Port Stanvac Jetty - Do You Want it Open to Recreational Fishing

Pt Stanvac Jetty - Do you want it open to rec fish  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Pt Stanvac Jetty - Do you want it open to rec fish

• Yes, I would
    • No, I would not

I'm not familiar with LB fishing down south, and the outcome won't make much difference to me either way, but that won't prevent me from getting involved in an issue that relates to rec fishing in SA.One of the big problems with rec fishing representation in SA is finding out what the 'locals' think about any issue, and what they would want to be done about it. In this case I think it's up to the 'locals' (southerners) to put their thoughts forward so that their local knowledge can be taken into account along with the views of the wider rec fishing community. This forum and this poll is one good way of getting a feel for both local and overall opinion about what should happen to the Stanvac jetty. Good work YackAttack. :clap: I'd urge everyone to get some fire in your belly and get stuck in (as some are already doing). Doesn't matter what your thoughts are - please just make sure that you express them, because that's how consensus is finally achieved.Once there a commonly held view, action can be taken. Without a common view, we are a rabble.I believe that it's way past time for all of us to get more involved and make some noise on a wide range of rec fishing issues. The Stanvac jetty is very definitely one of those issues, and this forum is an excellent way of gathering opinions. A win here would do wonders for the downtrodden rec fishers of SA; who have been down so long that they seem to have forgotten what up looks like.another 2 cents...Cheers,RJ

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

G'day All (and not just Rec Fishers like me)As Mobil complete the remediation of the land, a Master Plan for future development of the land and its infrastructure will have to be developed. For such a

just 9 more no's...... :PSeriously, I wouldn't want it open for rec fishing. In a week or two the place would be raped.I reckon the below water structure should be left and open it to diving, that way

Posted Images

Being so close to the desal plant and it's outlet I would have assumed the Port Stanvac jetty and the surrounding areas would be pretty poor for fishing. Not sure why anyone would want to fish there.... :dry: Disregarding that issue, it's a NO from me. Taking my fishermans hat off, as a state we simply don't have millions of dollars to remediate a dilapidated jetty, then thousands of dollars to maintain the thing anually. There are far too many needed public infrastructure projects being shelved already because a lack of funding. Another jetty to fish from would be a nice thing to have for a minority group to use, but the reality is we simply can't afford it.

Keep in mind that Mobil are required to restore the site, jetty dismantling and removal would have to be in the seven figure sum area. I have read figures of between 7 and 10 mil being mentioned.In lieu of going through the dismantling process, the money is paid to the gummint, thus "seeding" costs spoken for?Bricks suggested a "user pays" scenario, for argument`s sake call it a few bucks per head. Just one possible initial outcome - toilets (and possibly a kiosk ultimately) halfway along, jetty (initially at least) open daylight hours only (night-time bogan vandal factor spoken for), if there is an "in only" gate the "out only" gate has a fisheries officer in attendance during hours of opening inspecting all outbound containers (fish pillager factor spoken for).Self funding on a user-pays cost-recovery basis.Many ways to skin a cat.Talking years rather than months, I believe that area ultimately is slated for a complete "clean sweep" redevelopment, thus the jetty could certainly be a drawcard bonus.

Another jetty to fish from would be a nice thing to have for a minority group to use, but the reality is we simply can't afford it.

Apart from the self-funding financials mentioned above, "We" don`t seem to have problems finding mega millions for a footbridge to save a slightly bigger "minority" a 300-400 metre walk...and if anyone replies that is part of the overall city redevelopment package looking to the future (Convention Centre, Oval, etc) then exactly the same principle is applicable to the Stanvac area.Different scale, same concept.I reiterate - not a high personal priority for me, but at the very least all options should be considered while they are available as possible options.General recreational/tourist facility, potential scuba platform - jetty recfishing a bonus of course!

I find it somewhat amusing that people say it should not be opened due to the "marine park" factor because of the current restrictions in place. Yet i don't see similar support for proposed marine parks? Also, to say that the area would be raped and pillaged would be to say that current regulations and restrictions are not adequate in sa and any fishing spot could be raped and pillaged? If there was some proper research into it, and if it was deemed a fish " hub" so to speak, specific regulations were placed accordingly, I.e NTZ at a point of the jetty, i don't see why it would be such a crime to open it? Especially if either way mobil are going to be spending the money, better it is not going to sims. Voted yes

Keep in mind that Mobil are required to restore the site, jetty dismantling and removal would have to be in the seven figure sum area. I have read figures of between 7 and 10 mil being mentioned. In lieu of going through the dismantling process, the money is paid to the gummint, thus "seeding" costs spoken for?

Those figues need mean nothing unless put into perspective. It may cost $7-10 million to dismantle, but if it costs $15-20 million to rehabilitate and restore, dismantling becomes the more cost effective solution.

Apart from the self-funding financials mentioned above, "We" don`t seem to have problems finding mega millions for a footbridge to save a slightly bigger "minority" a 300-400 metre walk...and if anyone replies that is part of the overall city redevelopment package looking to the future (Convention Centre, Oval, etc) then exactly the same principle is applicable to the Stanvac area. Different scale, same concept.

One dumb idea doesn't condone another, and contrary to what you have written plenty have questioned the logic of said footbridge. The view of many on here will be clearly biased because we are fisherman, and can see a direct benefit by having another jetty. But ask the rest of the population, who couldn't give a toss about fisherman/fishing issues, whether a few million dollars of tax payer dollars should be spent on:1) rehabilitating the Pt Stancvac jetty, or2) Additional funding for schools, health services, improving roads, or dare I say it, propping up unsustainable manufacturing industries so thousands of people don't find themselves in unemployment in the next 5 years....guess which option gets picked.And the concept that the jetty could be self funded is a great idea. But with the lack of funding available I'd suggest it would need to demonstrate a really good return on investment for it to be considered.Sorry for seeming negative, but this is reality IMO :(

Once again thanks to all who have voted and also to those who have commented!It is very interesting to hear what SA fishers think about this issue..One thing I would say is please dont sell yourselves short, Recreational anglers make up a HUGE sector of the community. We also contribute in a big way to the local economy, (think) tax revenue. Together this means that if there is a 'Majority' or 'Popular' view/demmand held by anglers then it IS POLITICALLY SIGNIFICANT and we do contribute to the economy sufficiantly to argue for our demmands to be met.. This idea is not about redirecting all government resources to angling, its far more realistic and is about claiming the recognition we deserve based upon our demographic and ecomonic significance.Im not here to discuss or lament the failings of South Australian anglers to organise in the past.. its just to sad, and we could fill pages.But there are people who help the causes of recreational fisheres and this can only be improved upon. What I am here to do is to try gauge a sense of the future we want as a group...Then we'll see where we go. . this is the first step, this poll WILL accomplish something - it will help shape the next step, its not something I'll be Hotlinking to Pollies offices, we must conduct ourselves in a smarter, more coherent and professional manner than that!I also MAKE NO APOLOGY - this is not the only forum we are asking this question to and forums will not be the only place we ask for peoples opinion. But I ask STRIKE & HOOK because its is a brilliant comminuty of South Australian fisher folk who deserve to be heard.Please keep your votes and opinions comming,Im off for a fish!regards,Dave

Regardless of how nice it would be to be one of the first to fish it, the good fishing would last about one season Maximum. It's a NO for me. It is an important feeding ground for big breeding snapper as the enter and leave the gulf. Best left untouched. Just look at Pt Noarlunga jetty on a busy day, you can't move or find a gap to fish in!I used to be supportive of opening it up but have since realized that this would be a bad idea. I think there are a lot of anglers who don't realize just how important this location is for southern fish species

I note with extreme interest the amount of anglers, who for reasons totally unknown to them and also to me, have assumed an almost mythical status for this Mobil Jetty as a massive fish hang out and an iconic feeding spot for native fish including Snapper! This seems to be almost entirely founded on the basis that no-one has had access to whatever fish are in there, so, there must be masses of them as in the "grass is always greener on the other side" Think of the States Reservoirs which have been a mouth wateringly enticing carrot of masses of hungry big fish of all species just waiting to jump on any anglers hook, audacious enough to either trespass, or in my case, "DARE TO DREAM" we might all have legal access as our Interstate cousins have enjoyed for more that two decades due to a forward thinking Government!How have these mythical tales of 100 lb Kingfish and line smashing 35 lb Snapper, among super-sized KGW and so forth come about? The reality is we have a rock wall harbour (Sully's Harbour) a few hundred metres south of Mobil's Jetty of supposedly fishing nirvana, which in actual fact, boasts a sprinkling of tommies, Gar, Mullet, a few bream and I've even heard of a rare pinky snapper or two when conditions are perfect. I personally refuse to believe, until some "expert" who has done the work on surveying the fish populations tells us otherwise, that the fish here are indeed of gigantic proportions and that we should make a Sanctuary of the Jetty.Should this be the case and we do have a go ahead for a Sanctuary, and make no mistake if funding is provided, the Government will be committed to an EIS (Environmental Impact Statement), the problem will then be to lift people out of their apathy and get them to fight for what they want instead of, as one poster wrote, "Let it all slide under the sea"

Rotare' date=' excuse me but I don't think you have a good graft of fishing tourism, Pat Conlon had the same view until he was convinced other wise !Jetties are a major part of tourism both in cities and in the regions ( Ardrossan but one example ).[/quote']Wisdom, I may not be good with tourism, but I'm not bad with facts, figures and numbers. Without using heresay are you able to tell me how much tourism revenue is generated from a single metropolitan jetty....?Like Pat Conlon, I'm happy to be convinced, but show me the facts and figures first because your argument so far has been anything but convincing!

Thanks Rotare, Yes I do know the facts, but unfortunately I live toooooo far away to access them.But if you ask someone at SARFAC they are all there in the files ( if they knew where to look ?), believe me and very convincing too. SARFAC worked on this data extensively during the big KGw debate several years back.I wouldn't and don't say anything controversial without first having the supporting facts. I just don't have them with me. But the previous Chair of SARFAC did a lot of work on this, you should contact him. Also the Tourism Dept; also has this data.Trust me.

Thanks Rotare' date=' Yes I do know the facts, but unfortunately I live toooooo far away to access them.But if you ask someone at SARFAC they are all there in the files ( if they knew where to look ?), believe me and very convincing too. SARFAC worked on this data extensively during the big KGw debate several years back.I wouldn't and don't say anything controversial without first having the supporting facts. I just don't have them with me. But the previous Chair of SARFAC did a lot of work on this, you should contact him. Also the Tourism Dept; also has this data.Trust me.[/quote']Sorry, but all I can make from your response is that you don't actually know the specific answer to my question, because if you did you would simply tell me - right? And I was more interested to see if you had the answer to my question to qualify your previous comments, rather than actually finding the answer out for myself....
I personally refuse to believe' date=' until some "expert" who has done the work on surveying the fish populations tells us otherwise, that the fish here are indeed of gigantic proportions and that we should make a Sanctuary of the Jetty.Should this be the case and we do have a go ahead for a Sanctuary, and make no mistake if funding is provided, the Government will be committed to an EIS (Environmental Impact Statement), the problem will then be to lift people out of their apathy and get them to fight for what they want instead of, as one poster wrote, "Let it all slide under the sea"[/quote']I think you've hit the nail Tony, and IMO at this stage the problem is that action needs to taken to retain the jetty until this kind of research can be undertaken, the facts established and a future for the jetty decided between all stakeholders based on those facts. If the jetty is pulled down there'll be no research, and we'll never know what might have been or what the best outcome for everyone (and the environment) should have been.Perhaps the best result will be achieved if everyone involved is able to arrive at the best decision based on facts, and we need to keep the horse in front of the cart so that these facts have a chance of being established?Cheers,RJ

You are right Rotare I don't have those numbers in my head, sorry but not that good, but I have told you where to look if you were interested enough to take the time !Anglers will never make any headway in SA whilst they remain divided, its strange but it's not like that in other states. Perhaps that's why they are so far advanced over SA. Fancy being so divided over such a thing as a fishing jetty........ beggars belief !And you will have a reprieve for a while as I am off to the US and Canada early tomorrow for a few months to get some tourism figures for you !

The other states are just as diverse in opinion as we are wiso.The deciding factor is that what occurs in other states, and particularly Victoria is money actually exists to fund the ides and projects due to a user pays system.While SA rec fishos continue to avert a paid licence of some kind we will get nowhere because no money exists.

These thieving' date=' conniving, corrupt scum still have the boat levy funds just sitting unspent.Greek Orthodox church needs sound proofing, here's 5 mill.[/quote']Gotta have them - or some other version of the same.Don't have to like them.Just have to learn the best way to use them.Others do, so must we.Cheers,RJ

Just wondering how long has it been since any maintenance was done on said jetty ?i know that there was regular maintenace done on it when the refinery was running but was it kept up ? who knows what condition this so called money spinner is in and what it would take to get it safe enough to open to the public ,we have a federal government who has just realized there is a massive deficit ,our state government spends money on things like bridges to knowwhere ,we have a desalination plant that has only just been built that is being mothballed just after opening,finnaly we are getting a proper southern highway instead of the 2o'clock turn around road ,imagine if the elizabeth highway was like that :laugh: and now we should propose the state to fix up another white elephant how do we know this thing isnt about to fall into the sea ?Just out of curiosity have they started to clean up the sight yet or will the taxpayer have to foot that as well ? I mean you have jetties at brighton ,glenelg ,pt noarlunga,grange henly beach and more how many do you want,i mean its not like were unloading cargo on them anymore, i say give it to the army engineers to blow up with demo charges ,you could get rightway rushworth to get her photo taken pushing the button to blow it up ,this is value for money the engineers get traning ,old rushie gets some publicity and we get some new artificial reefs magic idea i rekon .

These thieving' date=' conniving' date=' corrupt scum still have the boat levy funds just sitting unspent.Greek Orthodox church needs sound proofing, here's 5 mill.[/quote'']Gotta have them - or some other version of the same.Don't have to like them.Just have to learn the best way to use them.Others do, so must we.Cheers,RJ
WTF does that mean RJ? Gotta have 'em? Yes i know, but they don't have to be corrupt or inept do they?What's the best way to use them? Please share me your knowledge.
Just wondering how long has it been since any maintenance was done on said jetty ?i know that there was regular maintenace done on it when the refinery was running but was it kept up ? who knows what condition this so called money spinner is in and what it would take to get it safe enough to open to the public ' date='we have a federal government who has just realized there is a massive deficit ,our state government spends money on things like bridges to knowwhere ,we have a desalination plant that has only just been built that is being mothballed just after opening,finnaly we are getting a proper southern highway instead of the 2o'clock turn around road ,imagine if the elizabeth highway was like that :laugh: and now we should propose the state to fix up another white elephant how do we know this thing isnt about to fall into the sea ?Just out of curiosity have they started to clean up the sight yet or will the taxpayer have to foot that as well ? I mean you have jetties at brighton ,glenelg ,pt noarlunga,grange henly beach and more how many do you want,i mean its not like were unloading cargo on them anymore, i say give it to the army engineers to blow up with demo charges ,you could get rightway rushworth to get her photo taken pushing the button to blow it up ,this is value for money the engineers get traning ,old rushie gets some publicity and we get some new artificial reefs magic idea i rekon .[/quote']:laugh:
These thieving' date=' conniving' date=' corrupt scum still have the boat levy funds just sitting unspent.Greek Orthodox church needs sound proofing, here's 5 mill.[/quote'']Gotta have them - or some other version of the same.Don't have to like them.Just have to learn the best way to use them.Others do, so must we.Cheers,RJ
WTF does that mean RJ? Gotta have 'em? Yes i know, but they don't have to be corrupt or inept do they?What's the best way to use them? Please share me your knowledge.
Means I've had one too many glasses of plonk tonight.No harm meant, I'll get back to you later :) Cheers,RJ
Rotare

One dumb idea doesn't condone another, and contrary to what you have written plenty have questioned the logic of said footbridge.

Just to clarify, I too have questioned the logic of the footbridge from the outset. I think you may have missed my sarcasm when I said"to save a slightly bigger "minority" a 300-400 metre walk" ;) And my approach is that the Stanvac jetty retention may or may not be a dumb idea but let`s have a closer look at the pros and cons while the option to do so is there - you however appear to have categorically formed the opinion that it is unquestionably a dumb idea???

It may cost $7-10 million to dismantle, but if it costs $15-20 million to rehabilitate and restore, dismantling becomes the more cost effective solution.

Once again, let`s get all the information on the table before making a decision?`Tis all I`m saying...an informed outcome beats an ideologically-driven one.

yea well, i rekon greedy boat fishos want the whole sea all to themselves.Months ago they were spewin about the marine parks ntz, now they dont want a jetty open for the public to fish off.Look at all the areas around the port that are now imposable to get to these days. Giles is hardly ever open , wallaroo to is mostly closed too . Maybe they should ban fishing off boats! :woohoo:

yea well' date=' i rekon greedy boat fishos want the whole sea all to themselves.Months ago they were spewin about the marine parks ntz, now they dont want a jetty open for the public to fish off.Look at all the areas around the port that are now imposable to get to these days. Giles is hardly ever open , wallaroo to is mostly closed too . Maybe they should ban fishing off boats! :woohoo:[/quote'] :laugh::laugh::laugh: Do what i did...Make a few sacrifices, pick up a few extra hours at work, actually take all the overtime you can get and get yourself off the jetty and into a boat. Look at paulyS and other guys in Tinnies, no need for a 7mt boat to get a feed. Conversely look at Pirate Pom who smashes the Gar and other species off his rock.It's not like "us boaties" can fish around that jetty now is it?

you however appear to have categorically formed the opinion that it is unquestionably a dumb idea???

Now you're missing my sarcasm Kon ;)

Once again, let`s get all the information on the table before making a decision? `Tis all I`m saying...an informed outcome beats an ideologically-driven one.

Totally agree, and so you can clearly understand my position / opinion on this issue, I'd be more than happy to see the jetty stay. However, as a tax payer I don't want to be paying for it cause I reckon there's more important areas that need focus and funding before another jetty.
I note with extreme interest the amount of anglers' date=' who for reasons totally unknown to them and also to me, have assumed an almost mythical status for this Mobil Jetty as a massive fish hang out and an iconic feeding spot for native fish including Snapper! This seems to be almost entirely founded on the basis that no-one has had access to whatever fish are in there, so, there must be masses of them as in the "grass is always greener on the other side" Think of the States Reservoirs which have been a mouth wateringly enticing carrot of masses of hungry big fish of all species just waiting to jump on any anglers hook, audacious enough to either trespass, or in my case, "DARE TO DREAM" we might all have legal access as our Interstate cousins have enjoyed for more that two decades due to a forward thinking Government!How have these mythical tales of 100 lb Kingfish and line smashing 35 lb Snapper, among super-sized KGW and so forth come about? The reality is we have a rock wall harbour (Sully's Harbour) a few hundred metres south of Mobil's Jetty of supposedly fishing nirvana, which in actual fact, boasts a sprinkling of tommies, Gar, Mullet, a few bream and I've even heard of a rare pinky snapper or two when conditions are perfect. I personally refuse to believe, until some "expert" who has done the work on surveying the fish populations tells us otherwise, that the fish here are indeed of gigantic proportions and that we should make a Sanctuary of the Jetty.Should this be the case and we do have a go ahead for a Sanctuary, and make no mistake if funding is provided, the Government will be committed to an EIS (Environmental Impact Statement), the problem will then be to lift people out of their apathy and get them to fight for what they want instead of, as one poster wrote, "Let it all slide under the sea"[/quote']TonyB, for the last few seasons there has been a large 23foot boat that anchors near to the jetty in Snapper season (Just how he gets away with it we do not know), but when I spoke to him on return to the ramp, he had an esky full of 20plus pound snapper and said he regularly gets 25lbers by berleying at the jetty.So there is ALOT of big Snapper that feed at night under that jetty.No need for a survey to be done IMO.

:vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: stop crap polls being put in here ....

I wouldn't get too worried about the whole issue weather it's going to be converted to a public jetty or not.EPA would have to do a report on the jetty & adjacent land for suitable redevelopment.Mobile would have a fair idea what's it's going to cost and prefer this stagnation between Council & Government to go on.So at the moment, you could call it a marine park as it stands. B)

Options are being looked at by all parties it seems, note the third parahttp://www.exxonmobil.com.au/Australia-English/PA/about_what_rs_adelaiderefinery_demolition.aspxBut this will likely be a very long process!https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Stanvac,_South_Australiauhf - the jetty snapper account you gave is exactly why I suspect, if the jetty is to be retained and recfishing permitted, a "Noarlunga jetty" approach would be an absolute requirement.