Flawed science and outdated web-site

What's going on here????http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/sa/watch/92874e80-8223-32f9-a458-bfbb951acafa/big-machines-tackle-seagrass-at-glenelg/http://www.epa.sa.gov.au/xstd_files/Water/Report/seagrass.pdf

JM,I used to live at Port Victoria as a kid and every year beginning in Autumn there would be seaweed like this. And the bay is far more protected than at Glenelg. In fact there are lots of spots in the state where the seaweed isn't gone until Dec/Jan. It needs to dry out and with a decent tide it floats out. We probably just don't see it so much because of the amounts of seagrass lost. I know every year it does drift North and builds up in the vicinity of North Haven, OH Breakwater etc.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is hilarious. :laugh:Everyone knows that more FAD,s and artificial reefs attract more fish,that in turn attract more New Zealand Fur Seals,that eat more Fairy Penguins.

Do you believe that, that is their only job?From their own words: (1) An object of this Act is to protect, manage, use and develop the aquatic resources ofthe State in a manner that is consistent with

Posted Images

I was hoping to read a two page report from a person who has a biological background but the ones doing most of the writing are the ones claimed to be simpletons... This is despite Ranger's invitation... OH well, I'm a psychologist and I refuse to bog you down with a 5 page report on my understanding of this matter. I'll just say that you're stubborn.

Hi TacklebagsThanks for your enquiry regarding artificial reefs:• Fisheries promoted and provided tyre module artificial reefs in the 1970’s and 80’s.• Since 1993, Fisheries has taken the conservative approach and discouraged the construction of any additional artificial reefs in State waters.• FRDC recently funded a review of artificial reefs in Australia, and Guidelines for their use have been developed as part of this project http://www.frdc.com.au/research/Documents/Final_reports/2010-400-DLD.pdf• Other states have artificial reef programs, but all recent deployments have all been undertaken with full environmental assessment and monitoring programs that are associated with them• In Australia there is a still a division within the science community as to whether these actually work to increase fish production or just make the fish easier to target, and this varies with the conditions of the habitat/water that the reef is put in, and the size of the reef• Artificial reefs have been talked about recently as potential offsets due to cumulative access loss for recreational and commercial fishers• RecFish SA support the use of artificial reefs, but do not support indiscriminate marine dumpingGiven the conditions that you have indicated in your post above (funding and science), PIRSA is open to investigating the costs and benefits (ecological, social and economic) of establishing artificial reefs.RegardsKeith Rowling | Program Leader, Community Based FisheriesPIRSA Fisheries and Aquaculture

Thanks Keith for the reply and FRDC report. I will keep that one for future reference.

Given the conditions that you have indicated in your post above (funding and science), PIRSA is open to investigating the costs and benefits (ecological, social and economic) of establishing artificial reefs.

That is good to hear. I would hope that with the aid of scientists, AR's designed to compliment/regenerate the exisiting marine environment (not detrimentally change it) for the benefit of marine life and all stakeholders not just fishers, would be attractive to government.CheersTB