Not sure on the legalities of selling live bait, but from someone who works in a tackle shops perspective $4 or $5 would not be unreasonable. I'd be more inclined to think more along the lines of $7 - $8 per bait. We'd have to get a big tank, pumps, cleaning supplies, heaters, electricity, wages not to mention the effort needed to keep them in top condition (because who wants crappy livies?).I don't think it would be worth it for either the supplier or the consumer personally.

Not sure on the legalities of selling live bait' date=' but from someone who works in a tackle shops perspective $4 or $5 would not be unreasonable. I'd be more inclined to think more along the lines of $7 - $8 per bait. We'd have to get a big tank, pumps, cleaning supplies, heaters, electricity, wages not to mention the effort needed to keep them in top condition (because who wants crappy livies?).I don't think it would be worth it for either the supplier or the consumer personally.[/quote']you would only be supplying poweras for the legalities it has to be maintained via the say licensee and probably easier to sell table fish.i only went so far checking this out,sardi put up a berlin walljb after 150 mm they would be plate size i reckon and dear as

Firstly, all fish would have to be legal size (if they have one).All fish would have to be caught / supplied by a licensed professional fisherman, no different to any other fish / bait that is sold.The professional fisherman would have to have a way to catch and keep the fish alive all the way to the tackle storeSome species would be terrible to keep alive long enough to sell to fishers - eg garfish.Given the size / cost issues, many species would be cost prohibitive, due to their table value.A possible scenario, would be a haul net fisherman, that catches a large amount of small shitties. They have little market value, are available in large numbers and are hardy enough to attempt to keep alive.Possible but probably not viable at a cost that fisherman would be willing to pay.

jj and savage im talking about farming the little buggersat sale point,closer to the drink the better,they would be kept fairly close to the water temp youd be fishing.ive probably caught more on a 70 mm specimen than anything elsewould you buy them

Fridge,I wouldn't buy them as I don't fish a lot with live bait. The places I fish for mulloway mostly offers a good chance of getting my own.The only times I have really wanted live bait is when Kingies swim past the boat and won't take anything and I don't have a live squid to throw out.

When I fish in Japan i go to one tackle store that is open 24 /7,they have about 5 large tanks for live fish (horse mackrel usually),but also live shrimp which I use for sea bass,for $15 enough shrimp for at least 2 outings.................I'll be there again in September and can't wait.Of course with the population size here in Adelaide you could never do what they do but it's great when you get a chance to use a service like that

Yeah, worms and gents are two live baits that are always good. Even then though, there's a lot of behind the scenes work to keep tubies or other types of worms fresh. Have to wash them, keep the tubs clean and change the water once a day (twice a day if the weather is hot). If our shops weren't located right next to the water it would be hard to keep them as good as we do. One accident can mean we lose a few kilo's of worms which is obviously never a good thing. I'd hate to try and replicate that with fish where a lot more variables are involved.

cheers for that shimsmanim with you u4l,most ellements i reckon i can coverbut fish health will be another matter,tanks for the reminder-i have a friend who used have seahorses in an aquarium,they ended up breeding.think he used to change the water every five days he gave it up due to the amount of time it consumed.i wont be changing water but work on a bacterial culture,ozone and a few membranes to keep the water up to scratch,more research required,from memory sardi want regular inspections and autopsies also,then there will be epa to i spose to monitor ground salinity and whatever else the gov can screw out you.

• 1 month later...

I personally dont think it would be profitable. Alot of red tape, we dont have a large population so the market is pretty small even more so if only at 1 location and most people want them at night. Think about the money put into kingfish farming.What do you think the price would need to be to make a buck? How many do you think would sell in a week? (given 7 days of fine weather)