Help in Horsham?

G'day everyone...I need help on productive places to land some trout(away from farm dams) on Fly!I work in the mines now and do 2 weeks on 1 off so i was looking for a bush escape chasing trout on nothing but fly!I have a 6wt 9' and just purchased a redington tempt 4wt 8'....I was looking to base myself in horsham/grampians area and just role out the swag and move around for a few days...I am land based.. i would like to try some lake fishing and also a few rivers creeks that run into these lakes or around the area.if anyone could help me on some reliable spots? have most of the lakes been stocked recently in this area? whats the best flies? tactics? river and lake?I have been looking at the Mc Kenzie river and lake toolondo so far. Ive never fished this area so any help would be great? cheers

Toolondoo is a great spot, especially for just roughing it a bit. You have all of the Grampians to look through which aren't very far away and also Rocklands Ressy just down the road a bit.Toolondoo has also received some really substantial stockings in the last couple of years so would definitely be a the top of the list for me.Cheers Dazz

Plenty of good options around the Grampians. Those lakes previously mentioned plus Wartook, Fyans and Bellfield all fish well at times. If you call in or phone Stawell Sports Power 03 5358 1038 I'm sure they could provide you with some good advice. I haven't fished that way for a while and don't fly fish so can't help. Good luck, it's a great area and the lakes are a great example of fish stocking and recreational use of water storages.

A few years back i was a regular boaty at toolondo but havent been back since it dryed upif wash tomorrow c/park still open go to the left of the ramp the inlet there regularly had fish rising in the afternoon on drys like the red tag, brown beetle style patterns.other patterns that worked there was a red fingerling pattern I tyed my own accounted for a nice brown to 2kilo mostly worked from a boat there but should activity close to shore.

In my last post i meant redfin fry pattern not fingerling. Another spot i fished was lake bellfield up the shallow end a dirt road goes down to a pinic area just up from bellfield flyfishing in front & to the right go a few rainbows & 1 brown on matuka patterns (wet fly slow retrieve or figure 8 retrive)(matuka patterns also work in toolondo) never got to fish fyans (bloody weather) had a look at the place, what i could see looked good.Rocklands when it was full was a bit harder to fish, for me anyhow fish had a lot of places to hide. however my first troll in the boat out in front of the ramp i caught a nice plump 1.5 kilo rainbow proberbly with in a good fly cast from shore.Good fishing. Joe.