Spike In Shark Sightings SA

There have already been 52 reported shark sightings this year, compared to 38 at the same time last year.

Dear lord, a one-third increase over a particular time-frame. Everybody, panic...all those swimmers in the water over the next stinking hot month or so now in jeopardy, you are now one-third more likely not to be aware of a toothy having come within a couple of hundred metres of you adelaide metro...and please ensure you swim between the flags during the upcoming heatwave low-20s days with showers and south-westerlies over Easter, y`all!No chance of a species-specific numbers breakdown by any chance?Slow news week by any chance? :vomit:

"....Ohhhh wow, one of our viewers sent in an awesome GW vid""Well we can show it as is orrrrrrrr we can extrapolate the hell out of it, pull some stats out of our arses, our core viewers are stupid enough to watch Today Tonight so they swallow this hook, line and sinker...""Yeah option two...Definitely"Jannnnnne, Johnnnnnnnnn...

The restrictions came for safety for swimmers' date=' everyone knows there is sharks but we shouldnt be attracting them to a hook,to just you wanna feel tough cos u hooked a shark. good thing is no attacks in metro waters maybe thats just luck or could put it down to the ban, time will tell[/quote']Not so smart are ya mate? When was the last Fatal shark attact of a metropolitan beach buddy? Not to sure about one bait floating with 2 hooks attract sharks either :blink: Not even gonna bother. U obliviously havnt got a clue.
The restrictions came for safety for swimmers' date=' everyone knows there is sharks but we shouldnt be attracting them to a hook,to just you wanna feel tough cos u hooked a shark. good thing is no attacks in metro waters maybe thats just luck or could put it down to the ban, time will tell[/quote']I can understand the emotive reasons behind your concern brendan, but Shark fishing has been a common practice from all Adelaide metropolitan beaches and jetties for 100 years. In that time, there have been two shark attacks along the Adelaide metro coast line and both were unrelated to shark fishing. I think those figures alone speak volumes on the safety of shark fishing.Any time you enter the water, chances are there is some species of shark within 500 metres of you. Just because you don't see them 99 times out of 100 it doesn't mean they're not there. There are tens of thousands of them out there and they're not going to change their behaviour because of a couple of baits in the water. The hype and hyperbole that surrounds this issue in the press should not be believed. The sharks are there, they have migration patterns that they've been following for thousands of years and as I said, do you honestly believe that a few baits in the water are going to change thousands of years of instinct? Bronze Whalers, which are the main target of sharkers, are not inclined to attack humans anyway. We are much too big for them to consider as prey as they mainly feed on bait fish and squid. Great Whites are the main shark in this gulf which may attack a human and they have much better and more prolific food sources to hang around than having to scavenge baits in shallow waters near jetties.
brendanc

The restrictions came for safety for swimmers,

Respectfully beg to differ - it was a politically and ideologically driven construct due to the sensibilities and, more to the point, "sensitivities" of mum/dad/kids or beach suburb residing moralising labradoodle-walking yuppies being affronted by the sight of someone reeling in a bronzie.The restrictions were brought in notwithstanding this advice to the Fisheries Council nearly 1 1/2 years ago...Shark Fishing and BerleyingThe meeting was advised that this item was referred to the Fisheries Council by the Minister who had requested advice on the issue of fishing for sharks and berleying off metropolitan jetties and beaches. Shark experts Mr Barry Bruce (CSIRO) and Mr Paul Rogers (SARDI) were invited to the meeting to provide a briefing on the effect of sharks and berleying to members. Mr Peter Dietman, Director Fisheries and Aquaculture Operations also attended the meeting to provide advice on enforcement and compliance issues.It was noted that:- The expert advice suggests that the cryptic behaviour of sharks is unpredictable. Sharks are very often present in an area but are not seen by people.- It is difficult to prevent the use of all types of berley and any attempt to regulate specific bait or berley types is problematic.- The level of berleying from recreational fishing activities is unlikely to cause any significant changes in shark behaviour.- Other fishing activities such as berleying associated with Garfish fishing and baiting of net/pots for Blue Swimmer Crabs also involves the use of fish products in inshore areas.- Further restrictions on shark berleying is unlikely to reduce the future risk of shark incidents along the South Australian metropolitan beaches.- The dimension of the issue at this stage is not of a large scale and is raised by media and others every year during the warmer months.- Education and awareness programs are in place and community behaviour appears to have been modified resulting in a decrease in illegal berleying activity in recent years.- The existing legislative provisions are satisfactory in preventing people in engaging in unreasonable or inappropriate behaviour in shark fishing / berleying activities.It`s an interesting thread;http://www.strikehook.com/forum/98-recfish-sa-formerly-sarfac/189772-shark-fishing?limit=15&start=30#191907A lot of lobbying, politics, media grabs and self-righteous social activism was involved....
The restrictions came for safety for swimmers' date=' everyone knows there is sharks but we shouldnt be attracting them to a hook,to just you wanna feel tough cos u hooked a shark. good thing is no attacks in metro waters maybe thats just luck or could put it down to the ban, time will tell[/quote']U4l said two attacks in a hundred years.. so how could you possiibly put that down to the ban thats been in place for not even two years ? Stop listening to the news reporters and try and think for yourself.Hate to see you crabbin off the jetty with a crab net full of fish ?? if a fish bait is what brings them in and makes them wana eat humans there is no difference to having a snook out or your crab net full of smelly frames.And now i know why i spend all my money on good gear and all the hours on jettys.. so i can catch a shark and be tuff :blink:

SHARKS are everywere! I wouldn't go swimming ALONE in a lagoon in THE TOP END OFF THIS COUNTRY, and i wouldn't go walking ALONE IN THE JUNJIE JUNGLES OFF AFRICA!!!I certainly wouldn't go for a DIP OR SURF ALONE along our BEACHES!!!Put me in the water with 100,000 other swimmers on a hot day and ill take those odds.. !!!THINK ABOUT IT!!!If u get eaten! U JUST WERE UNLUCKY OR STUPID!!!Cant blame the fishos on the jetty or the thousands off boats crabbing and using burly pots a few extra ks out from our beaches!!