Losing more lures than I can afford.

Hey guys, as my last topic indicated, I'm starting to love fishing with lures. Had great feedback from everyone so thought I'd ask another question. I seem to have lost a good 6 lures in the last couple of outings from the bail arm flicking back over. Why is this happening, what am I doing wrong and can it be stopped? I'm using a diawa aird with a 9ft timberwolf waverock. Using both 15 and 20lb braid Thanks for any help

I too have had similar problems and recon it could be to do with slack line wrapping round the bail/bail arm/ spool ect at the cast.I dont mean to be patronising but check out this vid. Yeah i know it's paul worsterling and he can be a bit of a douche but was sadly a bit of a epiphany moment for me!http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvzjEVWMfRc should be plenty of gurus out there who can shed more light on the subject than me .....On another note, i have also lost more lures than id like with the leader knot flipping 90deg and catching at the rod tip. I tie albrights & super glue both tails. still have more problems with my salmon lure casting setup than my 6lb outfit?

Hey guys' date=' as my last topic indicated, I'm starting to love fishing with lures. Had great feedback from everyone so thought I'd ask another question. I seem to have lost a good 6 lures in the last couple of outings from the bail arm flicking back over. Why is this happening, what am I doing wrong and can it be stopped? I'm using a diawa aird with a 9ft timberwolf waverock. Using both 15 and 20lb braid Thanks for any help[/quote']I have found that this occurs when ever i try and over cast a lure to get that extra 10 meters. It can be a costly exercise. Using my 9 foot combo (4 piece travel series tcurve and stradtic 5000) i let out about 5-6 foot of line. 3 foot of which is leader 20-30lb Jinki. enabling the knot to be clear of guides. Use the method that old mate Pauly-W shows above, make sure the bail is folded back and open all the way open, remembering that even the best gear will get a little salt, sand grit in it and may not lock out.most the time i have cast off a lure is when the briad has wrapped around the guide some where along the length of rod, the action from this has flicked the bail over.I doubt I have helped, but you never know.

Try this in your back yard.Fit the reel into the rod and leave the line on the spool.Now do some casts at varying speeds and see if it flicks over on you.Try to work out if you did something for the bail wire to close on you.It’s possible it could be the reel creating the problem,i had the 4000 and it never did it once to me.

I can't add anything more than the other guys have said, but I sympathise with you because I reckon we've all been there at one time or another. There's just something about that sickening "crack" you hear when the line parts way with your lure and you immediately know you've just said goodbye to $10 - $15 :pinch:

I can't add anything more than the other guys have said' date=' but I sympathise with you because I reckon we've all been there at one time or another. There's just something about that sickening "crack" you hear when the line parts way with your lure and you immediately know you've just said goodbye to $10 - $15 :pinch:[/quote']and doesn't it go such a long way...

I've never had a bail arm close on me while casting but I have experienced the dreaded wind knot, when lightweight braid wraps around a guide during the cast, and SNAP!, you'll never cast a lure as far in your life, pity it's not still attached to the rest of your gear! :laugh: Thinking about this I had the idea that because most folks around here cast lefty-style with threadline reels that were designed to be cast righty, you may be slightly bumping the bail arm during your cast or applying enough force in the wrong direction to make the arm trip. Like I said, don't have any experience to draw on personally, just a thought I had.

Haha your both on the money there. Never seen so many $10 notes fly so far. Thanks everyone for your tips, I guess it all comes down to practice and knowledge, which ill learn pretty quick at $10 a cast...I'm glad has any one tried with the bail arm in a certain position? Like opened back to the beach or towards the water?Cheers fellas

I've seen a lot of guys cast and it really concerns me...I always hold the bail arm when I cast... Maybe its just me but it feels comfortable and I always worry about it springing back over - the only time i don't do this is surf casting, but i ain't lobbing $25 lures into the surf!