Cheap lures generally don't swim well or have issues with terminals. I wouldnt reccomend it. Some of the 'cheaper' lures that still fish extremely well include the strike pro range and berkley 3b range.If your wanting to fish lures but keep it as cheap as possible then maybe soft plastics would be more the go. But even then... the cheap and nasty ones don't swim nearly as well as the brand names; ie squidgy, berkley, etc.Over time fishing lures you tend to lose less and less. Skills evolve and even just reading a situation and using the right type of lure helps.Only interested in buying them from the shops? Other forums; ie breammaster see a huge turnover in quality gear by some blokes. New or as new $20+ lures often go for the 5-10 mark.

Cheap lures generally don't swim well or have issues with terminals.

Was going to post this almost word for word. I think we are all probably in the same boat in that we are looking for cheaper alternatives when it comes to tackle / lures. It's tempting to buy a lure for $4, when the equivalent Rapala or whatever other quality brand is $15 - $20. However it's more disappointing when you go use your cheap lure only to find the swimming action rubbish, or to try and get any decent action out of the lure requires it to be retrieved at a very specific speed.The last couple of cheap lures I used had the paint flaking off and the trebles rusting badly after one trip and none of the cheap lures caught fish anyway, so they were binned. On this basis it wasn't a case of saving $15, but losing $4.

Rays outdoors Marion Rd have a lot of cheap Lures just left as you enter the store. just under $5 which i think these days is considered cheap.

The lures were Berkley frenzy's. lots of different sizes etc. minnows, flicker shads , poppers. Im no expert but they seemed to swim ok. maybe hooks arent the best in the world but for just under $5 with rays discount card they seemed like a good deal to me .They have even caught fish! :woohoo: