Port Stanvac Jetty - Do You Want it Open to Recreational Fishing

Pt Stanvac Jetty - Do you want it open to rec fish  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Pt Stanvac Jetty - Do you want it open to rec fish

• Yes, I would
    • No, I would not

Hi Folks long time no see. Im still around and still a keen fisho! These days I've committed to give a little more back to the pasttime I so much enjoy. Some of you might have seen my friend Shannon post this question on FSA. Either way the reason is that we need to see what fishers want. If you want the Jetty Retained as an all purpose Jetty including recreational fishing please have your say... Watch this space!..............................................................Forget the 'it will never happen' naysayers"IF" it were possible - would you want Port Stanvac Jetty open to recreational fishers as part of Mobil's remediation of the site?With the state election looming on 15 March; this is the best opportunity we've had in years to get a better deal from both major parties. We have not seen a definite ruling on the Stanvac matter.We all have a vote. That is something pollies and councillors understand.We don't live near Stanvac, but if this something recreational fishers want, We are ready to go to work on the issue.There are six MPs whose electorates span the Onkaparinga Council district (the largest potential user base):Bright – Chloe FoxKaurna – John HillMawson – Leon BignellFisher – Bob SuchHeyson – Isobel RedmondReynell – Gay ThompsonThe Council itself has approx 150,000 residents (read ratepayers). Surely it's time to show that the rec fishing sector actually cares about this and a whole other range of issues and will hold their representatives to account.If this is something we want we will create a website and Facebook page for people to show that they care about this issue. The purpose of the website/Facebook page will be to simply show numbers (I envisage A LOT).We will also contact the six MPs in the Onkaparinga Council area in writing, the Minister for Fisheries and the Council itself. I will also contact Mobil and the Federal Member for the area and find out the results of her previous website poll and post the results on this forum.So vote away. If you want it, we're ready to actually get the wheels rolling to actually do something with a show of strength (numbers)Cheers...............................................................................

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

G'day All (and not just Rec Fishers like me)As Mobil complete the remediation of the land, a Master Plan for future development of the land and its infrastructure will have to be developed. For such a

just 9 more no's...... :PSeriously, I wouldn't want it open for rec fishing. In a week or two the place would be raped.I reckon the below water structure should be left and open it to diving, that way

Posted Images

Maybe the best outcome would be to use the jetty as a multi-purpose recreational facility?For instance - set it up the same as the Noarlunga jetty with the last third (or whatever) as a strict NTZ and limited to diving and ECO everything? It's a huge jetty.Perhaps the best chance of a good outcome will be if rec fishers and conservationists can get out of the trenches and stop chucking bricks at each other. Together, we might all be able to achieve it.2 cents...Cheers,RJ

Correct me If I'm wrong but I thought I heard Mobil had signed another lease at a lower cost of major clean up?? Financially as a business I can understand why they did it (if that's what has happened) however one day something must happen and south Australians deserve to be able to utilise this amazing place.I have always been an advocate for large restrictions here due to the sanctuary status the place should hold. Plenty of decent fishing near by.That's another No.....

Interesting comments..Thanks to ALL who have responded so far!Keep the responses coming.. I'm very interested to hear how local fishers feel about this. Im also interested to see if there is a difference in opinion along the lines of Boat fishers, compared with landbased fishers, arguably both are facing ever tigher restrictions on places they can fish all around the state.Some might say that there is plenty of good fishing close by, but is there really for the AVERAGE fisher and their family? In terms of easy access to decent water as you go south of Adelaide its, Brightion, Port Norlunga, Rapid Bay.Perhaps this is adequate? Perhaps we could do better?What do you think?

Voted Yes, an "on balance" decision, but bearing in mind the rather important caveat as indicated by RJ.

Maybe the best outcome would be to use the jetty as a multi-purpose recreational facility?For instance - set it up the same as the Noarlunga jetty with the last third (or whatever) as a strict NTZ and limited to diving and ECO everything? It's a huge jetty.

I have previously stated in this forum on another thread that I have reservations about opening it up to fishing (most certainly adjacent boat fishing!) but on further reflection there is the possibility of a win-win middle ground, without compromising the overall integrity of what effectively has been a de-facto aquatic reserve for donkeys years.ale (and others)

Voted no, would be barren wasteland within weeks.

Exactly my initial thoughts, hence the personal reservations.I myself would be more likely to go for a walk along the thing without rod than with - but if managed judiciously with respect to fishing activity, would it not take some pressure off the other metro jetties for a start?BTW I am very impressed that a number of strident voices regularly railing here against the "lock out" and generic anti-fishing mentality have indicated they are opposed to the concept of recfishing off this particular jetty.Perhaps shows that responsible custodianship of a renewable resource ought to be devolved to the people who actually utilise the resource?Dreamin`...

My question is: for how many years have we not been allowed to fish there and what areas has the land based fisho lost around these parts?In my opinion if we are allowed to rape and pillage the jetty (which will happen) it's a small term gain for a long term loss.Just my 2 cents...As for boat fishing...I've been fishing the area by boat since I could walk and never once complained about not being able to fish the restricted area around the jetty. Plenty of options within a couple of K radius

I've had a fair bit of input with this issue as I have been lobbied by my local polly Amanda Rishworth and have had verbal input on her blog site and must confess that I have plumped very heavily on the yes side, more especially because there is a very strong argument that the millions of dollars that Mobil will need to demolish this huge Jetty could be put into a fund to make this jetty a tourist, rec fishing, scuba diving, dog walking, environmental education tool etc. rather than the dismaying option of it being demolished and lost forever to all South Australians!!Talk of a cafe/kiosk, shelters, iconic art works with the added proviso of safety railings and maybe even toilets and BBQ areas with an associated FREE car parking area at the base of the Jetty sounds incredibly appealing to me and make no mistake, Noarlunga Council is showing awesome leadership in getting this project off the ground so I am more than a little amazed that we have so many naysayer's and it brings me around once again to the perception by other States that we in Adelaide are the sleepy old backwater of Australia.The power of the people and the power of positive thoughts and deeds are what is needed here and I for one heartily applaud yakattacks brilliant initiative :clap::clap::clap: Cheers, tonyb.

With the up most respect Tony, all good in a perfect world, but you are putting a lot of faith on a broke council/government that cant even maintain the existing nearby facilities to an except-able, safe standard,let alone get them to build ,fund and maintain such a fun park.Id much rather see cameras at Sullies boat ramp, more pontoons and some better facilities. Open it up to general population, and all I see is a mass killing.A NTZ towards the end is a possibility, but who is going to police it in the middle of the night? Again, no one is policing these activities closer to the CBD,on the banks of easily accessible waterways ,in the middle of a Sunday arvo, why would this jetty be any different? Call me a sinical bastard, but we would be putting a huge amount of faith in people who many are already doing the wrong thing.Make it a sanctuary, like it is atm. Make Mobil pull all the possible contaminants off the thing and let it gracefully disappear into a watery grave.

I've had a fair bit of input with this issue as I have been lobbied by my local polly Amanda Rishworth and have had verbal input on her blog site and must confess that I have plumped very heavily on the yes side' date=' more especially because there is a very strong argument that the millions of dollars that Mobil will need to demolish this huge Jetty could be put into a fund to make this jetty a tourist, rec fishing, scuba diving, dog walking, environmental education tool etc. rather than the dismaying option of it being demolished and lost forever to all South Australians!!Talk of a cafe/kiosk, shelters, iconic art works with the added proviso of safety railings and maybe even toilets and BBQ areas with an associated FREE car parking area at the base of the Jetty sounds incredibly appealing to me and make no mistake, Noarlunga Council is showing awesome leadership in getting this project off the ground so I am more than a little amazed that we have so many naysayer's and it brings me around once again to the perception by other States that we in Adelaide are the sleepy old backwater of Australia.The power of the people and the power of positive thoughts and deeds are what is needed here and I for one heartily applaud yakattacks brilliant initiative :clap::clap::clap: Cheers, tonyb.[/quote']Great point Tony, it would cost Mobil a helluva lot less to fork out some money for taking down the first 100M or so of jetty; it'd cost em a lot less than demolishing the whole facility.That said, the jetty goes way out into the weedline and the impact of allowing it to be fished could hurt our stocks, maybe they should cut it off like the old rapid bay jetty and leave it as a structure for spawning and allow limited diving access for example.Allowing any access of course, could may well be a slippery slope; but there are so many great LB and boat spots around that area so i don't think the average fisho is going to care; especially seeing as we've done just fine without being able to fish there so far...I guess we still need to know more about just how important the structure is for our stocks, it'll likely be a huge boon for fish in the area once the big ships and industrial noise clear up!Summarily, I vote no; the structure is better left alone for our future and keeps lots of fish inland for all those LB anglers (who have it hard enough sometimes). I think it should be another noarlunga reef type deal and should be used for education whether it's opened to the public or not; generations to come deserve as much.
ale

A NTZ towards the end is a possibility, but who is going to police it in the middle of the night? Again, no one is policing these activities closer to the CBD,on the banks of easily accessible waterways ,in the middle of a Sunday arvo, why would this jetty be any different? Call me a sinical bastard, but we would be putting a huge amount of faith in people who many are already doing the wrong thing.

All (sadly) very true, but I am not sure that a potential joint-user outcome should be dismissed out of hand purely for the reason that the fisheries enforcement arm of PIRSA is under-resourced.The same argument could also be used to - ban any LB fishing in SZs just because some people may fish outside the areas where this is proposed to be specifically permitted in SZs- agitate for a complete gulfs snapper ban of three months Nov-Jan inclusive because some people might fish in the proposed spatial closure areasetc etcI stress there is no way I would support a whole-of-jetty "go for it fellas" approach, but I do think there is room for potential partial opening up of the facility to LB fishing - if this is informed by requisite assessment of any conservation-critical issues.Enforcement (or perceived lack thereof) is, I maintain, entirely another matter.For the record, it matters not to me personally whatever the final outcome may be, I just think a partial opening is worthy of consideration as a concept.

Unfortunately I would rather not see the jetty open for fishing.Sorry to land based anglers as I know you need more fishing spots.I firmly believe the area around the jetty is a fish haven for breeding and just resting up - dare I say a "Marine Park"??Fishing that area hard could yet again put a nail in our already fragile metro fish stock.

As kon said, I don't think I'd ever fish from the Stanvac jetty either.But maybe it's worth looking at this from a long term perspective?1. I can't imagine any future circumstance that would ever result in the construction of another public accessible jetty along the metro coast. As the conservationists are so keen on saying, perhaps we too have a duty to look out for future generations of Adelaide rec fishers?2. At the moment there seems to be (I haven't personally experienced it since I'm a boatie) a lot of people who are very willing to break the law with regard to size & bag limits from jetties etc. Perhaps we should be taking steps to persuade the Govt to more effectively police the laws that they themselves have implemented?3. If the Stanvac jetty is demolished - that's it. No chance of changing our minds later even if the rogue elements are brought under control and fish stocks are more effectively protected.Perhaps this is a step too far, but I'd like to suggest that both of these issues need to be resolved in the best interests of the marine environment and rec fishers. Right now, we have the opportunity to help the Govt to make a decision about the Stanvac jetty that will be in the best interests of all. This is a one-shot irreversible decision, and our kids and grand-kids might live to regret that we didn't fight hard enough to retain this facility for the future rec fishers in the Adelaide metro area.A strategy that might meet everyone's goals might be to retain the jetty, but to ban any form of rec fishing from it until more effective(and measurable)enforcement has been put in place by the Govt. I personally believe that this is actually achievable if we are able to apply the right pressure in the right places.2 more cents...Cheers,RJ

To be honest this is a fishing forum' date=' I would be fairly surprised if there are any no votesEDIT: If this gets 10 or more no's I will jump off the Nth Haven breakwater in :c all clothes![/quote']Enjoy your swim, looks cold out there! :P:P:P:P:P:P

Just a little up-date chaps, SARFAC wrote to the CEO of Mobil in Australia 21/2 years ago and as far as I know a reply has never been received. Maybe an indication of their interest ?The letter asked if Mobil would be interested in the development of the jetty for recreational use, including angling.Personally, I don't feel that development would lead to a catastrophy as some of you are suggesting. It should be remembered that a large proportion of anglers in SA don't have a boat, or cannot afford one and a jetty properly set up with toilets ( on shore),etc would create a forum for families to get together and enjoy angling with their kids. Often a jetty is where children first learn to fish. Apart from Rapid Bay jetty, this government has done very little in this area, and it was only from intense lobbying that got the new Rapid Bay jetty built. The money was originally allocated to other projects and it took some doing to change Pat Conlon's mind.Thus proving my many earlier points that for anglers, the only way to get things done is to make a lot of noise consistently, that's how the green zealots work the system.

Mobil,SAFRAC,State Gov............forget it, a pipe dream.fantasy....as if some corny poll on a fishing website is gunna make any difference....go out, go fishing, get on with life ,put the idea in the pool room and maybe wake up in 10 years time and things may be different..... dealing with the undealable,thats all there is to it.

I have to say no to this as much as i think it would be great to fish there but as others have said it would be hammered and within a few weeks the safety and security the fish have come to know would be gone ,can you imagine how many boats would be hussleting for a spot as well as line anglers if it opened .

That sucks dogs balls. But where are you pulling your 95 percent statistic from bro? All it would take is a close eye from fisheries, or surveillance cameras on the jetty and car park, or a legislation introducing a 'blue boy' licence as per the Thai prison system. I reckon that's a pretty pessimistic view of rec fishing in Sa. I feel pretty passionate about this- we all have an obligation to do the right thing, and I now believe fishos have a new enemy- the guilty bystander. I detest violence in any form, however I will own up to disposing two 'gentleman' from the torrents island bridge after spying a bakers dozen soapies struggling in a non aerated bucket- the largest perhaps nudging 50 cm's. after my reasonable friendly explanation was refuted and the so called anglers became aggressive, the indignance I felt at the actions that will subsequently impact all recreational fishers boiled over. During the scuffle I sustained a vroken nose, but eventually hurled both blokes over the railing. It's not a small drop to water level, and my first instinct was to bail over the bridge myself and drag one gasping assailant to the slime ridden rocks. The other dude appeared on the opposite bank simultaneously - we ended up drowning four pots of draft a piece and swearing to work together in future to assure a sustainable fishery for us and our kids.

I have to say I'm all for the jetty being open to fishing. It should be open, for anyone who can respect it for what it is.Leave it closed to boats indefinitely.The best way to manage the bogan factor would be to run a pay per user system the same as sullies or west beach boat ramps.This sort of "fishing park" idea goes great guns in other areas, and is a great attraction overseas in USA, Britain and many SE Asian cities where it works really well.It sounds like a fair kick in the guts to effectively privatise the access to Aussie coast, but in reality it's the only proven way to ensure a place gets looked after. If it was privatised, the manager could set their own catch and size limits, they could set up trout farm style rates to charge people for the fish that they take home.If the jetty was managed effectively and with a business mindset it could become the premiere land based fishing location in the state. School groups could access the area during the day, providing education and good fishing values to the next generation of knot twisters for a decent profit aswell.I for one would be more than happy to pay each time I visit, I'd pay upto $50 bucks a day for a decently facilitated fishing park. For that sort of money I'd want bins, a kiosk with small tackle and accessories, well maintained WC's and fish cleaning facilities among other items. It could charge as little as $5 per person, but I'm reasonably sure the minimum of facilities would cost more than that to maintain.