Thinking of planning a small trip 4-7 days, over to Port Victoria next year but can't decide what time of the year. Weather averages for over there look better for wind around April, but then temperatures and rain fair better around September/October. It's around either one of these two times I was thinking of planning a small trip.As I would be taking a boat, weather plays a big part in trip planning. I know there are some "Ball Slappa" whitting over that way. Apparently some nice snapper and Squid as well, and I just love my tommies. Not looking for huge fish, just a small mixed bag would be nice. Besides, we would be staying at a powered tent site at the C/Park and certainly won't have the ability to keep many anyway. Just looking for a fun few days without being stuck in the tent or the pub becasue of weather. I've been there only once about 7 years ago, for 3 days with a mate without a boat. We spent the whole 3 days in the pub becasue the Westerlys and rain just didn't stop.I don't want anyones secret spots, I have a few to explore over there in that time frame anyway. I more interested in what time of the year would be considered more productive with boat fishing vs weather rather than spots. Cheers.

I've found February to be the best all round month for fish - Whiting in numbers but generally a little smaller in size (still good fish though!), plenty of rugger snapper, squid, and XOS snook. Feb is a bit hit and miss with the weather though. May is my pick for BIG whiting and better weather, don't do quite as well on the other species although they're still about. I've struggled to work out the bigger snapper over that way, only one session with fish to 6kg but mostly I get them under 4kg there and more so around the 2kg mark. Really good eating fish at that size but the bigger ones are so much more fun! The bigger ones must be there but have proven a little elusive for me, maybe I need to talk to Like a Sturgeon.

best to go when the wind has settled down anywhere from mid november to mid march and if your planing to fish around wardang island i would take a decent sized boat last time i was there i was fishing the northern end of wardang island in a 5 meter inboard and a white pointer came up alongside and cleared the boat by a foot and half easily

Thanks to all for the replies. Most have told me the fishing there is good all year round and it more than likely is. I'm definatley looking more towards picking the right time for weather as it can get rather windy and nasty there at the wrong times. I think late October is looking good so far. If the snapper are not big, I'm not to worried. Sure they are nicer to catch, but a small bag of ruggers will keep me just as satisfied. In the 3 years I've had my boat I must have caught over 200 snapper at Wirrina, but all around 26cm, so you can understand my frustration. If I can catch just 1 that is finally a keeper to throw in a hot pan of garlic butter then I'll think I've hit the jackpot. If I can pick up a small mixed bag of snapper,whitting, squid and tommies I'll consider the trip was well worth it.I'm taking a 5.5 meter boat/inboard. Hopefully that will do the trick. I'm not sure that I'm too keen on seeing white pointers up close and personal. As I've never fished there, I'll be playing with a lot of caution the first time around until I learn a little more about the area. Looks like just me and 1 mate going, powered tent site, 5 days, small bar fridge and small bar freezer, and a bit of camping gear. Hopefully some good weather, some good fishing, a few brews around the camp site at night and two boys talking a bit of bullshit and come home with some pics to post.Thanks all again for replies.