Cuttlefish Ban - Spencer Gulf

Maybe putting a halt on the Whyalla desal plant would also be a good "precautionary measure".You know the one, at Point Lowly....situated adjacent to the giant cuttlefish breeding grounds and newly developed marine park.Oh no, forget that, it just happened to fall outside the boundary didn't it....silly me!

Like to see the hard data supporting the 90% decline ?? or is it just conservation spin !

Most definately a huge decline around the Point Lowly Peninsula, which is regarded as the major breeding ground. As for anywhere else i wouldnt know. Only locals that regulary fish for them would have any idea.
Maybe putting a halt on the Whyalla desal plant would also be a good "precautionary measure".You know the one....situated adjacent to the giant cuttlefish breeding grounds and newly developed marine park.Oh no' date=' forget that, it just happened to fall outside the park boundary didn't it....silly me![/quote']Thats not going ahead now Ranger, i think due to the halt on the Olympic Dam expansion.
Ahh' date=' my nipples have just exploded with delight! :cheer: So I'm confusing Onesteel's $10M plant with the proposed $700M plant?[/quote']Yea two completely different things. The proposed $700 million plant was BHP Billitons animal that was going to be built on the Lowly pen. Onesteel have their own much smaller version onsite at Whyalla. For now Lowly is safe, who knows what the future holds :dry:

ARs will save em :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ostracising just a touch there fridge. Certainly some designs could be made to suit the cuddlies breeding habitat no doubt.
im just running around in circles tb,yes i believe in ARs,but its a bloody waste of time if they cant survive in thier slowly degrading enviroment.the sea life being washed up lately maybe good proof of that,was this event happening 70+ years ago when primarily the enviroment was untouched by the impact of modern society.my belief is that the sea creatures were able to survive these so called affects of warmer water etc due to its quality,can someone please prove that i am wrong on this ridiculous absurd idea so that i can purge it from my soul :(
ARs will save em :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Ostracising just a touch there fridge. Certainly some designs could be made to suit the cuddlies breeding habitat no doubt.
im just running around in circles tb' date='yes i believe in ARs' date='but its a bloody waste of time if they cant survive in thier slowly degrading enviroment.the sea life being washed up lately maybe good proof of that,was this event happening 70+ years ago when primarily the enviroment was untouched by the impact of modern society.my belief is that the sea creatures were able to survive these so called affects of warmer water etc due to its quality,can someone please prove that i am wrong on this ridiculous absurd idea so that i can purge it from my soul :([/quote'']Degradation is a huge factor and often placed in the too hard basket or overlooked for profits.Who knows with these cuttlefish especially with increasing predator effects happening in the area?I know two NZ fur seal colonies have moved into the area. I saw the photos.

not bad ayi vaguely remember the early 80s in my high school days that the gov was getting into the lets look after our marine enviroments,with a quick google i came across the so called first report released on the degradation of the enviroment with the affects on marine life dated 1998 another 5 years that will make it 20 with little change to infra structure.then lets put more pressure on it further down the track with desals and an over abundance of bloody seals.fark the government cant balance the books and they think they can balance aquatic life :S https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CD4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pir.sa.gov.au%2F__data%2Fassets%2Fpdf_file%2F0011%2F13133%2Ffish_habitat_handbook.pdf&ei=s19XUYXlN4T_iAegrIGYCQ&usg=AFQjCNGdPnyqhdaT3LwmzY_Ld2ZOH_R1QQ&bvm=bv.44442042,d.aGcseems some seals have fixed their population explosion themselves http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/starving-sea-lion-pups-fill-california-rescue-centres-on-us-west-coast-8554940.html

pirsa thread.. "report sightings of Giant Cuttlefish in areas where they previously may not have been seen to help monitor their movement and aggregation" hmm.. what would that mean? more red zone :whistle:

Seen plenty, but DEWNR in particular would ban fishing at any opportunity. Any lack of info from fishers on cuttlefish would be caused by their own stupidity.