wondering if anyone has done the same:finished up a fun trip to salt creek (caught some salmon, gummies and plenty of soapies) and as per usual you come home fairly exhausted and have to clean up and pack up. Without thinking i grabbed the left over bait, which was still good, and chucked it into a few plastic bags and into the freezer.Now im heading to yorkes for a fish and have just realized I put the bait into those scented rubbish bags! :S Is this going to leave a stench on the bait? Are the fish going to be put off the bait?

dunno jackblackfishing years ago with another fridgie,similar rigs same bait,hes pullin the fish and im doin donuts.did a couple of bock seal changes that day using 3GS oil and blamed it on that.mates hands had apparently been in oil half the day too after i brought this revelation up.give it a go i cant see it spooking themthen again if i thought something was pretty dodgy with the bait id be using it for fertiliser

• 2 weeks later...

Best thing I can think of is to do the age old trick. Don't like the smell of something? put a stronger smell in there.Try resting your baits in straight fish oil in the freezer for a day (or longer if time permits) and let the oil really soak into the bait, They will probably still have a slight smell from the scent of the bags but the fish oil should cover over it mostly.Even if you find you can't get the bigger (and wiser) fish to bite on it cutting strips off and soaking it in more oil would work for most bait fish out there in a school. Tommies, mullet, shitties and garfish should all fall too easy prey even if it does have a slightly unusual scent too it underwater. You'll find bringing your baits out (even soaking other baits in that havent been scented) of the fish oil will actually produce a small oil slick at the spot directly where you cast, and if the oil has enough time to penetrate the mouth/stomach when a fish does bite it will have a slight scent release giving the fish more incentive to actually finish up with the bite its taken rather then just mouthing it to see if its okay. I used to soak all my baits in fish oil when I was out snapper fishing on the rocks and found it produced better results then one I hadn't soaked (had a 2 hook rig on for ruggers, 1 tommie scented and 1 unscented roughly 4 in 5 snapper bit on the scented tommie)

yeah I gotta agree with that, fish don't really care about the smell of smoke. I was fishing the other day with my rod right next to the fire (not enough to burn) and the smoke was going all throughout the line/reel. made no difference to the fish. I'm also a smoker and my friend isn't and I regularly tend to outfish him

Yeah' date=' theres only a few smells that are a no-no with me while fishing.insect repellent, deodorant, cologne and aftershave. Anything apart from that is fair game (assuming you showered before the trip of course!!)[/quote']and I have never caught a fish while I have been wearing lipstick, nail polish, hair spray or mascara.although I'm not usually fishing when I wear that stuff ;);)
Yeah' date=' theres only a few smells that are a no-no with me while fishing.insect repellent' date=' deodorant, cologne and aftershave. Anything apart from that is fair game (assuming you showered before the trip of course!!)[/quote'']and I have never caught a fish while I have been wearing lipstick, nail polish, hair spray or mascara.although I'm not usually fishing when I wear that stuff ;);)
:laugh: nail-head, just sayin'
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey lads, heading to salt creek in coupla weeks, just wondering tips for keeping bait from going soft quickly? I've heard of buying fresh pillies and soaking them in table salt and freezing them in newspaper? Any truth to that or any tips would be helpful. Chasing salmon, mullys, shark etc.