Circle/ recurve hook snapper rigs thoughts please

Hello guys, does any one have any experience using circles ? For snapper around the metro area please, , I have read that some Victorian anglers use a occy or j hook hook above the circle as a stinger hook and to also assist in presenting bigger baits ( for bigger reds ) .,., then some others suggest just using a bigger circle hook and pin a tommy / whiting head through the top and bottom jaw , Lip area '! and let them swing in the tide, I have also read that offset circles are not as effective as those that Are a flat ( non offset ) style, all very interesting I think! Also are they effective in shallow water ( less than 4 meters) or do they suit the deeper areas ? Cheers blokes, unstable

That's great Damien, good info and thank you for passing it on, do you let the rod load up without striking? ie , Is the rod sitting in the holder or do you actively fish it ? Any thoughts about skinny water and circles, also I am finding I am getting better results using mono , cheers cooki

All I use is circles when chasin the big chaps I use owner tournament inline 10/o's either running sinker or paternoster depending if we drift or anchor only the one hook with plenny of exposed hook 90% lip hook rate & you do get all sizes of fish even when using these larger hooks My other choice if we chase ruggers is gamakatsu 5/0 -6/0 circles,again only single hook with plenny exposure got Moggy23 to make me up a heap of 5/0`s I found in an old bag the other day Cheers and good luck 4THA

That's great Damien' date=' good info and thank you for passing it on, do you let the rod load up without striking? ie , Is the rod sitting in the holder or do you actively fish it ? Any thoughts about skinny water and circles, also I am finding I am getting better results using mono , cheers cooki[/quote']To go on from 4THA, most of the time the rod is in the rod holder & when they're on the bite or drifting, naturally we're are holding the rod, I always set the circles as I've seen HSV loose a couple PBs due to not setting the hook. Depends on my mood to weather I let them run or not when I do set the hooks.My favorite is 6.0 to 8.0 circles, still lands ruggers.We all use braid, but it doesn't matter, it's what suits you B)http://www.strikehook.com/forum/42-metropolitan/185616-a-fair-session-indeed?start=30http://www.strikehook.com/forum/12-fishing-footage/185786-snapper-action-footage

Yes circles are deadly. I use twin circles on every bait I throw at snapper except for whiting heads where I will use a single 6/0. All my circles are Gamakatsu Octopus circles and are set in strike/fighting drag whilst sitting in the rod holder or if im holding the rod at the time.Quite often when fishing in amongst ruggers its possible to leave your rod in the holder and numerous ruggers will tap at it until finally one that is big enough will swallow the hook and load your rod up.All of our big reds are caught this way, but normally with big baits ie whole tommies, big chunks of squid or half slimey Macks.Shallow water is no different, but if reef fishing and the fish are smaller in size we normally still run twin circles but downsize the bait a little.In my opinion there is no need to have your stinger hook as a standard mustard pattern. Ive had great results for many years running twin circles snoozed 10-12cm apart.For me though, I never let a snapper run with the bait. Circles by design are meant to be load up in the corner of the mouth and normally they set with fighting drag the moment the fish turns or moves away and the hooks pull tight in there mouth. By letting them swim away your just giving them more time to drop the bait. But again this is just opinion. I even fish circles unweighted in shallow water with reel in gear. as soon as the fish hits it and runs you get an instant hook upI also agree with Moggy that once the fish is hooked. it pays to give the rod one firm lift to set the hook properly, but only after you feel the fishes weight on your rod. And of course there is nothing wrong with running single circle hook rigs as well.

i have my rods in a HORIZONTAL rod rack with about 1 - 2 kg of drag pressure set. with that tension they usually hook themselves and dont have to strike. i belive if u strike with circles they dont hook up as well. another great thing about using circles is that they very very rarely get gut hooked which is much better for the fish if you intend on releasing. good luck.

i have my rods in a HORIZONTAL rod rack with about 1 - 2 kg of drag pressure set. with that tension they usually hook themselves and dont have to strike. i belive if u strike with circles they dont hook up as well. another great thing about using circles is that they very very rarely get gut hooked which is much better for the fish if you intend on releasing. good luck.

Funny you brought this up, have been talking about this subject to few mates about what angle should the rod be at.I agree with you say with deep water, depending on tide run, having them HORIZONTAL, but saying that I have bent my rod rack up a little.In shallower waters say up to 15 mtrs I've been working with the rods in the standard angle rod holders.Reason, once a fish has taken the bait & the drag has been pre set & thats light, watch how much a quality rod bends, it's almost perfect bend in the angle rod holder & that way it keeps good pressure on the hook until it's been set properly, if it hasn't already.Just food for thought B)

So much useable and practical info guys ,!! Cheers Damien,mog,4the and unhooked. I will be utilising many of you concepts when I sneak out under the cover of darkness to my spot Xs. Also. I am about to start tying my own snapper flashers onto 7/0 circles to experiment with something different and to try and do some fine tuning.. Once again many thanks guys, cooki