When u think u are retrieving slow enough slow down even more.

That's good advice. Bream will often take your SP when it is not moving. Flick your SP out' date=' preferably in an area that's holding fish!, and let it flutter to the bottom, keep an eye on the line, any little odd movements in the line on the drop could indicate a bite, so strike. When it hits the bottom, indicated by your line slackening, leave it there for 5 or so seconds, then lift the SP off the bottom with whichever method you prefer (little hop, big long lift, double twitch lift etc...) then bring the rod tip back down, reel in the slack line and watch the line as the SP flutters back to the bottom, leave it to sit for 5 seconds or so and repeat.... Occasionally a Bream will smash your SP and do the hard work for you, but usually the bite is only indicated by a small movement in your line, strike on this movement and hopefully you hook up. Good luck. ;)

use the lightest jighead possible for weather conditions/depth for the best action on the jighead. bright colours work best on bright days and darker colours are better for overcast days to cast more of a shadow against any form of light thats available (slight sunlight/moonlight for example) retrieve will change on every different soft plastic and fish targetted, not to mention what "mood" the fish are in. some days they won't bother with a fast moving bait whereas other days it'll get smashed. and always keep your finger on the line when you first cast out and its freespooling too the bottom, if theres any fish in the immediate area they have a tendency to bite on the freefall and if you aren't watching you can miss the bite entirely or mistake it for a current pull or something similar.Think about what type of bait you're trying to imitate, for example a wounded baitfish would be a quick tug tug fall and repeat, or you can go more extreme and tug tug tug then wind a bit and let it fall. Best advice I can give is experiment and always think of what kind of action you're imparting to the lure. working it beside a boat in clear water or in sand flats is a good way to get your action downpat. best way is if you have a swimming pool.Last but not least youtube is your friend, theres alot of videos on there from wilson, bcf, adam royter, fishing world, berkley and the list goes on. a simple search for "soft plastics" or "soft plastics retrieve" will produce the results you're after

would of edited this into the first post but left it too long, forgot to mention scent on the plastics.It all depends on how you're fishing them, a fast moving plastic the scent won't make too much of a difference until a fish gets near it or actually grabs it, the scent will help them to hold on but its not entirely necessary.if you have a slower moving bait/fishing it from a rod holder (i.e worm for whiting or squid for snapper) then the scent will help to create a sort of berley trail in the water, releasing that smell out so a fish nearby will come in for a closer look (if they havent seen the plastic of course, if they have seen it it wouldn't make too much of a difference)In my opinion the scent is worth having on there but not entirely necessary, scented plastic are mostly recommended for beginners but people with more experience tend to prefer scented ones as well, it will help when the fish are more timid.You don't necessarily have to buy the scented plastics either, you can put aniseed oil into the packet to create pretty much the same effect as the stuff that comes with the berkley range, some ultrabite stimulate would work even better.I'm pretty sure if you google soft plastic scent recipe theres some that people have come up with that they find cheaper and just as (if not more) effective then the regular scent you get. Haven't tried it myself personally but might be worth a shot

Keep at it , I personally wasn't very comfortable using SP's but after trying and trying and trying i have got it a bit more sussed , feel more confident , i am having more success but still i will struggle to catch a decent amount of fish . But when they are on it is great fun . It is that confidence that you ARE doing the right thing that helps when not catching anything . don't be afraid to mix it up either ie quick reels back in , long pauses with hardly a reel , a quick jerk every now and then and every thing in between . Good luck and don't give up , it is very rewarding to trick a fish with a bit of plastic . Plus the smell of bait on my hands sucks .