Goolwa Beach to Mouth Advice ?

Right then! Once again leaving the majestic beauty of Adelaides mighty port river... And goin to a more feral part of the world....THATS RIGHT... Heading to the deep south.Surprisingly, I have never driven from goolwa beach to the mouth :ohmy:I've heard that every single strikehook member has done this no less than 3 dozen times, so hopefully someone might be kind enough to give me the hot tip ;)I want to take the kids too, so am keen to know re safety. I figure the ocean side should be good for cockles and that (w kids, like goolwa itself). Do youse reckon there's a big long long friendly strip that iS sugars like? That would be lovely... Somewhere between goolwa and the actual mouth, to sit back, build sand castles, eat jellybeans and catch lure hungry schoolies :)And whats the drive/track/sand like?...or is this weekend going to see the place shoulder to shoulder with two headed web toed banjo playing southern folk? :PMany happy cheers for the birth of this long HOT weekend :) :) :clap:

You know that there is a checkpoint on the way ,what there doing is checking for web toad northerners trying to sneak down south without being properly disinfected ,youll see it big flashing lights they check all cars so you wont be able to bluff your way round it ,in all seriosness jack watch the roads and your speed especially round mt compasss have a safe trip and a great weekend mate.

You know that there is a checkpoint on the way ' date='what there doing is checking for web toad northerners trying to sneak down south without being properly disinfected ,youll see it big flashing lights they check all cars so you wont be able to bluff your way round it ,in all seriosness jack watch the roads and your speed especially round mt compasss have a safe trip and a great weekend mate.[/quote']Haha perhaps I should have just asked politely... Then my southern brothers might have put the banjos down and jumped.in to give me some priceless advice.Seriously though, you southern folk have some bloody awesome coast at yer doorstep! :)

Couldn't agree more Jack.Have you ever been from Wirrina to Cape Jervis by boat? Amazing cliff faces down the waters edge where some parts are 40ft at the cliffs base with crystal clear water....the stuff dreams are made of!From memory it's around 8k from Goolwa beach to the mouth by car and you can always find a stretch of a few hundred meters to yourself. Cockles, sand castles...all good.Watch the entrance to the beach. you come down the ramp and no worries for the first 200m then it gets real soft real quick. Make sure it's clear and power through. It will only takes 5 seconds of gas and you'll be on the hard stuff and can jump out of 4x4.It can get very soft around towards the mouth and by all means, watch you tides. Best to go on an outgoing. Grab some cockles, build some castles then head to the mouth for some mullet and flick out some livies/plastics for some mullies. Good times !The old man taught me to drive on the beach down there at 16 so it can't be too hard.Hope you have fun and remember to stick to the speed limit on the beach. No one seems to but that doesn't mean you shouldn't! Kids everywhere.

PERFECT Jaggs :clap: thanks mate, exactly what I was after.Hey, should I let my tyres down, and if I do, do I need a gauge and then where do I pump the buggers up again.Or in 4x4 with good clearance, and that, does is matter ? Just keep the revs up in the soft stuff & im fine?Do they have a recovery vehicle on site? :laugh:

Dont forget the horses as well jagger ,tell us how you went getting cockles i never made it this time round and i am not sure when the season closes i think it is this month ,oh well always next year ,youll have a ball jack its great fun and the kids will love it .i would let my tyres down to 18psi and wheres your compressor jack? i got caught at coffins like this in 100 degree heat bogged to the axles no compressor and didnt let my tyres down ,go buy one tommorow .

Never once had to let the tyres down there Jack.Keep the revs up and you'll get through no worries. 2WD cars try it and the odd one gets through so it's really not that bad until you get right down to the mouth.I'm not sure what the conditions are like down there this season but assumes it's reasonable with the amount of traffic going down there on a daily basis at the moment. There's normally some nice big tracks so just keep the wheels bouncing through, not too quick but decent pace.

Hey Jack. I've done the Salisbury to the mouth trips a thousand times (fisho talk, probably around 50 times) both for mouth fishing and also to take the kids to play and spend a day out. As said, the entrance is very soft at the moment, lock in the 4x4 and keep momentum. I usually go close to the mouth, before it splits and has a warning sign about the soft sand, set a up a gazebo, throw out a couple witches hats as a border/limit for the kids and to alert any traffic, and the kids have a ball building castles and collecting shells. It's a pretty easy trek, the last stretch can be very soft, i always drop my tyres down to 15psi as if i have the kids with me, the last thing i want is to be stuck. I have a high volume air pump here if you want to borrow it mate, no worries. I always take it with me but end up taking it easy once back on the bitumen and fill them up at the servo, only a 5 minute drive. Entrance to mouth is 10km in total, theres a loo at the entrance, i take a portable one too (which your welcome to borrow) as the girls always gotta go when the fish start biting!!

2WD cars try it and the odd one gets through so it's really not that bad until you get right down to the mouth.

For a bit of fun one time, i took my Hyundai lantra down there, we got right upto where it was getting really soft near the mouth and i decided to turn back. It's pretty easy driving down there. Seems they are getting a few schoolies down there atm, inside the mouth, get them on cockle aswell!

The worst part is the first 50m from the carpark to the beach, from then on it's all smooth sailing..........in fact you'll find it to be a highway with just as much traffic.Regardless of what anyone chooses to tell you, reduce your tyre pressures when driving on the sand, if nothing else to prevent chewing it up for others.Remember you're speed restricted, coz the beach is classed as a road, so keep it down to 45kph and keep an eye out for kids.If/when the sand gets soft, keep the momentum going, and keep your wheels straight.DO NOT use low range....it's a mistake many make. Stick it into 4WD high range, and away you go.Driving in the damp sand will be much easier than driving up in the dry, but remember to park high in the dry sand, coz you dont wanna get caught by the incoming tide.Be wary of the current if you go wading in at the mouth, it's more dangerous than it looks.Is this the time I should tell you about the mully fisherman wading in the mouth? The one standing in waist deep water who tied his first mully to his belt as he continued fishing? The same one who felt a tug, then looked down to see he now only had half a mully tied to his belt? ;)

Well, sitting back having a beer now. Pooped!Went down to 15psi, 4Hloc and hoofed along in 2 gear sitting on 40, revving about 2300.Very smooth, nice trip with the windows down. Mucked around inside.the mouth and.flicked.a 5" minnow. Didn't catch anything hahaHad a swim with the.kids and built a sand castle. Loads of fun.The biggest danger is the occasional idiot. Oh and a patrol was stuck near the.entrance. I think they must ve stopped or stalled... Bit silly really. Cheers for the advice, much appreciated :)

Didn't see a bunch of modified 4by's down there? i was meant to head down but my car had other ideas. :(

Last night there were two modified hilux's came and over took us.... They were hightailing it... I was 40-45 and they passed me one either side with one bouncing up high in the soft, and the other did a big drift in the wet stuff, unsure if he meant to do it, or nearly lost it :laugh:But im taking bait next time for the fishies, that's 4 sure ;)
Haha' date=' I bought a cheap one. Pumps the kids tyres up and is handy for footy's but didn't do a bloody thing for the truck tyres... :(How much is a decent one?[/quote']Been down there a few times in the Jeep with combination treaded Off Road/ On Road Tyres Jack with no dramas, but if this is/was your first time down there I can understand your caution.Seems a decent 4wd compressor can cost as much as you want to pay ! Maybe search some of the 4wd froums and see whats popular there ?

The worst part is the first 50m from the carpark to the beach' date=' from then on it's all smooth sailing..........in fact you'll find it to be a highway with just as much traffic.Regardless of what anyone chooses to tell you, reduce your tyre pressures when driving on the sand, if nothing else to prevent chewing it up for others.Remember you're speed restricted, coz the beach is classed as a road, so keep it down to 45kph and keep an eye out for kids.If/when the sand gets soft, keep the momentum going, and keep your wheels straight.DO NOT use low range....it's a mistake many make. Stick it into 4WD high range, and away you go.Driving in the damp sand will be much easier than driving up in the dry, but remember to park high in the dry sand, coz you dont wanna get caught by the incoming tide.Be wary of the current if you go wading in at the mouth, it's more dangerous than it looks.[b']Is this the time I should tell you about the mully fisherman wading in the mouth? The one standing in waist deep water who tied his first mully to his belt as he continued fishing? The same one who felt a tug, then looked down to see he now only had half a mully tied to his belt? [/b] ;)

It is very entertaining standing out in the dark 80-100m out not knowing what just brushed past you..LOL

The worst part is the first 50m from the carpark to the beach' date=' from then on it's all smooth sailing..........in fact you'll find it to be a highway with just as much traffic.Regardless of what anyone chooses to tell you, reduce your tyre pressures when driving on the sand, if nothing else to prevent chewing it up for others.Remember you're speed restricted, coz the beach is classed as a road, so keep it down to 45kph and keep an eye out for kids.If/when the sand gets soft, keep the momentum going, and keep your wheels straight.DO NOT use low range....it's a mistake many make. Stick it into 4WD high range, and away you go.Driving in the damp sand will be much easier than driving up in the dry, but remember to park high in the dry sand, coz you dont wanna get caught by the incoming tide.Be wary of the current if you go wading in at the mouth, it's more dangerous than it looks.[b']Is this the time I should tell you about the mully fisherman wading in the mouth? The one standing in waist deep water who tied his first mully to his belt as he continued fishing? The same one who felt a tug, then looked down to see he now only had half a mully tied to his belt? [/b] ;)

It is very entertaining standing out in the dark 80-100m out not knowing what just brushed past you..LOL
You will never know! It could be to mythical and ruthless killer mullet. The name strikes fear into the heart of fisherman and divers alike! :silly: :silly:
Dont really need a compressor for goolwa' date=' servo is not real far - just keep the speeds down.[/quote']That's absolutely true. Although the deflation tool makes the operation quick and accurate, and had I had a compressor it would've been handy. I was there at a busy time and lined up at the servo while 3 4bs went from 18-38 psi... Takes a while on the servos auto pump. Still it makes a compressor not essential, but I will be forking out for a decent one for future adventures :)
Dont really need a compressor for goolwa' date=' servo is not real far - just keep the speeds down.[/quote']That's absolutely true. Although the deflation tool makes the operation quick and accurate' date=' and had I had a compressor it would've been handy. I was there at a busy time and lined up at the servo while 3 4bs went from 18-38 psi... Takes a while on the servos auto pump. Still it makes a compressor not essential, but I will be forking out for a decent one for future adventures :)[/quote']whilst on that subject, does anyone have or can you recommend a compressor?
Dont really need a compressor for goolwa' date=' servo is not real far - just keep the speeds down.[/quote']That's absolutely true. Although the deflation tool makes the operation quick and accurate' date=' and had I had a compressor it would've been handy. I was there at a busy time and lined up at the servo while 3 4bs went from 18-38 psi... Takes a while on the servos auto pump. Still it makes a compressor not essential, but I will be forking out for a decent one for future adventures :)[/quote']whilst on that subject, does anyone have or can you recommend a compressor?
as mentioned above PRojecta Typhoon 150, or TYP150 is its code. rated very high in the 4wd magazine comparison test a few years back.

I carry one 24/7 in the back of the pathfinder ,takes up no room and its always there if you need it have a assortment of bits and peices in a old milk crate ,rope light jumper leads ect never know when you gonna need it ,if ya get a flattie and pull your spare out and it aint much better if you havent got a compressor what ya gonna do? just something to think about ,i had one in the wifes car as well lightweight version .

While we are on the subject jack here is something you might want to knock up ,it is made from 6mm checker plate and is about 300mm square ,if you remember the old timber plate they would isseu you with for the 110 landys well this is a up market version of the jacking plate ,cant change a tyre if you jack keeps sinking into the sand or mud ,this will provide a good base for a scissor or even a high lift jack, i carry this as well in my kit all the time cost next to nothing to make and wil save you a lot of greif . jackingplate001.JPG