Goolwa Beach to the Murray Mouth, access and fishing reports?

The track is best during low tide as high tide may get chopped up due to the amount of vehicles.We as a group found it difficult a few weeks ago in getting any legal size fish and the hits are slow as most of them have gone from the beach.Plus the weed can come and go within a few hours and create line drag.We will be back there when the water warms up in spring/summer.

Thanks guys, I realise the Mulloway have all but moved on and I was mainly after some Salmon reports.The main focus for the drive was just to get the 4wd on the beach and see how she handles, play with some tyre pressures etc. Also to show the wife a little beach fishing, and allow her to get use to the feel of waders in a little more controlled environment. We have a trip to Lincoln (as people are probably aware) and i want her to feel comfortable on the beach. I want her to know the waders are for keeping dry and warm, not entering the water as deep as possible. Sorry if I seem a prude but I have rescued someone from Lock’s Well who was getting dragged out with their waders full; a freak wave took their legs out and they smashed to the sand really hard and were heavily concussed and water had filled their waders, essentially being sucked out to sea. The trip before when fishing Almonta someone drowned at Gunyah beach.If i can find some salmon to make the trip worthwhile that would be great.

• 4 weeks later...

You can fish much of that beach up to that big sand hill 1k B4,but if there is a high tide then you'll be driving along a narrow stretch of soft track too and from the ramp and can get stuck.If at any stage things aren't looking to good drive the vehicle hard up onto the sand hills that go along the beach as a extra high tide does come up to those sand hills.People go there on low tide but things can be a challenge on a high tide leaving.

Fair call' date=' I've got 255 Goodyear wranglers and they've been salt creek and back 3 times now. Definately put some wider tires and rims on the wish list[/quote']I have the dealer/manufacturer suppled Bridgestone Dueler 840 255/65R17. wearing even, very low road noise. slice in to the sand a little easy until deflated, dropped them to 20PSI.Please keep in mind i am still green to beach driving as well.

Just sit in low range 3rd gear (manual) and putt through. I'd let my tires down lower for heavy sand, say to 15psi. It'll motor through, I've been chassis deep and still motor through. Don't stop anywhere that looks soft. If you get stuck, reverse before you dig in. You can get out of 90% of bogs that way. You'll learn what your vehicle is capable of and become more confident. I even pulled people out that were chassis deep in the soft stuff, had my fair share of sketchy moments but always carried the shovel and recovery gear just in case

I took the Triton down there after x-mas :)Never been before and I took it very cautiously. Went down to 15psi on advice from a guru but was pleasantly surprised in my trucks performance and the track itself. seems like one of the rare b7ts of fun we south australians are allowed to have now a days lol.When I first set off a Patrol of all thi gs got stuck immediately. .. honestly dont know how that was even possible lol. Had all windows down including the rear one and me wife and two kids just cruised along in 3rd gear with the revs slightly high. Was a nice long adventure made k8nd of eerie in parts due to the l9w visibility from I assume the spray.There were deffinately a few areas that would suck in bad weather - heavy traffic, or squeezed by high tide.The 9nly thing that annoyed me was s9me of the high speed antics - theres just no need to go ball tearing along bouncing around. Flew back from mt gambier last month and the pilot flew low giving us an awesome evening/dusk coorong view - I love that part of the world man - only recently been in there with the tinny and now 4x4 etc - the rest of my life has been a waste hahahey Crusher I particularly like how you asked the question then after the adventure you came back and filled us in. Awes9me cheers man and gd luck at lincoln

Crusher.. if he was or wasnt.. its a valid comment. Highway pressure on beaches and peopel that brag that " i did it all in 2wd" are just senseless morons. ripping up the tracks and making it harder for everyone else!Not having a go at you.. but it is MUCH easier and less stressful on your car and the track if you drop to 20.. ;) how was Gunyah in comparison to the mouth? i love the trip across to gunyah! and gunyah beach is so super soft!!!

The gunyah was easy. There was lots of rain. Very firm, except for 1 part. In regards to goolwa beach, track in had been repaired. Beach drove like a road and I didn't cut it up. That's why I asked. Once I arrived at the soft area we turned back before doing damage

just curious if you are having a dig at me or venting?
Venting. ;) I learned to air down on my first trip to Salt Creek back in 1979' date='when my Series 2 Land Rover wouldn't make it over the crossing and VW Beetle's were romping it in on deflated tyres. :)[/quote']Cheers for clarifying. The VW was often turned into a sand buggy upon road life retirement.

The only graded area is the ramp entering the beach which is levelled out daily,it may be levelled out more often depending on how busy it gets throughout the day.The guy who i go with drives a Nissan Xtrail not much different to a normal car.He carry’s a battery operated pump but has never needed to use it.Just taking his time we can get too and from the mouth without deflating the tyres

The only graded area is the ramp entering the beach which is levelled out daily' date='it may be levelled out more often depending on how busy it gets throughout the day.The guy who i go with drives a Nissan Xtrail not much different to a normal car.He carry’s a battery operated pump but has never needed to use it.Just taking his time we can get too and from the mouth without deflating the tyres[/quote']that's the part I was talking about.