Port Stanvac Jetty - Do You Want it Open to Recreational Fishing

Pt Stanvac Jetty - Do you want it open to rec fish  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Pt Stanvac Jetty - Do you want it open to rec fish

• Yes, I would
    • No, I would not

C'mon Lads.......... let's be a bit more positive.The Jetty had a major overhaul a few years ago.Too much conjecture without the facts - too easy to make a case to do nothing.

How can it have had a major overhaul a few years ago..seriously mate get off the drugs.Yes we are being positive about reality of things in life.
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

G'day All (and not just Rec Fishers like me)As Mobil complete the remediation of the land, a Master Plan for future development of the land and its infrastructure will have to be developed. For such a

just 9 more no's...... :PSeriously, I wouldn't want it open for rec fishing. In a week or two the place would be raped.I reckon the below water structure should be left and open it to diving, that way

Posted Images

A friend of mine fishes off that jetty via invite and always goes home with a good feed' date='i had a few invites and passed on it.Anyway if it's opened up to the public and it will be cleaned up in no time.Plus no fish for me if i get another invite.[/quote']^ From a few pages back and pretty relevant given recent postings on this topic. You have to LOL at the, as it's already been said, sel'fish'ness of some people on here. So :clap::clap: thanks for piping up again vocal minority - we know whyFor everyone else, this was a good find previously by one of the members here of an example from NSW - http://www.batemansbaypost.com.au/story/1441821/newly-opened-beaches-and-rocks-a-hit-with-anglers/?cs=230"THE opening of previously closed beach and rock sanctuary zones in the Batemans Marine Park has proved to be popular with anglers."Interestingly the fish were not extra-large sized fish six years bigger than might first be expected. "You see, even though these areas have been closed for six years, the fish being targeted move with the seasons and conditions, so they are the same fish targeted in the areas that have been opened for the last six years. Also FYI, yesterday ExxonMobil’s Asia Pacific Regional Portfolio Manager, and the Manager of Public and Government Affairs, were in Adelaide. I met with them to talk about the jetty and again asked for more information about:[ul] [li]The lease agreement they have with the Department of Transport - specific responsibilities[/li] [li]The projected cost to demolish the wharf as per these responsibilities[/li] [li]The projected cost to modify the wharf for public use[/li][/ul]I also asked for them to send us some photos of the wharf in its current condition and for an invitation to be extended to us visit the site to photograph and publish on our pages. The site was mothballed in 2003, but electricity to the wharf (and the cathodic protection) was only disabled earlier this year.It's been said before, but this is far from over. Much to the disappointment of some sel'fish' members on here.

C'mon Lads.......... let's be a bit more positive.The Jetty had a major overhaul a few years ago.Too much conjecture without the facts - too easy to make a case to do nothing.

I guess it needs to be taken into context when the last overhaul of the jetty occurred. I don't have the answer to when it exactly happened, but the Port Stanvac plant hasn't been in operation since 2003, so based on this I would suggest the last overhaul didn't occur in the last few years, and was more likely undertaken at least 10 years or more ago.A lot can happen to structural steel and concrete in a marine environment in that time.Furthermore wasn't there a statement from either the Onkaparinga council or Mobil themselves that implied that the jetty would require extensive refurbishment if it was to remain and be used in the future?Not against the jetty staying..... but just commenting on the likely condition.

Shannon, I'm one of the "minority" that voted to not save the jetty. Don't put all of us minority in the same box. I have no access to the jetty and have always abided by the laws around it's exclusion zones. But still want it left as is or disassembled. At this stage we don't have a RFL to raise any funds. l can't c it happening. So I agree with Pauly, if by some miracle the jetty is opened, it will be raped and be like every other one within months. The powers don't have enough resources to police the existing rape scenes, this will just be another area .Best it's left as is, and we enjoy any overflow from this "sanctuary" into the surrounding areas

Shannon' date=' I'm one of the "minority" that voted to not save the jetty. Don't put all of us minority in the same box. I have no access to the jetty and have always abided by the laws around it's exclusion zones. But still want it left as is or disassembled. At this stage we don't have a RFL to raise any funds. l can't c it happening. So I agree with Pauly, if by some miracle the jetty is opened, it will be raped and be like every other one within months. The powers don't have enough resources to police the existing rape scenes, this will just be another area .Best it's left as is, and we enjoy any overflow from this "sanctuary" into the surrounding areas[/quote']It still gets fished now ale, by those who care little for laws. Also, given the location of the jetty to detrimental factors outside of fishing, recent EPA reports, the marine progress series reports etc....I doubt spillover would be transpiring for recreationally targeted demersal species on any significant level. TB ;)

Just regarding the sanctuary status some seek on this jetty area. We will have 80 plus more sanctuaries around the state in 2014 (depending on election result) so I don't see why this opportunity for access will undermine the sustainability or claimed overflow of benefits to the region when you factor in these other closed areas.TB ;)

I am interested in Shannon's questions to ExxonMobil's executives this week, which were relevant questions to the issue, but it seemed like a dead-end with no response !Secondly, if the power supply as reported, has been cut off from the jetty, then so has the cathodic protection to all metal parts. I have seen what happens when the cathodic unit is shut down on jetty and wharf structures, the old Rapid Bay jetty is a prime example.Reluctantly, and without a survey, I would have to say that the point of no return has already been reached, in other words " no hope ", better to put one's energies in more productive areas.

No one is saying that you aren’t allowed to have a different view, especially when put respectfully which unfortunately seems beyond some..All that is being asked is that certain individuals with vested interests get with the times and realise that fishing in South Australia is moving forward. We are heading towards co-management of the recreational fishery, we will have an RFL in the coming years and we wont rest until things get better; until there are more opportunities for all anglers, until there is more money for compliance, better facilities for boat owners, better funding for rec fishing advocacy to hold the government to account and ensure funds are held in trust. None of this is revolutionary in the national context it already happens in other states!Not having started before, is not a good enough excuse to not start now! Forget about the individual; it’s about working on projects to benefit many people. Some might say lock up this area because I like the spill over, but it has to be for the right reasons, if the future of the area is in doubt; if the habitat will be removed - then what is there to protect? (The jetty will be gone and it will just be another stretch of coastline)There are more land based fishers than boaties so should we ban all boat fishing so that the spill over to land based areas improves? Of course not! We should work together to improve the opportunities for all recreational fishers! ......................................................................................................Most of the discussions around required work relate to bringing an industrial platform up to safety standards of a public use jetty. True - a report on the structure is required and the State Government have commissioned a report which they have not released yet.There is a lot of unfounded conjecture on here which quite frankly would make me laugh if it wasn't so hurtful to all those hopeful anglers who might think people know something new (when they actually don't).You would be hard pressed to find two more pragmatic guys than Shannon or myself. We have spent countless hours doing the research; writing to politicians, speaking with them in person, writing to and meeting with Exxon Mobil. We have researched the history and investigated possibilities for the future in terms of access, funding and like projects around this great country.We are well aware that there are many hurdles but we are determined to overcome them if at all possible; each player (corporate & government) holds their cards close so as to not make a mistake but YOU DON’T KNOW UNTIL YOU TRY!- For example everyone talks about the money required and the future funding, but to date the Government (and the opposition) have not actually asked Exxon Mobil for the money! (the difference of demolition) Here is Exxon Mobil’s Sam Potts on 26/7/13 ABC interview exchange with David Bevan:Bevan: Now to pull it down is going to probably to cost you a few million as well, so..Potts: AbsolutelyBevan: Yeah, so if you spend a few million pulling it down, or you could spend a few million getting it up to the standard where you could hand it over to the public Potts: YepBevan: Is it as simple as that?Potts: Well, it's potentially, you know, no one has actually asked us to offer money to the council or the state government to maintain the wharf, but we've always been open to discussions about the options..Listen to the interview here:http://blogs.abc.net.au/files/matt-and-dave-reloaded---early-edition-433.mp3I’ll be the first to admit it’s not all positive, but also no one says anything that I wouldn’t say if I was the one representing their position and that is the key thing.We acknowledge the difficulties, its not all plain sailing and if at some point it becomes impossible then we can walk away knowing we gave EVERYTHING to have a great outcome for Adelaide's recreational fishers and the broader community.I urge you all before you waste more time on unfounded conjecture visit our sites and see what the public already knows.. You can see all the work and all the details at http://www.savetheportstanvacjetty.com/news.html or onwww.facebook.com/savetheportstanvacjetty If everybody just gave up in the face of difficulty nothing great would ever happen.. Aim High.

It's OK to aim high, but when resources are thin and with limited energies future prospects are best directed to those opportunities which have a good chance of success in the short term otherwise anglers could loose out on both ! I don't see the jetty as a "good chance", unfortunately. It's called priorities.The jetty should be allowed to run its own race and concentrate energies on the snapper, garfish and MP issues which will have a far greater impact on anglers. In my view changing the culture in PIRSA will have far more benefits for anglers than a jetty no one clearly wants to maintain.

I have seen what happens when the cathodic unit is shut down on jetty and wharf structures' date=' the old Rapid Bay jetty is a prime example.[/quote']My understanding of Rapid Bay is that wave energy close to shore vs wood was the issue. Regardless, I'm not going to sit back and reside over another Rapid Bay-esque debacle while there is still a chance to do something Trevor."It's a destination. It has access to beautiful, pristine deep water to cater for mum, dad and the kids"Sound familiar? It should. That's you in The Advertiser on 14 January 2006 re Rapid Bay.I'm disappointed when I read your fishing forum posts knowing that you used to say things like the above publicly. What changed?

Who's to say the spill off won't benefit land based anglers ? It's not structure in the middle of the gulf it's running off the beach. I'd rather leave the jetty there or even place blocks or some sort of artificial reef and leave it a no go zone to protect the area.David it's fairly clear your not happy with me cause I don't agree with you.. You've put it out there that I'm rude and not thinking of every1s best interest which is a load.In my opinion your to interested in getting it for the rec's and family's and not thinking about the sea life and how it's going to affect the fish numbers there.. It's another case of humans being selfish.If they do destroy the jetty and open the area up it will be just as bad opening the jetty to the public.

Who's to say the spill off won't benefit land based anglers ? It's not structure in the middle of the gulf it's running off the beach. I'd rather leave the jetty there or even place blocks or some sort of artificial reef and leave it a no go zone to protect the area.David it's fairly clear your not happy with me cause I don't agree with you.. You've put it out there that I'm rude and not thinking of every1s best interest which is a load.In my opinion your to interested in getting it for the rec's and family's and not thinking about the sea life and how it's going to affect the fish numbers there.. It's another case of humans being selfish.If they do destroy the jetty and open the area up it will be just as bad opening the jetty to the public.

Pauly s, the far majority of species targeted by reccies will just pass through the area with tides, moon phases, water temperature etc like they do every other jetty. Add in the runoff, desalination plant, fish kills etc that has already affected this area and it is dubious to claim it's some environmental principality.In fact it will spread fishing pressure by lowering effort to other metro jetties in my opinion.

What changed Shannon ? Well SARFAC did....... For the worse ! For me, probably a lot wiser. With regard to Rapid Bay jetty, I was confident that over time we could win the restoration / new build debate and we did. To be successful one has to develop strategies that are not pipe dreams (achievable), otherwise you run around like Chicken Little moaning that the sky is falling in !Let the the jetty go, it will look after itself if it is to be a goer. Concentrate on issues that are more important tangible and achievable.

What changed Shannon ? Well SARFAC did....... For the worse ! For me' date=' probably a lot wiser. With regard to Rapid Bay jetty, I was confident that over time we could win the restoration / new build debate and we did. To be successful one has to develop strategies that are not pipe dreams (achievable), otherwise you run around like Chicken Little moaning that the sky is falling in !Let the the jetty go, it will look after itself if it is to be a goer. Concentrate on issues that are more important tangible and achievable.[/quote']Time will tell wisdom?There is already attention being given to the other matters you speak of and I think it is great that enough motivated reccies are now around to enable us to branch into such issues as this without compromising on fisheries policy matters.

If you have that much support Tackles, then therein may lie the danger. Every one running around up blind ally's and achieving nothing, except spinning the wheels.Wouldn't it be smarter with all that support you talk about, to channel all that energy into just one important issue for anglers and when that is achieved move on into another. Trouble is, with respect, I don't believe you. Anglers are still a disorganised force taking whatever is dished up ! It's a good military strategy to take the high ground and its rewarding what one can see from up here. Besides that one doesn't get covered with all the crap falling around you!

Hi Pauly,I was referring to @ausea telling @Janz to "get off the drugs", which is just plain disrespectful.I understand your position re retaining the jetty as is, its a valid one.I note that you understand that it won't stay as is, because Mobil are obligated to remove it.Where we differ in opinion is that I don't believe losing the jetty would be equally as bad as opening it..If it is opened I see a whole range of benefits.Cheers,Dave

@Wisdom I look forward to you eating your hat on a number of issues in the not too distant future

Bet you he won't.If there are positive changes and news on the near horizon, please start a new thread and share with the membership. Getting a little tired of the tidbits and throw away lines from certain folks. Surely this isn't the D-Day landings on the shores of Normandy or some other military operation.

What we have here is different opinions on the jetty and it has been covered fairy well so far.But some are putting up ridiculous replies and reality is being stretched.

Unfortunately emotions are now starting to get in the way ausea.As always, members are getting sick of reading heated dribble so please keep it on track people.You put a lot of effort into writing your posts, it doesn't take much to delete :whistle: