Fillet Knives!... whats the best? value? etc....

I have a small marttiini knife, this holds an edge really well and is great for Garfish, Tommies, whiting and a like. You can feel every single bone.filletknives.jpgThe larger is an old silstar knife that came with a scaler and cutting board. It was given to me about 15 years ago.. doesnt hold the best edge but it is easy to sharpen.Cheap steel = easy to sharpen, easy to lose the edge.High Qaulity steel = Hard to sharpen, the edge hold longer.The Rapala knives are reported to have come from the same factory as Marttiini. if anyone knows the accuracy of this please confirm or correct this.Happy shopping

I sharpened up one of these butter knives to use and without thinking wiped the blade with my favourite t-shirt... it's still my favourite t-shirt, but now with some very nice ventilation holes... :Dbrenton, do you prefer the very flexible version of these knives or the extremely rigid ones?

Rapala owns Marttinni so some of their knives are the same. The best ones are the ones with Marttinni on the blades.I bought the roll-, 2 knives and steel and leather roll from R&As. good value but the plastic handles are a little slippery, so i prefer the rubber handles.

6" Martiini for around $30. Green rubber handle with sturdy plastic sheath. Holds a Superb edge' date=' & easy to keep sharp with a Furi sharpener set. Most times just needs touched up on a butchers steel. Cheers.[/quote']Love this knife for small snaps and whitting . Recently started wearing a cut proof glove on the hand that holds the fish and that instantly reduced filleting time by almost half, highly recomended both knife and glove.Warning they are not stab proof gloves.
brenton' date=' do you prefer the very flexible version of these knives or the extremely rigid ones?[/quote']The flexible ones for sure,my favorite has seen a lot of fish over the last 20 years,You need to keep the rounded point on the knife when sharpening so you can skim over the ribs without busting into the stomach cavity unintentionally.The Victornox are also a great knife and i own 2 but they lack the finesse i like on the bread and butter(pun intended) species cheers brenton
Been using FDick boning knives. These are butchers knives....bought a stiff boning knive for boning deer carcasses. Loved it so tried the flexible ones which turned out great for filleting. $25-30 online or MBL (Hanson Rd' date=' Athol Pk).[/quote']Nice, those FDick and Swibo's are nice knives for the price.