Hey all I wanted to start chasing Redfin on fly's' date=' can any point me in the right direction? I'm fairly new to fly fishing and just need some tip's to get me going. Cheers all[/quote']Pretty much any wet fly especially if it has some movement at rest, ie marabou or legs or hackle etc.I have caught them on wooly buggers, crazy Charlie's, gotchas, small clouser styles, mrs Simpsons....I vary retrieves, from fast continuous strips, double strip and pause, short sharp strips or very slow figure 8 style retrieve.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
  • 10 months later...

I once hit a shoal of smallish redfin about 6" long and caught three triple hook-ups one after the other on a team of three size 12 gold bead headed pheasant tailed nymphs, whoo hoo, never repeated that again but that fly is a firm favourite tho' as said the smaller redfin have a strong diet of aquatic larvae in the early stages of their growth and will tackle most anything ;) I have seen some corker redfin landed on 4" or 5" fluro orange marabou streamer flies fished in tandem which shows that redfin are not fussy critturs at all :sun: