rod/reel setup tuna

I've got a terez! But it's only a15-30lb size, brilliant on snapper! They are amazing sticks! But i thought as I'm not going to be chatting them a whole lot (first time next week) that i could go a decent reel, Say a tekota/ torium? And match it with a rod in the 100 dollar range? Or is that just playing with fire?

The Torium would be my choice, could match it to $50 rod if you wanted! It'd be fine.Sure the high end gear is nicer to use, but plenty of fish landed on the lesser.One thing to consider tho, is that a suitable over head won't be very versatile if u want to throw lighter lures/poppers.Maybe a Saragosa spinner would be better unless u want to use the Torium for any high speed work.

Hi DylbaaI have thought long and hard about this subject and what I have got for myself isShimano TLD 25 on a short rod 15/24Kg, roller tip in solid glass. (I have six of them)Should be about $200 all up from BCF on specialYou can only use this outfit for shark fishing, snapper, snook trolling and game fishing but its worth having a special outfit for this.

Sounds good to me! But what size rod to match it with? Will a 10-15kg sick do? And bob would I be putting mono on the tld, if so, what pound/how much? They both sound like good combos, but I like that overheads have a roller tip, but then again I can chuck lures at schools if need be with a threadline! Ahhhhh decisions, decisions haha

Hi DylbaaSmall school tuna 10- 50Kg are in a large a competitive school and multiple hook-up are common Kingfish at the Port August power station are dirty fighter and love to dive around a pylon or two. In both of these situations a heavier than normal setup is an advantage as you can get fish in the boat quicker and give a large allowance for mistakes. It can be quite chaotic in a small boat at this time skill levels are low and we are talking about a trophy fish of a life time for some people.I am talking about old school game fishing techniques not finesse fishing (get the fish in the boat time) TLD 25 are cheap and very reliable the charter boats out of Cannes use them for mug fisher on Marlin up to 200Kg 440lb so you can use them on quite big fish if you have a bit of skill. The lever drag is a big advantage on very large fish as you can accurately set your drag in the middle of the fight as the spool empties and diameters change or the drag heats up. You are right I am talking about mono 15kg /500M Terylene with a very long leader. It has a good shock absorbing quantity that braid is lacking. Rod, glass, Roller Tip, short, 15/24kg, cheap. Shimano say you can cast with a TLD 25 but it’s not really true. This outfit is a trolling outfit but you can also balloon off a jetty with it. If you see a school of Tuna on the surface, you should troll around the school letting the lures short cut through the edge of the school.

Ok, I thought someone would pull me up on the general statement “Shimano say you can cast with a TLD 25 but it’s not really true.”You may be able to cast a TLD 25 with 10kg mono on a Land Based Game rod or other large and long casting rod, on dry land quite well but with a TLD 25 with 15 Kg mono on a short stiff 5ft RT game rod in the back of a small boat casting to a school of tuna is not practical, it is better to troll around the school, you maintain control of the boat and keep the lines strait. If you want to cast to a school you need to have different gear.You may be able to use the above gear for cubing but I don’t have personal experience in that technique.