SMOKING???????????

As of yet only used redgum in my cheapo box smoker.Recon most gum sould be fine just make sure it's well seasoned to get rid of as much of the voatile stuff, kinda as you would for a slow combusion heater.Have been saving up some nice seasoned plum & apple branches to drop the saw thru, recon they should smoke well. Certainly smells awesome coming out the chimney in winter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

G'day

You should avoid sawdust from chainsaws as it contains oil

I bought a couple of large bags of sawdust from master butchers (redgum and beechwood) I used a mix of both.

Samastini.

I used brine mixes for a while and even though I love salt, we found it much too salty to the taste.

So I cut it down to half, too salty, then 1/4 and then did a complete rethink.  I considered the litres of brine, the mess and the cost.  

I decided to try just applying a small amount of flavour direct to the fish, heavy use of salt to preserve is not necessary, I vacuum pack in serves and freeze.

So, my new method, is quick, easy, makes much less mess and tastes great.  I mix up some sauces in about equal parts, sweet chilli, soy or light soy or honey soy, some brown sugar, put the fish straight on the smoker racks and paint the mix on.  Then I prepare and light the smoker and when it's all ready about 45 mins later, stick the racks in the smoker for a 40 mins to an hour (size of fish and temp dependent)

Tastes great and so much simpler

By the way for others who also have a Hark smoker, after my first few times of using it I realised that the water in the tray was not contributing much as it was cold to start.  So now I boil up a jug full of water which is put in the pan just before the fish, so plenty of steam

Cheers

Rod

G'day Samastini

No worries

My concoction had soy (light soy actually) but if you don't like it you could try other flavours, oyster sauce for instance

My main point was that I don't think it's necessary to make big quantities of brine with all the associated mess and time to get a quality result

I made a cup full of mix for 4 trays of fish last time and that was too much.  Most of my smoked fish has the skin on apart from tuna and I just brush it on the flesh

The few brine recipes I've seen all had soy from memory

I've getting some ideas of stuff to put on the fish.

Here's a recipe posted elsewhere by Noelm it's similar to others, I tried a few variations but all similar result

Cheers

Rod

smoking brine recipe.JPG

It wasn't me who started the post it was Carstens but no worries.

I would like to smoke some fish and poultry.Can I use gum branches (sawdust)???Has anybody tried this before?What can you recommend? other than buying sawdust off the shelfAny help will be greatly appreciatedThankyou