CLEAN UP YOUR RUBBISH PLEASE

RECENTLY I WAS DOWN AT GLEESONS LANDING ON A FISHING TRIP AND WAS SHOCKED AND DISGUSTED TO SEE THAT SOMEONE HAD DISCARDED A DAMAGED PILE OF TENT POLES AND A BROCKEN FOLD UP CHAIR ON THE FORDUNE OF THE BEACH. I FIND IT DIFFICULT TO FATHOM HOW SOMEONE COULD BE SO THOUGHTLESS AND SO LAZY AS TO DO THIS. ALSO CONSIDERING WHAT HAS BEEN GOING IN RECENT YEARS WITH RESTRICTED ACCESS TO BEACHES AND MARINE PARKS WHAT WAS THIS PERSON THINKING OR NOT. I IMPLORE EVERY ONE, FISHOS, CAMPERS, SURFERS AND ALL THOSE THAT ENJOY OUR GREAT OUTDOOR PLACES, TAKE OUT WHATEVER YOU BRING IN. DONT LEAVE OLD BAIT BAGS, TACKLE AND CAMPING GEAR, LEAVE ONLY YOUR FOOTPRINTS. IF WE DON’T WE WILL DEFINITELY LOSE ACCESS. THINK OF OTHERS THAT MAY BE THERE AFTER, DON’T LEAVE THE PLACE IN A MESS. LASTLY TO THE PERSON THAT LEFT THIS MESS, PLEASE GO CLEAN UP YOUR RUBBISH, IN MY OPINION YOU DON’T DESERVE THE PRIVELEDGE OF PLACES LIKE GLEESONS. DON’T RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE ELSE. MY SAY :angry:

You're on the attack against a group of people who almost certainly don't do this sort of stuff. It's not a debatable stance. It's an accepted view that littering is awful and that it's important to protect the environment.You're preaching (angrily) to the choir. BTW...

SO THOUGHTLESS

To write everything in caps. Looks a little crazy, your message gets lost, it's super difficult to read.

No worries Holbream thanks for your reply. I wasn't trying to preach to the choir but was pretty peeved at what I saw just wanted to get it out there. Not angry at anyone directly. I am sure the guys on this site all do the right thing. But I also wrote this on the off chance ( I know probably not likely ) that the perpetrator may get the message. Lets face it, there are a lots of people out there who do this sort of thing, look at Browns beach for instance. Closed down a few times because of the litter. I guess we all gotta do our bit to to keep the places clean. Ive cleaned up other peoples left behinds a few times.

No worries Holbream thanks for your reply. I wasn't trying to preach to the choir but was pretty peeved at what I saw just wanted to get it out there. Not angry at anyone directly. I am sure the guys on this site all do the right thing. But I also wrote this on the off chance ( I know probably not likely ) that the perpetrator may get the message. Lets face it' date=' there are a lots of people out there who do this sort of thing, look at Browns beach for instance. Closed down a few times because of the litter. I guess we all gotta do our bit to to keep the places clean. Ive cleaned up other peoples left behinds a few times.[/quote']Thanks for clarifying. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone here who disagreed with you on this. The kind of people who frequent this place rely on a healthy ecosystem in order to catch fish! (Or at least, try to catch fish.)I kind of put it in the same boat as speeding or running a red light. It's wrong, and people can get hurt, but it doesn't stop some doing it to save a few seconds of their time.As far as I'm concerned, it all goes back to education. Emu parades, clean up Australia day, and general waste messages were things I grew up with. I find it hard to believe there are people who don't hold those same beliefs.

I agree. Yeh its hard to fathom that something that seems so abhorent to you and me and to most others, just does not raise any concerns or thought from some,,, its doesn't even raise an eyebrow...??? who knows. Hey I understand the try to catch fish bit, been trying to catch a big mully for ages, havent cracked it , but thats of the topic ha. I suppose all we can do is as you say rely on education and remain vigilant and if we see any of this going on, and if we can point it out to the person although this can become confronting.Cheers for your comments

If we all leave a place better than we found it imagine the world we'd live in. Personally I feel if you stay or camp somewhere you could not only clean up your own mess, but help clean up after those too stupid to consider it themselves. If others happen to spot you helping clean another site after someone has left then maybe it'd have a ripple effect. I know it has on me. Ignoring rubbish is almost as bad as leaving it yourself.

If we all leave a place better than we found it imagine the world we'd live in. Personally I feel if you stay or camp somewhere you could not only clean up your own mess' date=' but help clean up after those too stupid to consider it themselves. If others happen to spot you helping clean another site after someone has left then maybe it'd have a ripple effect. I know it has on me. Ignoring rubbish is almost as bad as leaving it yourself.[/quote']Yea, very good post.

Well said.being a member of the Gawler Angling club for about 15 years i have seen the closure of many fishing locations thanks to litter (as many fisho's have).We often clean up what we can, where we are fishing. We are not "greenies" but care as most people do. A part of our consitution surronds fish preservation, litter removal falls in line with this. Locations like Blanchetown and Lake Bonney are the worst for general litter. As most of us are carrying black tubs or atleast 20L white buckets we will fill them with litter. Many members will carry a spade to bury discarded fish and fish frames in approrpaite areas.local government (or councils) are starting to install more bins in regional areas. These are often stolen or burnt.Unfortunately this message will not reach those who need it.

So did you clean it up? To that question to tell the truth no, feel bad for it. Saw it on the way out and was loaded to the hilt with gear and it was a fair wack of stuff left there. Big pile of steel tent poles mainly. Next time I go, if its still there I will make a point to ferry it out down to the bins at Gleesons campsite for sure. Other times I have found plastic bags full of old bait left down on the rocks at the other end of the beach. Just lucky I went for a walk down there. The bags wouldve ended in the drink. Cleaned the manky bait out and took the bags to the rubbish.

So did you clean it up? To that question to tell the truth no' date=' feel bad for it. Saw it on the way out and was loaded to the hilt with gear and it was a fair wack of stuff left there. Big pile of steel tent poles mainly. Next time I go, if its still there I will make a point to ferry it out down to the bins at Gleesons campsite for sure. Other times I have found plastic bags full of old bait left down on the rocks at the other end of the beach. Just lucky I went for a walk down there. The bags wouldve ended in the drink. Cleaned the manky bait out and took the bags to the rubbish.[/quote']Dont feel bad for not picking up others rubbish, like you mentioned, if its not possible. Next time maybe take a spare bag and grab a bit of paper, a can or two or some discarded fishing line. Feel bad for the inviroment, the animals that get tangled, caught and choked. Feel anger toward the idiots that cause this.