sp's in port river

A good starting point is the Berkeley Gulp range, as the fish will even pick it up off the bottom and eat it, even when you put your rod down.Gulp 6" worms are great for Bream, as are the pepper prawns and banana prawns.Squidgies have always been a firm favourite for many anglers, but there's any range of plastics out there which will all do the job.Don't go telling everyone, but I still use the trusted old Atomic 2" Fatgrubs, and they still pull fish.If you're new to plastics select anything with a curl tail, as the tail will impart a swimming action into the lure, even if your own technique is a little lacking.2" up to 3" for Bream, and try to "match the hatch"....if you see small baitfish, select a lure which looks similar to them.A big thing with soft plastics is to actually have confidence in the lure you are using, and fish it as if you know a fish is gonna take it.

Don't go telling everyone' date=' but I still use the trusted old Atomic 2" Fatgrubs, and they still pull fish.[/quote']I just made a topic yesterday after I found a packet of these in the shed... If only I'd waited another day, I could of prevented myself from looking like an ignorant fool!Gilbert - I've heard from many people that the Zman Grubz in motor oil are the best. I've never caught anything on any kind of plastic or lure though so don't listen to me!

I would say that braid would be a must as you will feel every hit as its no stretch. Anywhere from 4-10lb should do the trick and then use the same strength fluorocarbon as your leader. The Berkley fluorocarbon you already have should be ok. The leader is connected to your braid via a knot (I use the Uni-Uni knot, many others though). Then simply tie the leader to your jig head 1/8-1/24 depending on current, with a SP attached. I have used zman grubs, squidgy critters, atomics, etc but I can't go past the Squidgy Wriggler 80mm in bloodworm.

Go somewhere with St's at the moment. They will keep you entertained until you can snag a bream.Straight through fluro is what a lot of east coast fishers use when fish are touchy, it will work.Scent, S-Factor is my Fav. The 2nd cast after application is THE MOST LIKELY to hook a fish.