baitcast vs spinning reels

ok guy's I am after some info about baitcast vs spinning reels. I have had a bit of a search through the forum and couldn't really find anything. I am not asking which is a better reel because I believe they both have there own uses. I am probably 50/50 land based and boat fisherman (learner fisherman). I have always used spinning reels because that is what I know, I have no dramas with them and quite comfortable using them. However I am open to new ideas and quite often see people using baitcasters. 90% of the time when I fish (salt water) I am using bait. Please correct me if I am wrong, am I right with assuming that baitcasters are mostly used with soft plastics, lures, hard bodies etc. I believe that baitcasters are more accurate for casting which would be a big plus when fishing snags in fresh water. I also have no idea about what size reels the baitcasters come in, most of my fishing with spinning reels is done with reels in the range of 1500-6000. The last bit I am curious about is which hand is preferred to wind. I am and I know a lot of people who generally wind with their right hand (using spinning reels)but when using a baitcaster wind with their left. Appreciate your thoughts.

You are correct about what the yanks use them for and thats throwing lures. They call them baits, softbaits, spinnerbaits stick and hardbaits etc. I have a few that i use on the boat mainly for trolling, whitting fishing and jigging lures while on the drift. To me when on the drift thats when they shine as you have alot more control of the line and can keep your bait in a sand hole for longer or if you feel a bite take your thumb off the spool and keep your bait near the fish. When the driftspeed picks up its much easier to let out line and stay in contact with the bottom.I use my Shimano 200 Curados for whiting to snapper, great sized reel fits in the palm of your hand and loves the big fish.IMO we should hold the rod in our stronger/prefered side and wind with the other.If you get 1 take a saftypin with you and practice casting with the wind in your back, turn any brake control up and goodluck

IMHO,Spinning reels reign when using very light weights such as bream lures. Baitcasters are not nearly so efficient at casting 3 grams, and can be less accurate.Low profile baitcasters are fantastic for heavier lures, maybe 6-8 grams and over. They are good for barra type fishing as lure placement in this weight range is easy and accurate, although spinning reels can also be used.Bottom bashing for whiting and snapper etc is a personal preference thing, both types work well.For surfcasting, both lures and long distances for bait, I much prefer overheads as I find them great to use and to tune, although threadlines work well too. Overheads off the beach are not for everyone, it really comes down to personal preference here too.Cheers!SB

I should just clarify my earlier post about accuracy with a baitcaster, it's only with the ultra light weight that there is an issue, up to maybe 3-4 grams. On the cast, the lure tends to "pull" in towards the rod as the spool is starting up, depending on the style of cast. This is particularly noticeable when casting sideways, but with heavier weights is not an issue at all.Cheers!SB