live baiting rigs surf fishing

Hey guys just want some ideas on using live baits in the surf.i usually tryLeader comes down to a three way swivel50cm leader from the swivel upto the one hook 60cm leader from swivel down to a sinker depending on swell and tide usually a star sinker.And hook the livey around the anal fin.Am I on the right track any thoughts or better rigs any help much appreciated

A tried an tested rig which has produced many fish from the surf. If your chasing surf mullies, I might shorten the leader to the hook to lift the live off of the surf floor. I would probably also use two hooks due to the force when casting could pull a single hook. Do forget you can also use fresh dead bait and cut out the back section to get the fillets flapping in the surf. Imitates a live bai quite well

I use a 10'6" rod, 50lb main line. Keep in mind I don't fish the beaches along the Coorong very often. Fishing Yorkes or the South East with a live bait, 2 snelled 4/0 to 8/0 hooks.untitled.pngThe ring a single dropper paternoster similar to the image below. using 60-80lb trace line. Don't worry about all the poxy beads and stuff shown in the image. from the swivel to the sinker is 3-4 foot, with the loop about 1 foot from the top (swivel). I use a Dropper Loop knot to hang the trave with the hooks from my rig. The hooks are suspended on 15-20 inch of line.single20snood20paternoster.jpgI pin the livie through the upper and lower jaw, then another one near the dorsal fin. similar to the bottom left image, depending on the species. different species respond to different pinning.T0511E19.gif

A tried an tested rig which has produced many fish from the surf. If your chasing surf mullies' date=' I might shorten the leader to the hook to lift the live off of the surf floor. I would probably also use two hooks due to the force when casting could pull a single hook. [b']Do forget you can also use fresh dead bait and cut out the back section to get the fillets flapping in the surf. Imitates a live bai quite well[/b]

like the image below, but still pinning it the same as mentioned above.butterfly.jpg

Another option which is popular in other countries is slide baiting, where a heavy grapnel sinker is cast out, allowed to bed into the sand, and then a one way bait "slide" clipped on to the main line with dead or live bait attached. The bait is then slides down the line with some help from wave action and pumping of the rod.This way, very large baits can be deployed long distances. Thicker mono lines of 20lb and above are used, and heavy/stiff actioned rods are preferable.http://www.alloutangling.co.za/Articles.asp?CategoryID=1&ID=10Hope this helps!Regards,SB

Sounds alright stormy have you tried it out. I reckon though weed plays a big factor with us down here.it may prevent baits reaching the sinker. but if I get a good day I will be sure to try it with a livey. you could really get a bait out a long way if it works. what do you reckon we could use instead of those clips

I have used sliding baits, but not caught anything yet. It works off a "standard" surf beach, but you need the special one way clips and a quite a taut main line. Higher energy beaches work better, but if there is a strong sideways current it can make it awkward, as does weed. Fisherman's Paradise used to stock the clips, the weighted ones are better.Livies tend to swim themselves out, as they can only go in one direction, but dead baits can take a bit of "pumping" of the rod to get it out there.I know some keen shark fishos and they use it a lot, to get big baits out past the breakers where sharks tend to be. Sliding is a bit like long distance casting, it is common in other countries but in little ol' Australia we tend to stick to what we have always used, when there are other options and techniques out there.Cheers!SB