New shimano Bait runner OC

Guest macstyles

Guest macstyles

Hi all. Fisrt time on the forum and just signed up. What a great site! Looking at purchasing a couple of new baitrunners for my new found love of snapper fishing. I was strongly considering the older model 4500b baitrunners which I can get at a good price and a proven workhorse. But since making my way to the tackle shop they said their no longer making parts etc for the old models and shouldn't go past the new 6000OC model with its 10yr warranty. Does anyone own these new baitrunners?? And if so what are they like? I'm also looking at upgrading my whiting lines with braid, as everyone talks it up and swears by it... never used braid before so what size and or type should I go for? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

When I first started Snapper fishing I decided to purchase the 4500B Baitrunner and it was a great real. I began fishing in free spool to utilise the bait runner feature but shortly into the run of the Snapper taking the bait I would go to set the hooks and find I had missed a lot of the strikes.It took a year or two before someone told me to use Circle Hooks and to ditch the fishing in bait runner/free spool mode.I did that and my Snapper fishing turned around dramatically. It was like a breath of fresh air. I was fishing in fighting drag and using 6/0 circles and was hardly missing a fish. The rod would just load up, a steady lift and baam. SNAPPERTIME.If your reading this, this tip could save you 1-2 years of stuffing around with the Baitrunner. If I was in your position I would head out and just by a 4000 sized decent quality Threadline for the money, because IMO the baitrunner feature just isnt necessary for Snapper fishing. We also fish unweighted baits in fighting drag and have no problems getting hook ups when the snapper grabs the bait and charges off. The circles just set straight into the corner of the mouth. Buy some Gammakatsu Octopus circles in about 5/0 or 6/0 snooze two of them together and fish on patternoster rig and you will find catching snapper fairly easy.

When I first started Snapper fishing I decided to purchase the 4500B Baitrunner and it was a great real. I began fishing in free spool to utilise the bait runner feature but shortly into the run of the Snapper taking the bait I would go to set the hooks and find I had missed a lot of the strikes.It took a year or two before someone told me to use Circle Hooks and to ditch the fishing in bait runner/free spool mode.I did that and my Snapper fishing turned around dramatically. It was like a breath of fresh air. I was fishing in fighting drag and using 6/0 circles and was hardly missing a fish. The rod would just load up' date=' a steady lift and baam. SNAPPERTIME.If your reading this, this tip could save you 1-2 years of stuffing around with the Baitrunner. If I was in your position I would head out and just by a 4000 sized decent quality Threadline for the money, because IMO the baitrunner feature just isnt necessary for Snapper fishing. We also fish unweighted baits in fighting drag and have no problems getting hook ups when the snapper grabs the bait and charges off. The circles just set straight into the corner of the mouth. Buy some Gammakatsu Octopus circles in about 5/0 or 6/0 snooze two of them together and fish on patternoster rig and you will find catching snapper fairly easy.[/quote']G'day MAC,what URHOOKEDFISH has said is what i went thru too with a 6500B and the baitrunners are really not needed.It sounds like a good idea but most guys manage without them.So MAC you did not say if you were land based or boat.Just a note,baitrunners not ideal for beach fishing.
When I first started Snapper fishing I decided to purchase the 4500B Baitrunner and it was a great real. I began fishing in free spool to utilise the bait runner feature but shortly into the run of the Snapper taking the bait I would go to set the hooks and find I had missed a lot of the strikes.It took a year or two before someone told me to use Circle Hooks and to ditch the fishing in bait runner/free spool mode.I did that and my Snapper fishing turned around dramatically. It was like a breath of fresh air. I was fishing in fighting drag and using 6/0 circles and was hardly missing a fish. The rod would just load up' date=' a steady lift and baam. SNAPPERTIME.If your reading this, this tip could save you 1-2 years of stuffing around with the Baitrunner. If I was in your position I would head out and just by a 4000 sized decent quality Threadline for the money, because IMO the baitrunner feature just isnt necessary for Snapper fishing. We also fish unweighted baits in fighting drag and have no problems getting hook ups when the snapper grabs the bait and charges off. The circles just set straight into the corner of the mouth. Buy some Gammakatsu Octopus circles in about 5/0 or 6/0 snooze two of them together and fish on patternoster rig and you will find catching snapper fairly easy.[/quote']Thanks for that info. I bought a 6000OC and have been using it in the boat with the baitrunner feature on. Will try what you suggested.

i got the 6000 oc and got its first real test yesterday on a big ass egale ray.. there great reels for landbased when fishing when you need to let the fish run, which in most cases landbased you'll have a few rods out laying on the rocks or jetty and if you dont have a loose drag you could lose the whole combo. Best thing is you can have drag set b4 you hook the fish and when your gettin a big run sometimes its easy to nearly lock it while fighting the fish thinking there's not enough drag pressure.if your fishing off the boat for snapper you dont need to use the option but it can still be handy for rigging up and that. if the reel is meant for snapper off the boat and that only id go a smaller lighter reel ie: ci4 stradic, rarenium which will be more comfortable when holding all day and just great reels for that sort of fishing.pauly

Guest macstyles

Thanks for all the info everyone. I fish out of a boat and this is my theory. My main reason for the baitrunner set up is because when say for example your berleying up and your rods are in the holders whilst waiting for a hook up, its a simple matter hearing the reel screaming and then cranking the handle then strike and set the hook and your in fight mode rather than manually tightening your drag and then setting the hook. I always leave the drag very light so that I can hear if the line is running when I have a bite. This is extremely useful at night when you can't even see your rods buckle over at a strike. For me it just saves the hassle of holding your rod all night until the fish start biting... and when there on its no letting go.So for me this system would work better than the standard set up.....

I agree with scaleytom, I recently bought a new 4000d and its a beautiful little reel. First trip we were out metro and after a slow night... Zing! off goes the runner with a single circle hook, snap the handle and set circle in the rod holder- the only keeper between the 3 of us. A week later at the illusion, I'm flicking plastics and zing goes the bait runner- wander over, snap the handle, a nice 2.5 kg rugger. They are a great reel if used right, and they are super smooth!

I have owned the 4000, 6500 and 8000 Baitrunner Ds (lost the 4000 this year on the FWC). I've been an overhead guy all my life and I love these reels in the boat and off the beach. In the boat I always hang on to the rod so the baitrunner feature rarely gets used unless I have to do something else - this is where it is a really handy feature.

I bought the 4000D when it first came out and after a few trips on small fish, it has lost the smoothness completely. I now can feel the gears grinding and its not good. I had it serviced but cant get it back to its smoothness at first. Although I have to say the drag is nice.In saying that the Baitrunner OC is a step down from the D so I'd expect it to be no better.I'd get the Thunnus CI4 Baitrunner with its "paladin gears" Anyway goodluck!

Another option is to walk into “fishing wholesalers” and get a Penn Spinfisher SSV Live Liner.Local warranty support and a range in sizes to choose from.Posted Image

They really haven't lived up to the hype and marketing, lets hope Pure Fishing get on top of the issues.The B series Baitrunners are legendary but best suited for mono.
  • 4 weeks later...