on the menu.

Halco sliced metal snook lure or any sliced metal lure works without fail when trolling. I use a lead line rather than a paravane. Also 3 ganged 1/0 hooks with a thin strip of stream lined fish bait works good as does the swim bladder of the first snook you catch. 

When catching Gar & there are a few about, cast out a bibbed lure or even a soft plastic well behind the Gar & often you will get a snook or two. I prefer a bibbed lure as they will destroy a soft plastic.