EU recognition of recreational angling.

EU recognises fishos, why don't Aussie governments? 07 Mar 2013THE European Parliament has voted to officially recognise recreational fishing interests when drawing up legislation, leading to calls for the same level of governmental support for the Australian angling sector.The March issue of Angling International, a highly influential trade magazine serving the global tackle industry, reports that an "historic vote" by the EU Parliament earlier this year now means that recreational fishing has been incorporated into the Common Fisheries Policy.Long-term lobbying efforts by the European Fishing Tackle Trade Association and the European Anglers Alliance "succeeded in getting a vital amendment making specific reference to recreational fishing written into the policy for policy reform," the Angling International report said.A vote in Strasbourg on February 6 saw the amendment ratified, meaning that the EU Parliament must now take the angling sector's interests into account when making legislation on fisheries issues.A spokesman for Keep Australia Fishing (KAF), the peak advocacy organisation representing Australia's 5 million recreational fishers, said official recognition of fishing by the EU Parliament highlighted the need for similar moves by Australian governments."We need our governments to officially recognise and consider the rec fishing sector when making decisions about fisheries legislation and access rights," the KAF spokesman said. "For too long the needs and requirements of Aussie anglers have played second fiddle to those of green extremists and the commercial sector."KAF and other groups working for angler rights will be pushing these issues in the lead up to the federal election on September 14."If the EU can embrace important policy initiatives like this, then surely it's not too much to expect our governments to do likewise."

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/eu-recognises-fishos-why-don-t-aussie-governments

I thought that was the object of the act??Object of the act-(B) "access to the aquatic resources of the State is to be allocated between users ofthe resources in a manner that achieves optimum utilisation and equitabledistribution of those resources to the benefit of the community;"Big wank though...

Not the best article from fishingworld...title put me off from the start.I don't know the details of this European legislation ratification in full enough to comment. There maybe someone else on here who does?I did watch that English scientist last nigh fishing for giant catfish in Spain on some big part man made river. It was a catch n release fishery that drew tourists from all over Europe.Anyhoo....good luck to the Europeans their economy is struggling so they may as well go fishing more to cheer em all up! :P TB

I can add a little to this TB.I suspect this is the work of Jan Kappel who is the Secretary General of the EU Anglers Alliance ( EAA ), stationed in Brussels ( the seat of the EU Parliament ).This is a professional anglers organization representing all anglers in the EU and funded by some of the representative organizations.In contrast to Australia the organization represents 25 million anglers of which 8 to 10 million are sea anglers.I have met with Jan in the EU parliament in Brussels and know exactly the passion he has as the anglers advocate / lobbyist in the EU.It is also worthwhile mentioning here that we have also traveled together to the Netherlands to visit SARFAC's equivalent, and get this, for such a small country the anglers representative body there has its own two story headquarters, a staff of 22 which included, biologists ( marine and freshwater ), lawyers and a host of other staff. I know because I have met most of them with Jan's assistance.All funded by a licence, they take things seriously there.A well oiled machine like nothing in Australia.

Hi Wisdom,on the subject of a Licence, was there a trigger point that sent Vic and NSW down the licence path ?The RFL has been the subject of much discussion but I can find nothing about how the other guys got past the bulldust and made it happen. Cheers

Hi LexiNSW was the first and took place over a two year period some ten years ago now and Victoria followed later using a similar model.AS for NSW it was a combination of political fortunes, they had some Ministers that had balls.However it didn't just happen and over that two year period the community was heavily consulted and if my memory is correct there was a pro support to the tune of 78% and the Government subsequently went ahead with it.If you get onto SARFAC, they have a complete file on all the deliberations in NSW at the time and also some of Victoria I know the person who put it all together and makes compelling reading.Back about 5 years ago SARFAC carried out a similiar poll ( even using the Governments own polling company), and the percentage of support for a licence in SA was almost identical to NSW. The Premier chose to deliberately ignore it ( we weren't friends ).The only reason SA doesn't have a licence today is because of Mike Rannn, but that's another story and I would be very hard pressed to be nice if asked for the full story!!

I still remember the 'Adelaide Now' article on this subject where the bureaucrats/conservationists wanted it but the pollies said no.These groups will seek an RFL on reccies for their own agendas not on our behalf. If any RFL is to be paid by fishers then we must control the funds in the main. Understanding that government requires administration and policing costs to be covered.History on this subject tells me that one will come in eventually despite the views of rec fishers. We may as well be on the front foot and pushing our position with government or we will likely end up with any RFL funds controlled by greedy pollies and/or conservation zealots.