Port Stanvac Jetty - Do You Want it Open to Recreational Fishing

Pt Stanvac Jetty - Do you want it open to rec fish  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Pt Stanvac Jetty - Do you want it open to rec fish

• Yes, I would
    • No, I would not

Personally, I prefer sound management before bans and conservation before exclusion as they are seperate things.Hell, I see few reccies fighting against all the other external factors that are making our recreation untenable so lets just create internal anti rec fishing hatred and fall on our sword.People in this state seem to hate seeing other people fishing, period....:vomit: Must be climate change....:laugh:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

G'day All (and not just Rec Fishers like me)As Mobil complete the remediation of the land, a Master Plan for future development of the land and its infrastructure will have to be developed. For such a

just 9 more no's...... :PSeriously, I wouldn't want it open for rec fishing. In a week or two the place would be raped.I reckon the below water structure should be left and open it to diving, that way

Posted Images

Sorry Tackles, but just because someone else likes to go fishing on weekends doesnt automatically make them an alied force to me.As you’ve probs worked out from my postings on these forums, I disagree with the views and prioriites of many of the guys on here. Last week, the area was being decimated by the desal plant, the bad trawler men and the pro fishermean before that, yet this week the recs are hiding under the nearby jetty at night and filling their boats with 20lb fish? I have a low tolerance for bullshit, and straight out dumb shit and I see alot of it on these pages, most of the time I just have a quiet giggle to myself, but sometimes I just cant help myself :laugh::laugh:

Sorry Tackles' date=' but just because someone else likes to go fishing on weekends doesnt automatically make them an alied force to me.As you’ve probs worked out from my postings on these forums, I disagree with the views and prioriites of many of the guys on here. Last week, the area was being decimated by the desal plant, the bad trawler men and the pro fishermean before that, yet this week the recs are hiding under the nearby jetty at night and filling their boats with 20lb fish? I have a low tolerance for bullshit, and straight out dumb shit and I see alot of it on these pages, most of the time I just have a quiet giggle to myself, but sometimes I just cant help myself :laugh::laugh:[/quote']Me too.Anyone with half a brain knows that except for a few demersal species (many which do not readily take baits) the rest would pass through Stanvac jetty with tides, moon phases, water temp, time of day and many other factors just like they do every other jetty in this state.The crap about Stanvac being some 'area of marine gaia' full of fish in amongst the burb wastelands is deluded.Line fishermen also understand that just because fish are there, fish don't always bite either lol :laugh: I think there's a bit of pretend conservation advocacy from some when the real intent is sel'fish'ness...pardon the pun e.g. "if I can't plant my butt there all day and catch all the fish when/if it opens to fishing then ban fishing there forever".

carn mate, at least C&P your whole post from Fish SA:

I laugh at those fisho's who say ban fishing at stanvac jetty because it will get pillaged.With the exception of a few demersal species (many which do not even readily take baits) the rest will just move through with tides' date=' moon phases, water temp and time of day etc...just like any other jetty metro or country.We have limits in place already for limiting catch and shouldn't ban ourselves outright just because governments may fail to regulate resources adequately/fairly.[/quote']Im a big boy, I can take it, I dont mind if you consider my views laughable.Your views are diffrent to mine, at least they are educated and I respect them Water of a hairy ducks back mate. ;) Selfish!! at last, someone else is saying it. :clap::clap: The whole rec scene is selfish!!I want my own reef, I want my own marks, I dont want the pros to fish, I dont want marine parks, if a jetty exists I want to fish it!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
WOW' date=' and all this time I thought it was the Pros raping the oceans..Brett, did he let you count his fish to see if he had at least adhered to bag / size limits?[/quote']Ale, this type of comment is ridiculous.You know as well as I do that boats coming in late at night often get talking about each others catch, this does not mean they are going to let or ask others to inspect their bag limits.
Last week' date=' the area was being decimated by the desal plant, the bad trawler men and the pro fishermean before that, yet [b']this week the recs are [/b]hiding under the nearby jetty at night and filling their boats with 20lb fish? I have a low tolerance for bullshit, and straight out dumb shit and I see alot of it on these pages, most of the time I just have a quiet giggle to myself, but sometimes I just cant help myself ?
This is also ridiculous, because this is not something that ocurred this week. This event happened many many months ago. I was simply pointing out that the jetty does at times hold large numbers of Big Snapper. I'm not whinging in anyway shape or form. Yes the guy who CAUGHT them was breaking the law by fishing inside the restricted area, but I was only pointing this out because in my opinion (formed through talking to this guy and having a fairly good understanding of the species) is that the Snapper are there for long periods during the Snapper season. Please keep giggling, because these are all real issues that need rec angler input. Your giggling and making a mockery of them is not going to help in anyway.My account of the boat fishing the Stanvac jetty is factual and you laughing at peoples accounts of events is pretty sad.@Tacklebags, yes being demersal Snapper would Pass through the area as you say, but as you would know structure is one of the major keys to holding feeding snapper. Around this structure is many different food sources for them including crabs, small reef fish, and other schooling bait fish. This structure has barely been fished for decades. This probably is the closest thing to a working No Take ZONE that already exists in the state. Those of you that dont think the fishing is any better under the Jetty than other local jetties in my opinion are deluded.Tacklebags wrote "I think there's a bit of pretend conservation advocacy from some when the real intent is sel'fish'ness...pardon the pun e.g. "if I can't plant my butt there all day and catch all the fish when/if it opens to fishing then ban fishing there forever". I think all of those that are for leaving it closed would take some offence to that comment. My thoughts are that this area has been a no fishing area for decades, if we were to loose/change that now, surely this could have huge impacts on the southern fishery?I would love another jetty to fish but just dont feel the risk of decimating this area are worth it. Am I correct in interpreting your above comment as meaning if I choose to protect Snapper by not wanting this structure opened to rec anglers, that I am being selfish? I can't see how that can be the case. I dont think there is any pretend conservation happening from my end. I definately support real conservation as Im sure you do too in many ways.

carn mate' date=' at least C&P your whole post from Fish SA:

I laugh at those fisho's who say ban fishing at stanvac jetty because it will get pillaged.With the exception of a few demersal species (many which do not even readily take baits) the rest will just move through with tides, moon phases, water temp and time of day etc...just like any other jetty metro or country.We have limits in place already for limiting catch and shouldn't ban ourselves outright just because governments may fail to regulate resources adequately/fairly.

Im a big boy, I can take it, I dont mind if you consider my views laughable.Your views are diffrent to mine, at least they are educated and I respect them Water of a hairy ducks back mate. ;) Selfish!! at last, someone else is saying it. :clap::clap: The whole rec scene is selfish!!I want my own reef, I want my own marks, I dont want the pros to fish, I dont want marine parks, if a jetty exists I want to fish it!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
My views are the same no matter the forum so of course the wording is similar...not trying to shy from anything there. No cut n paste was required in that instance, just memory.Was never laughing at you Ale specifically, you have your position and that is fine. Selfish is the word for sure and I certainly have been in the past especially when MPA's started up but never like the zealots who want 30% of state and fed waters banned to fishing (all forms too) such is there inability to appreciate diversity of fishing methods/economic and social responsiblity and all associated effects. Then theres the BS advocacy (called science) as well?I am fine with some MPA's and the outcome now is plausible in the main. The initial proposal was a different story. A big learning experience for me in any case.Anyhoo...here's to Stanvac jetty and the internet space these ocean structures take up lol....:P
WOW' date=' and all this time I thought it was the Pros raping the oceans..Brett' date=' did he let you count his fish to see if he had at least adhered to bag / size limits?[/quote'']Ale, this type of comment is ridiculous.You know as well as I do that boats coming in late at night often get talking about each others catch, this does not mean they are going to let or ask others to inspect their bag limits.
Last week' date=' the area was being decimated by the desal plant, the bad trawler men and the pro fishermean before that, yet [b']this week the recs are [/b]hiding under the nearby jetty at night and filling their boats with 20lb fish? I have a low tolerance for bullshit, and straight out dumb shit and I see alot of it on these pages, most of the time I just have a quiet giggle to myself, but sometimes I just cant help myself ?
This is also ridiculous, because this is not something that ocurred this week. This event happened many many months ago. I was simply pointing out that the jetty does at times hold large numbers of Big Snapper. I'm not whinging in anyway shape or form. Yes the guy who CAUGHT them was breaking the law by fishing inside the restricted area, but I was only pointing this out because in my opinion (formed through talking to this guy and having a fairly good understanding of the species) is that the Snapper are there for long periods during the Snapper season. Please keep giggling, because these are all real issues that need rec angler input. Your giggling and making a mockery of them is not going to help in anyway.My account of the boat fishing the Stanvac jetty is factual and you laughing at peoples accounts of events is pretty sad.@Tacklebags, yes being demersal Snapper would Pass through the area as you say, but as you would know structure is one of the major keys to holding feeding snapper. Around this structure is many different food sources for them including crabs, small reef fish, and other schooling bait fish. This structure has barely been fished for decades. This probably is the closest thing to a working No Take ZONE that already exists in the state. Those of you that dont think the fishing is any better under the Jetty than other local jetties in my opinion are deluded.Tacklebags wrote "I think there's a bit of pretend conservation advocacy from some when the real intent is sel'fish'ness...pardon the pun e.g. "if I can't plant my butt there all day and catch all the fish when/if it opens to fishing then ban fishing there forever". I think all of those that are for leaving it closed would take some offence to that comment. My thoughts are that this area has been a no fishing area for decades, if we were to loose/change that now, surely this could have huge impacts on the southern fishery?I would love another jetty to fish but just dont feel the risk of decimating this area are worth it. Am I correct in interpreting your above comment as meaning if I choose to protect Snapper by not wanting this structure opened to rec anglers, that I am being selfish? I can't see how that can be the case. I dont think there is any pretend conservation happening from my end. I definately support real conservation as Im sure you do too in many ways.
Why would they all take offence? Did I single out anyone? Did I not say 'a bit' of pretend advocacy?We all know structure and snapper are friends so why not close all structures down state wide and be done with it based on such advocacy.There are a plethora of other species/social/environmental/safety and economic factors to take into consideration when settling on a position or making a decision on such bans other than snapper.URH you have issues with the gulf spatials on reccies but stanvac jetty is a no snapper catch zone? What's your reason(s)? Fishing proximity to local biomass or something?

Good to see everyone take a bit of a breather :) This is a complex issue, but maybe it's getting a bit side tracked.Could I make a suggestion? Perhaps something like this:-That the Stanvac jetty should be surveyed by independent professionals to establish it's potential value to the environment, the community and the economy without bias toward any particular outcome. The results of that survey must be made publicly available without cost to enable anyone with an interest to put a submission to the Govt based on reliable facts.Is this what the Govt is doing, or will the final decision be a quick fix based on gut feel, anecdotal information, illegal activity, special interest group pressure and the current state of our budget?another 2 cents...Cheers,RJ

Good to see everyone take a bit of a breather :) This is a complex issue' date=' but maybe it's getting a bit side tracked.Could I make a suggestion? Perhaps something like this:-[i']That the Stanvac jetty should be surveyed by independent professionals to establish it's potential value to the environment, the community and the economy without bias toward any particular outcome. The results of that survey must be made publicly available without cost to enable anyone with an interest to put a submission to the Govt based on reliable facts.[/i]Is this what the Govt is doing, or will the final decision be a quick fix based on gut feel, anecdotal information, illegal activity, special interest group pressure and the current state of our budget?another 2 cents...Cheers,RJ

Yep....As I stated.

There are a plethora of other species/social/environmental/safety and economic factors to take into consideration when settling on a position or making a decision on such bans other than snapper.

PS. Has CH done the jump yet?

URH you have issues with the gulf spatials on reccies but stanvac jetty is a no snapper catch zone? What's your reason(s)? Fishing proximity to local biomass or something?

Hey this is a great healthy debate guys, although Im normally fairly to the point, I always try to respect everyones right to their own opinions, and its good to read others thoughts on the issue. :cheer: :cheer: But let me address your above question TB. Yes I am strongly against spatial closures in Upper Gulf St Vincent as the areas that are proposed to be locked up have not been locked up before. Stanvac jetty on the other hand through private ownership by mobile has been locked up wether we like it or not for decades. This has built a working No Take Zone. This zone has been and should continue to be a no take zone in the future. So as anglers we are already used to it being locked up and I believe it should be fairly easy for us to continue on leaving it locked up for the benefit of many species.Yes, I guess this is the case, the proximity of the structure to local Biomass. Put simply this jetty is important to a large number of snapper that move in Gulf St Vincent.Just like the Zanoni and the Hobart. Let me ask if you think that both of these structures are not the wholy grail of Snapper fishing? Is the fishing not exponentially better on both of these sites because they have been locked up?Now I have'nt fished either of these structures myself, but I have heard reliable reports of people that have fished these structures and the size and numbers of schooling Snapper on these two structures is phenomenal to say the least.I dont see Stanvac jetty being much different given the numbers of fish that are on drops close by in summer and given that I have sounded up many big schools near the jetty itself myself.TB you know I will always respect your views. cheers. :cheer:

@ just me....that is a pretty arrogant and simplistic view of land based fishos......... in la la land imo.im land based and i wouldnt fish stanvac, just like i dont fish any metro jetty anymore - why cos they are packed and its a nightmare and i could image the 100 ppl fishing shoulder to shoulder. There are plenty of other good landbased spots out there........ just look at piratepom or des's posts, as well as a few that hunt around WL the port the onk and some nice rocks or beaches.On stanvac being just C & R would imo see stanvac become as a fish cemetary - the boaties would love it - just go there and take a net and you would be scooping up more fish than you could catch with a rod and reel after they get thrown back half mangled and with concussion.

Hi Folks,Once again thankyou for your votes and comments.From these poll results so far:A MAJORITY Want the Jetty Open to Recreational Fishing!65% of you voted YESWell time waits for no man; -fisher or otherwise and we are in some respects playing catch up on this important issue.As part of the next step in our stratergy we have created the Save the Port Stanvac Jetty Facebook Page We now need a show of support so that we can demonstrate the numbers of people who support this and so we can take the next steps.Once again, thankyou for your votes and opinions.Regards,Dave

Another problem that has caused me to give this issue further thought is the fact that the jetty if not agreed to be maintained by the council, will just collapse and over time will dissintegrate.I am no pondering is there more benefit to fish species to have the structure left in tact and allow fishing or let it dissentergrate and for them to have just the remnance of this structure?

@ just me....that is a pretty arrogant and simplistic view of land based fishos......... in la la land imo.im land based and i wouldnt fish stanvac' date=' just like i dont fish any metro jetty anymore - why cos they are packed and its a nightmare and i could image the 100 ppl fishing shoulder to shoulder. There are plenty of other good landbased spots out there........ just look at piratepom or des's posts, as well as a few that hunt around WL the port the onk and some nice rocks or beaches.On stanvac being just C & R would imo see stanvac become as a fish cemetary - the boaties would love it - just go there and take a net and you would be scooping up more fish than you could catch with a rod and reel after they get thrown back half mangled and with concussion.[/quote']You're right, it does sound arrogant, i felt so the following day but could not amend it. It was not my intention it was more in relation to a comment about boat fishos voting no.I did mention PP and his LB fishing etc. I too had enough of battling the jetty crowds and lacked the time for the YP and Coffin Bay trips we would often do hence the boat purchases.Apologies to anyone offended.

This is for urhookedfish, because I'm sick of reading some of the uneducated crap you post on here.For someone so concerned with conservation of one particular species – why are you the president of a club that focuses on the catch and release of said species that is highly susceptible to barotrauma?You realise a lot of these fish die post-release don’t you?Who does more damage – someone that catches and keeps two +60cm Snapper, or someone that catches and releases 4 +60cm Snapper, only to have three die later that day or week?Do you think it’s a coincidence that PIRSA have increased the mentioning of catch and release re Snapper in recent papers and regulations?How many recaptures have you had as a club? Watch this video from the Northern Territory Government - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-1n4YZNaSYThe Jetty acts as a fish attracting advice to an area you like to fish, and at present, unless someone has a boat they don’t have access to these fish - and you want to keep it that way.No one group owns the ocean.Why shouldn’t everyone have access?Very interested in your thoughts re this.Cheers, Shannon

URH....Thanks for being frank about your belief in the science etc...

Stanvac jetty on the other hand through private ownership by mobil has been locked up whether we like it or not for decades. This has built a working No Take Zone.

True of much of our inland and coastal areas but how many really know the hollistic true benefits as opposed to ambit claims of benefit across all species? There are tonnes of snapper on areas open to fishing as well as areas closed, same goes for other species of fish.However, before claiming that landbased fishing from this jetty would not be sustainable, effect local biomass on any meaningful level etc perhaps you should read this....Recent report by Rob Paxevanos...

THE opening of previously closed beach and rock sanctuary zones in the Batemans Marine Park has proved to be popular with anglers.Interestingly the fish were not extra-large sized fish six years bigger than might first be expected.You see, even though these areas have been closed for six years, the fish being targeted move with the seasons and conditions, so they are the same fish targeted in the areas that have been opened for the last six years.www.batemansbaypost.com.au/story/1441821...with-anglers/?cs=230

TB ;)
This is for urhookedfish' date=' because I'm sick of reading some of the uneducated crap you post on here.For someone so concerned with conservation of one particular species – why are you the president of a club that focuses on the catch and release of said species that is highly susceptible to barotrauma?You realise a lot of these fish die post-release don’t you?Who does more damage – someone that catches and keeps two +60cm Snapper, or someone that catches and releases 4 +60cm Snapper, only to have three die later that day or week?Do you think it’s a coincidence that PIRSA have increased the mentioning of catch and release re Snapper in recent papers and regulations?How many recaptures have you had as a club? Watch this video from the Northern Territory Government - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-1n4YZNaSYThe Jetty acts as a fish attracting advice to an area you like to fish, and at present, unless someone has a boat they don’t have access to these fish - and you want to keep it that way.No one group owns the ocean.Why shouldn’t everyone have access?Very interested in your thoughts re this.Cheers, Shannon[/quote']With all due respect Shannon, most SA Red Taggers read up on barotrauma and we know the depths and signs of this killer prior to deciding on releasing or keeping a snapper. Given the small % of members tagging as opposed to the biomass/lack of knowledge on snapper distribution science outside of our gulfs etc...its a 'non sequitur' position at this stage against SA Red Tagger's short history.TB ;)

Hi Shannon, thanks for your enquiry. I have been over this previously but I am happy to go over this again for you.Yes Snapper are susceptable to baratrauma, as are many other species of fish.Our members are all strongly encouraged to learn the signs of baratrauma, and check and monitor each capture the best they can before making a judgement call as to if the Snapper can be tagged and released succesffully and with minimal risk of it dying.Our members are encouraged to look for any sign of the swim bladder coming from the mouth, any signs of an inflated swim bladder in their stomachs and if these are noticed, and the fish is of legal size the fish should be kept and taken.There are a few members that have purchased release bombs to get the snapper back down to the bottom which will also increase the odds dramatically when releasing fish that have come from 25Plus metres of water.The club has now tagged n released 171 snapper with 5 known re-captures which equates to 3% but this percentage is on par with what is expected as its only the clubs second year of tagging and those tagged fish have not been swimming around for a long period of time allowing them to be caught again.The data gained from the tag n released fish is going to help build an important picture of Snapper movements and growth rates within the state.I am not sure if you are familiar with Suntag, but they have tagged over 600,000 fish in QLD and there is alot of data specifically with movement of Barra that would not have been discovered if it were not for ANSA tagging.Unfortunately many of the anglers that these video's have been produced for are innexperienced anglers, that are currently not aware of the possible damage that releasing a fish with baratrauma can do, and you are so right, it is really important to release fish correctly. I know I am always learning techniques to improve my tagging process, like covering the fishes eyes with a wet cloth to calm them down, wetting the brag mat down prior to measuring etc. We also like our members to swim fish until they kick rather than just throwing them or spearing them in over the side. (although this can have its risks with Great white sharks)Regarding the Stanvac Jetty, at this point boats arent allowed to fish within a 500m radius of the Jetty. I am an avid land based angler, so my views of keeping this closed to the public arent purely based on my access to these fish.Hope this helps.Brett

Thanks for the prompt reply Brett and for your input too TB.My point was more at odds with your comments on this thread Brett. It seems that your attitude relates more to the 'not in my backyard' mentality, as evidenced by your comment re being strongly against spatial closures in Upper Gulf St Vincent.It seems that you're fine, and indeed an advocate for protection, but just not at any of the places or marks that you or your club personally fish, or by the methods that you choose to use.It's double standards like these that have led to a lack of unity and the fact that while recreational fishers may number in the +200,000s in SA - the reality is that we are poorly represented. And as a result, we are walked all over by smaller, yet more unified and organised minority groups.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I also wanted to point out that w luckily we live in a democratic society, and if the majority or rec anglers want to open it for fishing, then I am happy to move forward with doing this the best we can. Ie I would fully support it. I'm just throwing out reasons that we might want to look at leaving it closed. As most of you know, earlier I was all for opening it and maybe making it c&r only but soon other members pointed out the impracticality of that idea. LOLI of course if the majority say they want it open, I would fish from it myself.The advantages of a forum are you can discuss the pro's and cons. With this I see many pros and cons.

@ just me.....no offence taken mate just pointing out that land based or boating - rec fishos are rec fishos and there should be some unity and common ground. @ UHF...Our members are all strongly encouraged to learn the signs of baratrauma, and check and monitor each capture the best they can before making a judgement call as to if the Snapper can be tagged and released succesffully and with minimal risk of it dying.There are a few members that have purchased release bombs to get the snapper back down to the bottom which will also increase the odds dramatically when releasing fish that have come from 25Plus metres of waterwent on a charter where after getting the limit of snapper in deep water it was lines up and move on as they believe C&R from that depth is simply a waste.What are your thoughts on this deep water c&R and is it worth it.....!? im thinking that despite good techniqyue and best endevours this wouldnt have much impact and would result in more than a few deaths even if all good measures taken...?

Yeah I tend to agree Fabian, the less fish that are released at great depths the better. I think 25meters is about as deep as you want to be fishing to ensure a high success rate of released fish if the angler has done everything correctly.If the charter was fishing in any deeper than that then they have probably made a good decision to move on and stop fishing.

Hey keep the good ideas about possible managment options coming guys. Very interesting stuff!You know Im sure there is a lot of common ground amoungst fisher folk. Access restrictions, environmental concerns and fishery mannagment issues are close to all our hearts. I think it would be great if we could work together and support each others initiatives.This one is for the landbased fishers, the next issue could be one affecting mostly boaties.. Only together we have the numbers!Also if you have visited and "LIKED" the Facebook page be sure to share it or reccomend it to all of your friends, we have a great response so far but we really need to keep the momentum going!www.facebook.com/savetheportstanvacjettyThanks again,Dave.

Also FYI. Says a bitRishworth, Amanda (MP) 4:45 PM (2 hours ago)to me Dear ShannonThanks for your tweet about the Pt Stanvac jetty. I have had contact with the State Government’s Office for the Southern Suburbs and written to the state minister to express the desire of locals to retain the jetty and have public access to the beach. I will continue to advocate but at this point I have heard nothing further. I will keep advocating and defiantly contact you if there is any development.Thanks for your interestAmanda Rishworth

Thanks for the prompt reply Brett and for your input too TB.My point was more at odds with your comments on this thread Brett. It seems that your attitude relates more to the 'not in my backyard' mentality' date=' as evidenced by your comment re being strongly against spatial closures in Upper Gulf St Vincent.It seems that you're fine, and indeed an advocate for protection, but just not at any of the places or marks that you or your club personally fish, or by the methods that you choose to use.It's double standards like these that have led to a lack of unity and the fact that while recreational fishers may number in the +200,000s in SA - the reality is that we are poorly represented. And as a result, we are walked all over by smaller, yet more unified and organised minority groups.[/quote']I totally agree with your point regarding rec anglers being poorly represented and how we need to be united. I myself have been fighting for unity for a few years now.I can see how you have formed the opinion regarding what looks like double standards, but as Ive said before, Im totally against locking rec anglers out of areas that they have fished for generations, and especially in locations where families often fish when on holidays etc. Hence my objections to locking up above Ardrossan, as I don't think the benefits of locking out recs will outweigh the losses of income from tourism for the towns etc.My thoughts are: Surely its not that hard to go on fishing without Stanvac jetty on our list of structures that we already fish as Land based anglers. As others have said there is plenty of other areas you can fish. Admittedly access to other Jetties is dwindling, and I think that our time and resources may be better spent on securing access to those that we already have. Such as Giles, Kleins and Walleroo.With growing pollution entering the gulf and the introduction of Marine Parks and no take zones, pressure on existing Snapper drops is going to increase, and for that reason I believe the jetty should be left as a no fishing zone. This in essence is a secure feeding zone that they can stop at whilst travelling up and down the gulf to breed.
Thanks for the prompt reply Brett and for your input too TB.My point was more at odds with your comments on this thread Brett. It seems that your attitude relates more to the 'not in my backyard' mentality' date=' as evidenced by your comment re being strongly against spatial closures in Upper Gulf St Vincent.It seems that you're fine' date=' and indeed an advocate for protection, but just not at any of the places or marks that you or your club personally fish, or by the methods that you choose to use.It's double standards like these that have led to a lack of unity and the fact that while recreational fishers may number in the +200,000s in SA - the reality is that we are poorly represented. And as a result, we are walked all over by smaller, yet more unified and organised minority groups.[/quote'']I totally agree with your point regarding rec anglers being poorly represented and how we need to be united. I myself have been fighting for unity for a few years now.I can see how you have formed the opinion regarding what looks like double standards, but as Ive said before, Im totally against locking rec anglers out of areas that they have fished for generations, and especially in locations where families often fish when on holidays etc. Hence my objections to locking up above Ardrossan, as I don't think the benefits of locking out recs will outweigh the losses of income from tourism for the towns etc.My thoughts are: Surely its not that hard to go on fishing without Stanvac jetty on our list of structures that we already fish as Land based anglers. As others have said there is plenty of other areas you can fish. Admittedly access to other Jetties is dwindling, and I think that our time and resources may be better spent on securing access to those that we already have. Such as Giles, Kleins and Walleroo.With growing pollution entering the gulf and the introduction of Marine Parks and no take zones, pressure on existing Snapper drops is going to increase, and for that reason I believe the jetty should be left as a no fishing zone. This in essence is a secure feeding zone that they can stop at whilst travelling up and down the gulf to breed.
I have to agree with URH. Just because it is "there" doe not mean it has to be fished.It's a fish haven.People have gotten on without fishing it.Once it is opened up it would never be the same - Look at PT Noarlunga Jetty, many a fruitless day spent dropping a line there!People are accustomed to not fishing it, better this than an increase in those dreaded Marine Parks.A few diving friends have seen a very rich population near Pt Stanvac Jetty, much more than Pt Noarlunga Jetty.
Thanks for the prompt reply Brett and for your input too TB.My point was more at odds with your comments on this thread Brett. It seems that your attitude relates more to the 'not in my backyard' mentality' date=' as evidenced by your comment re being strongly against spatial closures in Upper Gulf St Vincent.It seems that you're fine' date=' and indeed an advocate for protection, but just not at any of the places or marks that you or your club personally fish, or by the methods that you choose to use.It's double standards like these that have led to a lack of unity and the fact that while recreational fishers may number in the +200,000s in SA - the reality is that we are poorly represented. And as a result, we are walked all over by smaller, yet more unified and organised minority groups.[/quote'']I totally agree with your point regarding rec anglers being poorly represented and how we need to be united. I myself have been fighting for unity for a few years now.I can see how you have formed the opinion regarding what looks like double standards, but as Ive said before, Im totally against locking rec anglers out of areas that they have fished for generations, and especially in locations where families often fish when on holidays etc. Hence my objections to locking up above Ardrossan, as I don't think the benefits of locking out recs will outweigh the losses of income from tourism for the towns etc.My thoughts are: Surely its not that hard to go on fishing without Stanvac jetty on our list of structures that we already fish as Land based anglers. As others have said there is plenty of other areas you can fish. Admittedly access to other Jetties is dwindling, and I think that our time and resources may be better spent on securing access to those that we already have. Such as Giles, Kleins and Walleroo.With growing pollution entering the gulf and the introduction of Marine Parks and no take zones, pressure on existing Snapper drops is going to increase, and for that reason I believe the jetty should be left as a no fishing zone. This in essence is a secure feeding zone that they can stop at whilst travelling up and down the gulf to breed.
I have to agree with URH. Just because it is "there" doe not mean it has to be fished.It's a fish haven.People have gotten on without fishing it.Once it is opened up it would never be the same - Look at PT Noarlunga Jetty, many a fruitless day spent dropping a line there!People are accustomed to not fishing it, better this than an increase in those dreaded Marine Parks.A few diving friends have seen a very rich population near Pt Stanvac Jetty, much more than Pt Noarlunga Jetty.
Many a fruitless day would be spent fishing Pt. Stanvac as well. Just like most other jetties in the state. I have fished some jetties that get fished by stuff all and caught stuff all even though divers say there is plenty of fish under it.Stanvac's location is in a productive area and it will produce great squid fishing and deep water access for the odd pelagic too IMO.The diving fraternity are full of accusations about rec fishing and its affects yet they say stuff all about the Adelaide Coastal Waters Study, Marine Progress Series reports or FRDC science which all show the evidence of severe habitat loss and resultant fisheries productivity decline in our gulfs. Colin Creighton from the FRDC estimates that we could have a potential 3 fold increase in productivity in some inverse estuaries if we eliminated pollution today. That just highlights the impact this mostly invisible killer has had over the last 200 years around OZ.Sorry, but I just don't believe that Stanvac Jetty is some area of marine gaia full of biomass in amongst all the adjacent fished areas that all these fish swim through as well.

Tacklebags, thank you, you are a voice of reason Re Brett's comment that 'This in essence is a secure feeding zone that they can stop at whilst travelling up and down the gulf to breed.'It then bewilders me that you want to protect an en-route feeding ground to aggregation point, but then once Snapper get there (upper Gulf) you are then happy, and indeed advocating, to catch them while they are in the act? Sounds crazy to me.This jetty is not just about Snapper. It is a section of beach, and an already built deep-water platform that the community should have access to.

Tacklebags' date=' thank you, you are a voice of reason Re Brett's comment that 'This in essence is a secure feeding zone that they can stop at whilst travelling up and down the gulf to breed.'It then bewilders me that you want to protect an en-route feeding ground to aggregation point, but then once Snapper get there (upper Gulf) you are then happy, and indeed advocating, to catch them while they are in the act? Sounds crazy to me.This jetty is not just about Snapper. It is a section of beach, and an already built deep-water platform that the community should have access to.[/quote']Snapper dont just breed once they get to upper st vincent gulf, they breed at many points along the way. Starting at the entrance of the gulf. Put simply this is a question of can the population of rec anglers live with leaving it closed or do we want to spend vast amounts of money to open it up and then spend even more on continued maintenance??? Pt Norlunga Jetty and most other jetties fishing records show that fishing is very tough from most urban strucutures. Over time all that opening this jetty up for fishing will do is thin the numbers of anglers that fish on other jetties out, by giving everyone one more platform to choose to fish from, and for what? Initially there will be a huge rush and any good fishing will be quickly changed to just average fishing.We already have our choice of jetties to fish from along the metro coast. There is plenty to to choose from surely?Like most scenarios as rec anglers, we have to weigh up the pro's and cons. For me the advantages of not putting pressure on the existing fish populations far outweighs the cons of depleting and putting more pressure on dwindling numbers of fish in the southern region that has historically been caused by polution, local fishing pressure etc. Snapper in upper Gulf St Vincent have been caught by Rec anglers for as long as I can remember. Why should rec anlgers be the target of PIRSA's lockouts, when missmanagement of the Biomass has been caused by not limiting the commercial sector? Yes our fishing efforts do slightly effect spawning but previous years of record Biomass prove that these areas can be fished if the commercial sectors efforts are managed correctly.Your point about the jetty not only being about Snapper is spot on. There are numerous species that would continue to benefit from having no increased fishing pressure.Squid for example, get hammered by the pros up and down the metro coast and if youve ever stood on Pt Norlunga on a good day and seen the number of squid jags targetting squid, its insane. Think of the number of squid that could feed under the Stanvac Jetty without squid jigs being hurled at them from every known direction? Some would argue that because their life span is short they can cope with such pressure, but for me the numbers of squid particularly around the Osullivans/Stanvac area outside of the stanvac jetty are decreasing. Squid around Marino etc are also starting to thin out.

Initially there will be a huge rush and any good fishing will be quickly changed to just average fishing.

The fishing at stanvac would change with seasons, tides, moon phases and most importantly three things...1)Favourable natural variations that occur across marine bioregions. Ever heard of 'class years' on snapper? This happens for other species as well.2)Anthropogenic improvements in reducing our land use, coastal and offshore detriments.3)Sound fisheries management regimes.I wonder why the goverment produced stuff all research on the areas closed to fishing in SA prior to implementing another 80 odd closed areas for political vote grabbing/general revenue?Did the evidence not support the claims or didn't they do any?

I'd like it opened but only to anglers paying a fee for jetty maintenance and to minimise vandalism on the jetty. On top of that, having restrictions with stricter bag and size limits will be on the list as well. Being able to employ a security guard there full time to police these controls will make it a jetty for many to enjoy for years to come. Basically, we'd want to protect this area because we all know what'd happen the moment it's open to public. Even if it's just to boats after they demolish the jetty! A controlled and sensible fishery like our fishing clubs will be ideal for such a location.