Your greatest fight

It could be for its speed, power to weight ratio, surrounds, or the gear you were using....what was your toughest ever opponent that you landed? Mine goes down as a modest 20lb king from the T section of the Old rapid bay jetty. It hammered a live chow and sulked down deep in shortening concentric circles that shaved the barnacle encrusted pylons. I was forced to lock up and go for broke on my old Rangoon cane rod before eventually planking this dirty street fighter.

Biggest capture was a big Ray from Semaphore jetty that took a live tommy. It took me ages to bring it in on my GH Viper and 4500J Phantom. This thing would of been 5ft+ across. A genuine back breaking monster! I think Bjorn did do some stints on the rod though so not sure if that counts. lolBut the most memorable fight I ever had, I didnt land the fish but suspect it was a monster Murray cod of 60+ plus pounds and then someThis cod took me on numerous massive long steady runs, as I was only using six pound mono and this thing was not going to budge once in close. I hooked it on a purple tasmanian devil and thought I had snagged a huge boulder until it freightrained out of there. Me and JW then took it in turns in fighting it but popped it just under our feet and still just out of sight. Its a battle that still gives me shivers thinking about it to this day!It was like trying to reel in a marlin on 4lb. lol, or shooting an elephant with a bb gun. was just hoping and praying the hole time. Batle raged on for 40plus minutes in freshwater, which is unheard of, and both of us were taking it in turns in fighting it.

11.5 kg red out of wallaroo. the reddog used all its nouse to do me but pulled her up. tide was raging and was a decent swell and breeze to contend with. shuano was suprised my rig even got the big dog up after he inspected haha. fair to say my knots are a bit better and rigging a bit tidier these days :) second was 75cm red on a lucanus on a luvias 2500r. ten lb braid. best fun ever. third a 12.5 kg southern blue. way to much gear for it to get away but it smashed the skirt before the boat was moving and bail arm closed in front of me face. epic :)

So I was walking down the street and got smashed from beh..... Oh wait different fight. But yeah best fight 40kg Eagle Ray on my 3-5kg Sahara and 2500 Symetre off Largs Beach. The Symetre was singing a lovely tune until the backing :dry: so i decided to put the brakes on the 8lb braid and luckily it came to a halt. Around 1 hour later the ray got tired and the big fella finally got beached. A quick weigh with the help of my friend and I wanted the ray back in the water ASAP. She got a bit of life to her and swum back the the flats happily!

A genuine 30lb snapper in 9 foot of water on a 4000 daiwa regal baitrunner with 2 short pieces of cheap 15lb braid joined together in the middle. My heart sank when i saw the join knot peel off the spool on one of the big early runs. Lots of patience and wishful thinking finally saw it over the side of the boat about 15 or 20 mins later. Happy days, and new line on the reel!Saltybeard

Mine would be this 9kg Snapper.Was fishing for mulloway in a little 3m gutter and this thing hit and went berserk. Thought it was a monster mulloway, id never caught a mully over 9 kg at that stage, and this beast seemed like it must be my holy grail Jewie!The fish had two really hard runs, but then every time I turned it, it would take off again :laugh:I started to think something was weird, cos it just didn't seem right for a mulloway :silly:When I first saw the red flanks I nearly fell out the boat with surprise! a long time after I saw color, the fish was finally calm enough for me to attempt to land (I was solo).When it hit the deck, I stood there just staring down at it with my legs shaking.... No way had I pulled a big red out of such a little hole!Amazing experience that was, and a ridiculously mental fight!! :woohoo:Even.if.I told you where I caught it, nobody would believe me :laugh: but that's cool with me... My own little magical fishing moment ;)DSC_0308_2013-03-15.JPG

had some epic fights over ther years,smooties and blacks have to be the tuffest most stouch opponents out there when the get big.150sg smoothie of brighton on a pen 6/0 was a good 45min+but the hardest was a massive black ray off edithburg jetty years ago on an inter 30 an 15kg,well over an hour fight big as a car bonnet and estimated over 200kg,probly had 4-500m line out on him at 1 point.gotta say though after a few trips down to the south coast in the last coupla months the bluefin are mad!just dont give in,watched my mate fight 1 for 40+ mins in bad conditions while seasick just couldnt get close enough for the gaff shot,poped off within 10feet of the boat.

Mine would have to be the 49cm silver I got in a local dam.On my (then) faourite comobo I had fished for 2 hours with lures and not had a sniff. Then I saw a dead yabby in the shallows, picked it up and pulled the head off.I put the head on a #2 hook about 30cm below a little clip on float. Cast out and made a little rod holder out of rocks. That came off after 10 minutes so I went back and put the tail on.Litterally took two steps away from the holder when WHACK something smashed it. :woohoo: The 8 pound was going through the guides in short determined bursts, then it swam towards me then all of a sudden ripped back! Breaking the 3000 jarvis walkers in gear/out of gear system at the same time! Now to say the fighthad changed would be an understatment, reeling backward when it really went and retrievng line when it angled. It was really hard determining wheather it was pulling to hard or not.That fish was one of only two I have ever had to chase up the bank to land, man it thought hard for it's size and scared the bejeasous out of me. :clap:

On a more serious note.I'd have to say a 4ft gummy I got off Gleesons in the boat fishing a deep reef in 120ft+.It wasn't necessarily the best fighter but it was an epic battle because I was only 13 years old and trying to reef this thing up from such a depth.Next would be my avatar pic. This snapper's first two runs were massive, and on a light outfit, were hard to stop. I've never had a snapper run like that.Have also got Eagle rays out deep off Corny which go nuts. Wicked to watch when they sit 3ft under the surface and go on 50-100m runs.Also had a great fight with a little Hammerhead too, which was great fun.

This probably doesnt count as I never actually landed it!, but my most memorable fight was with a huge smoothy off the little jetty at Port Julia. I fought it on a jarvis walker snapper rod (solid glass) and a large tatler reel from the UK with 50lb mono (schnieder) which lasted for 6 hrs. I hooked it at 6pm and the never saw it until about 11pm, I knew it was big as it felt like it was just patrolling its beat for the first few hours, like it wasnt even hooked, so I uped the anty and gave it some stick , which just made it mad and it took off for Adelaide. It ran for twenty minutes , stripping all but 20 or so meters of line off the reel, then turned south and with lots of pressure I had it by the jetty about midnight. It then tried to go between the pylons at the end and hit both poles on either side, it backflipped and the line went ping. I fell backward almost off the other side of the jetty LOL. The next morning I measured between the pylons and it was 9'6". I have caught numerous rays since but that was the most memorable, except for being pinned at the end of Turton jetty watching helplessly as a 1000m of 60lb line was stripped off a 10/0 senator in what seemed like seconds, thank god for a mate who cut the line or I would have been skiing towards lincoln.

a pelican on 6lb' date='peeled a heap of line and took flight on several occasions so i had to give chase in the boat.I eventually got it to the boat and got my lure back as well as a few spiteful pecks. cheers brenton[/quote']yea i caught a shag on my whiting rig last time i went out, i cast it out and the shag dived for the squid on it and copped a hook in the wing. i wound it in, unhooked it and sent it on its way, it swam about 100m from the boat and sulked after that but it was ok

Yeah i hooked up to a Cormrant in mid flight one time . Cast my lure and as i watch my lure go up in the air then down with the line making a nice loop , the bird flew straight under the loop and hooked the line with it's wing . Watched the lure pop out the water and track straight to the bird . Line starts peeling of a a high rate on knots . I just grabbed the spool and snapped the line . Best fish however was a 80cm Mulloway on 4lb line . Hooked up and it just went nuts . Was in the Mully Magnet and had to chase it around for 15min and 400meters up the river i managed to net it . best fight i had and an achievement on 4lb line .

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a 9 day fishing trip, least said about that the better, and came across this thread. The Wahoo in my Avatar went 20+kg on 50lb stand up gear, I'm only a little bloke & I reckon it put as much hurt on me as it did the fish. Big charter boats like to keep some way on when you're fighting a fish so I've got the boat going one way and a Wahoo doing what felt like 100km/hr in the other, I seriously didn't think it was going to stop. When finally landed we discovered it was foul hooked near the tail, no wonder it went so hard. Many years ago fishing out of a 12 foot tinny at fishermans beach channel hooked a black ray on 20lb mono that was waaaay biger than the boat, that towed us around for over half an hour with the drag locked up. When the barb came over the gunwhale we decided to cut it off :ohmy: 4lb brown trout on 3lb mono in Victoria, that fight went hard and long in a small snag filled pool!Almost spooled by an unseen monster in the bay at Stansbury last week on 10lb braid. Take your pick :cheer:

Not too foul at all.... Bit tough to admit this but I was stretched to my limits by a robust feral goldfish in the river torrent on 1kg 'cobweb' tackle.... At one stage the bug eyed critter had stripped 120 yards of damyl from my spool and had fouled the line amongst the myriad of probes and transducers underneath the keel of 'Popeye 3'. The fish was eventually grassed not too far from the king William street bridge, and later that gay weighed in at 1490 grams (gutted) on the scales of the Grange fish and chip shop.