Hi all, thought I would share with you my Salt and Pepper Recipe I use. It's reasonable quick and easy but I know two of the most fussiest eaters and they both love it!!I don't do anything fancy with my squid, like soak it in anything for a day. These squid were caught a few hours earlier and basically cleaned then cooked. Ingredients: Squid Lemon pepper, I will explain portioning later. Salt Flour ( I believe, if you are gluten intolerant, you can use corn flour?) Milk Oil for cooking, I used rice bran.1.jpgI prefer to open up my squid and then cut it into strips rather then make rings, I see no problem with making it into rings if you are that way inclined but I don't know if you would get the same texture. There is a sort of soft side of the squid, the inside I assume, find that side. Once you have, score lines into it, from side to side on a 45 degree angle from the top. 2.jpgThe goal is to cut 1 cm boces into it, which should hopefully look something like this. Note, Don't cut through the squid, only want to score one side. 3.jpgMixing the actual coating, in this example I had about 2 cups of flour, roughly 2-3 tablespoons of LP and I also add a little extra salt and this was for 6 smallish squid . How I check if it is enough is by smelling the mixture, the mixture will give off a really lemony smell, that's when I know I have a good amount. 4.jpgThis photo shows how I have scored and cut the squid into about an inch wide strips. Chuck the strips into a container of milk, make sure to cover them well so the mixture sticks to it. 5.jpgOnce they are "milked" roll them in the mixture thoroughly, making sure to cover all of the squid. 6.jpgI really recommend trying just one to begin with to make sure everything is right, if you own a deep fryer, that will make it alto easier but if not and cooking on a stove top with a saucepan like this, it's important to get it the right temp range. Trying to evenly space the squid, throw it in, it literally takes 30 - 45 seconds to cook, again cook one, take it out and try it. I usually know when it is done by the colour, but that isn't always right. Also this is the sort of consistency you want on the squid. 7.jpgOnce they're are all cooked, time to eat. Goes great with some Aioli and a minimum chips from up the local. Enjoy and let me know how it goes and any feed back you have :D :D 8.jpg

Bloopers As I stressed, check the oil first, I let it get to hot and the whole thing boiled over, that is why a couple of the squid are browner then the rest. It resulted in a burnt finger and an extremely oiling stove top. You can see a bit of the mess here!!!9.jpgThanks for readying, enjoy :D :D
not bad' date=' i dust mine in plain flour then straight in hot oil, drain then salt & pepper BUT this recipe here posted couple days ago by another member takes the cake.. http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/11650627557/0c3bedb489183ecb8f4e671b3cefa779going to try it next time i get squid ..hint hint cfr B)[/quote']Next time i catch some squid, i am going to give it a try, looks alright!!Cheers for the advices fellas :D
  • 1 month later...

Good recipe mate but a little tip to save more burnt fingers in the future is to check if the oil is at roughly 180 degrees cut a small cube out of bread shaped like a crouton and put it in the oil, if it browns off in 5 seconds the oil is roughly 180 degrees. no wasted squid and alot safer for the old fingers :lol: I'm a chef by trade as well and alot of chefs cut the squid like that before cooking, helps it cook more evenly and makes it a bit more tender.Touching on the subject of the corn flour if you use a half mixture of both self raising/plain flour and corn flour you'll actually come out with alot crispier squid, You could also substitute milk for corn flour and achieve the same result with the crispiness

• 1 year later...

This is how i did my last couple of batches of squid from the freezer, salt & pepper style.

• 4-5 squid tubes (mid 20cm+)
  • 250 g cornflour
  • 1tbls pepper corns
  • 1tsp salt
  • 1 tsp each garlic, ginger & chilli powders
  • 3 egg whites
  • oil for frying, i used sunflower.
  • newspaper & paper towel.

Thoroughly clean squid & slice tubes into rings. Lay rings out to dry on newspaper & paper towel.

Grind pepper and salt. Mix into flour with remaining spices in a bowl.

Beat eggwhites in a small bowl.

Toss rings in flour mix, dip in egg white and finish off with flour again.

Batch deep fry in hot oil 180-190deg for no more than a min. Test temp with a bit of squid or bread.

Serve straight away with sweet chilli sauce or whatever takes yout fancy.

This time i used the bbq 'casue the deepfryier was hadnt been cleaned from a few times ago. I think it was called a 'roasting dish' or something along those lines?

S&P squid.JPG

I usually use squid once frozen for a while as i find it easier to skin and a little more tender. I gut, remove wings prior to freezing whole tubes.

Tenticles are ok but make better bait than grub.

Wings are a pain in the a**e as they are inconsistent thickness to cook. Last time one rolled up and spat hot oil on my eyelid. This time i ditched the wings and wore my polycarbonate faceshield!

• 2 weeks later...

not bad, i dust mine in plain flour then straight in hot oil, drain then salt & pepper BUT this recipe here posted couple days ago by another member takes the cake.. http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/11650627557/0c3bedb489183ecb8f4e671b3cefa779going to try it next time i get squid ..hint hint cfr B)

I have used this recipe numerous times and it is great. I use an iron wok over the single burner on the bbq. Make sure you get proper chinese cooking wine and not rice wine vinegar.

• 2 weeks later...