Surf rod advice please

4 yrs ago, I joined a mate & his mate on the ‘annual’ KI salmon trip. Having done bugger all fishing since messing about as a kid (im now 34), didn’t want to spent much to start with so picked up a combo from a local retailer: Jarvis Walker Tuff Tip 12' surf rod, 6-10kg; JW Royal Gold 6500 with 20lb mono.I struggled with the rod, nevertheless persevered & changing out the reel to a Penn 560L with 30lb braid.4years down the track... the rod just doesn’t suit me at all. I can’t cast anything for :c ,it’s way too heavy for me and totally insensitive. I hate using it, had enough and want to get something I can actually enjoy using all day!I’m after a rod for surf fishing; salmon/small mullies/small shark ect. Don’t know if im having a ‘pipe dream’ hear but something to chuck lures out in the depth of dark gutters and bait fish as well when I feel like sitting down.Im a small bloke at 5’9 70kg, fit but not particularly strong, so might struggle with the heavier but tough fiberglass stuff.Looked thru past posts and gather there’s much love for the Wilson’s; 4120, 5120 etc although I’m unfamiliar with them.I looked at the Shimano Aerowave graphite when it was released, seemed lovely and light. Had the sales guy hanging off the tip for me and appeared to have a bit of grunt (I’d be breaking first) but then its entirely different actually swinging one, which you cant really do instore! I dont mind spending up to around $200.Some advice will be greatly appreciated!

Rod preference will come down to the individual, loading up in store wont. FYI - I'm a 6'4" 95-100kg fit bloke.This is what I use, and what each is for.Rodworks 6110 / Stradic 4000 with 20lb Power pro - Casting slugs and light bait fishing, like part pilchards. i can cast a 50g slug 120 meters.Wilson 4120 / 4500b Baitrunner with 30lb Power pro - Medium sized baits, like who pilchards and dead tommies. I can cast the baits around 60 meters.Rodworks 6120/ 6500b Baitrunner with 50lb Power pro - Live baiting or big dead baits. I can cast the baits around 50-60ms with this.For a gerenal rod I like the 4120, but, Diawa and SHimano are both bringing ou lighter stronger rods in the same weight class. Happy shoping.

About a year ago I picked up the Wilson supergraph- a sleek black rod that is just as comfortable knocking over chunky salmon as it is at throwing heavy star sinkers and slabs of salmon back in to the surf for big jewies. Teemed up with a penn spin fisher it's light, cruisy, and smooth, with grabs of durability and grunt. Only about 260 for the combo too.

wilsons are loved for a good reason there tough as any 4 wrap or 5 wrap in 120in or 144in you will be set for a very long time and should have no trouble landing any of you target fish, check out the supergraph heavy surf as well its a fantasic rod heaps of grunt and a sensitve tip. I have also been looking at some of the live fiber surf rods latley 10ft mostly there light as with plenty of power as well just hard sneaking another rod past the misses. if you want to throw lures for salmon id suggest sumthing around 9ft these are great surf casting rods i have a 9ft jewel with a 5000 stradic its light as can cast all day long and it sends a 50gm metal well over 100m out and there so much fun with a 10lb salmon on the end of one. good luck picking your rod its half the fun

You don’t really want a 4120 or a 5120,the 2 guys i fish with use the 5120 and with a graphite rod it out casts them every time.Bit old technology now.You need a graphite 12’ Penn Prevail selling at fishing wholesalers @ $179.Do a search on the rod for more info.I’d stay away from any glass rods now.If you want a Wilson 4120 i got one you can have for $60

You don’t really want a 4120 or a 5120' date='the 2 guys i fish with use the 5120 and with a graphite rod it out casts them every time.Bit old technology now.You need a graphite 12’ Penn Prevail selling at fishing wholesalers @ $179.Do a search on the rod for more info.I’d stay away from any glass rods now.If you want a Wilson 4120 i got one you can have for $60[/quote']Fair call that it is old news, i bought mine and the 4500B as a combo in 2001. only thing i have changed is the line on the spool. Tough as nails, both.

got the same set up years ago "Jarvis Walker Tuff Tip 12' surf rod, 6-10kg; JW Royal Gold 6500 with 20lb mono" i still catch salmon snapper and groper on it! even large rays...im 94kg and been taught to cast alveys from the beach.. might be in your action???though a smaller rod such as a 4-5120 maybe a better suit if your finding it too heavy. single peice "old style" glass rods can be heavy.. but they are so sweet to use. if you do find a Wilson/snyder/butterworth second hand rod for a bargain dont be afriad to snap it up and try.. these things are pretty easy to onsell... i have 5-6 in various guises...

got the same set up years ago "Jarvis Walker Tuff Tip 12' surf rod' date=' 6-10kg; JW Royal Gold 6500 with 20lb mono" i still catch salmon snapper and groper on it! even large rays...im 94kg and been taught to cast alveys from the beach.. might be in your action???though a smaller rod such as a 4-5120 maybe a better suit if your finding it too heavy. single peice "old style" glass rods can be heavy.. but they are so sweet to use. [b']if you do find a Wilson/snyder/butterworth second hand rod for a bargain dont be afriad to snap it up and try[/b].. these things are pretty easy to onsell... i have 5-6 in various guises...

Hugo has a Wilson 4120 2 piece spin beach rod with sand spike. $40. in the F/S slection. I am pretty sure del just bought a rod from him.

Love my Wilson 8144 I think that's what it is! can throw medium baits a good distance matched with my penn 950 ssm 30 pound mono! Also have the supergraph and I love it I didn't think I would relegate my 8144 to second place but the supergraph is light and can throw big baits a decent distance! In my eyes though generally gutters aren't that far away and it is more accuracy you want than distance! I know id prefer to throw 30m and be in a gutter than 50 metres and be sitting on a sandbar. If your looking at throwing slugs go a 9ft, I have a catana that throws up to 60gm nicely for larger slugs I use my tcurve 9ft

I’m after a rod for surf fishing; salmon/small mullies/small shark ect. Don’t know if im having a ‘pipe dream’ hear but something to chuck lures out in the depth of dark gutters and bait fish as well when I feel like sitting down.

The rod I use for salmon, mullies and small shark when fishing with bait and 3-4oz of lead is the right amount to hold bottom is a Daiwa Sensor Surf. I have the 11'4" overhead model rated 2-4oz, but they make the same rod in a threadline version, a little longer at 12'. It's a great rod, nice and light to fish with all day (or night) and casts really well. It would do okay throwing heavier lures at salmon if you needed to, but I generally prefer a shorter, lighter rod for that sort of thing. I've got a Daiwa Seabass 9'6" that is brilliant and the Seajiggers are a good deal at the moment as well. You can get the 12' Sensor for around $200.

Thanks for the imput folks,Plenty of food-for-thought there.Has confirmed a few things: That i need to spend some 'quality time' with my 9' Catana chucking slugs. Hopefully i've sorted my problems braid tangles out so wont just crack the :c .Need to have a good look around and see whats out there around the graphite/composite front. Still like to have a look at a 4120 to at least see what it actually is!