10-20kg surf rod needed

Hi, I've been after a 10-20kg fast tapered surf rod to go with my pflueger for a while I'd also prefer a lighter rod. I currently have a custom 8 wrap len butterworth alvey rod that I used to catch an 80kg+ smooth ray which essentially stopped it in its tracks but I wanted the option to fish two rods as I found when I was down there I had some smaller eagle rays going around and they stripped the bait from that rod a few times so I wanted another rod to fish with a smaller rig to have a chance at those eagle rays.I'm after the 10-20kg (although x-18kg will probably do, the reel has a drag of 13kg) so I'm still in with a decent chance incase a large ray happens to find that bait. I've seen the daiwa sensor surfs but I'm not really looking for a rod thats above 12 feet long as its more to target rays specificly because I already have some surf rods for the snapper/salmon with and the extra length isn't entirely necessary, anything from 10-12ft long is fine.My reel is spooled with 40lb power pro braid and I'm running a 50lb black magic extra tough fluorocarbon leader.Has anyone got any suggestions?The only rod I've found so far which matches my criteria is the samaki zing surf rods but I haven't been able to find any decent reviews on them as of yet, Has anyone used these rods (even the boat rods/lighter surf rods) before?Heres a link to the rodhttp://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/product_detail.asp?productnospaces=samaki_zing_surf_szg_1202sxh_spin_rod_7657

I've got one of these, the 11'3" overhead model,http://daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=270Got it from US ebay (catfishsupplyco), they currently only have a few heavier rods listed but they should have others in the future, and it's only $40 to ship. I imagine the 11' or 12' 20-40lb spinning models would work well for you

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got the zing in 9 ft for plastics and stuff and is a great rod. I picked up the surf zing in store awhile back and really liked it.I rekon itd go alright on mo sta smoothies but be good rod for sharks off the beach aswell

Cheers I reckon I might give the samaki a shot, looks quite decent for the price and not bad on the eyes either
  • 2 weeks later...