been getting a megaload of bream the last few days down the coorong. Averaging 10- 15 a session. Here is the best for this year at 48.5cm ( lost a few suspected as being bigger and many around the 40cm mark ) Last year i managed a 52cm and am yet to beat it.Bit of a horse hey ? Only problem is my mate caught this one and not me !!! took him to my secret spot and he beats my PB for this year by a cm .. oh well. This is the photo of him and his monster bream.1015773_483804368367439_361376361_o.jpg

we were just using 2 longshanks on a paternoster rig ( about 12 pound braid and 5-6 pound leader - ( not sure without going out to check the tacklebox actually. just a couple of amateurs getting lucky with a few big ones )) . We had cockles, prawns, squid and pillies but the cockles seemed to be the favourite bait the last week or so. I expect them to be around in big numbers until the next big freshwater release from the barrages. Hopefully I can up him a cm or two tomorrow !!

• 1 month later...

The best thing about a bream that size is the phenomenal fight they put up, especially on the light gear.Awesome effort getting in to those horses, and I am really keen to see pics of that 52cm model.By the way my PB is 47cm, so you have made me jealous.Am going to have to suss out the Coorong soon I reckon.Cheers,Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

been getting a megaload of bream the last few days down the coorong. Averaging 10- 15 a session. Here is the best for this year at 48.5cm ( lost a few suspected as being bigger and many around the 40cm mark ) Last year i managed a 52cm and am yet to beat it.Bit of a horse hey ? Only problem is my mate caught this one and not me !!! took him to my secret spot and he beats my PB for this year by a cm .. oh well. This is the photo of him and his monster bream.[attachment=15510]1015773_483804368367439_361376361_o.jpg[/attachment]

Mate, that is insane! Cracking fish. Be tough to ever out do that!
  • 9 months later...

Nice fish m8! What's the biggest caught in sa?? I've honest to god lost a monster near Birkenhead a couple years ago fishing landbased at first light on a hardcore metallic green hardbody! I'm not even going to say how big I think it was, coz I think every1 would think I'm making stuff up... I know in Tasmania they get them up to 5 kgs + ... According to a fishing show I've watched . I was trying out this lure, in a spot that is fenced off now, by the new bridge , and had a small school of baby bream next to the rocks in front of me. As I was trying different techniques, I noticed I was starting to get the small 1's attention, so I thaught if use them to c what action would fire them up...

About my third cast out, getting my lure back within sight, I tried a very slow retrieve, so I could just see the tip of my rod vibrating, and as u started to lower my rod tip, I saw the whole school start swimming towards it! Suddenly, out the corner of my eye, one of the big black rock to the left of my lure started to move, and as I focused on it, my eyes almost popped out of my head!!!!! It froze, and my lure was now 2 winds from bieng against the edge of the rocks I was standing on, do I paused it... Next minute I saw the big white stripe behind its lips as it opened its mouth and inhaled my hardcore! Then it went strait under the rock I was standing and my 4lb braid hooked on a little Jagged bit of the rock. I immediately flipped my bail to not give any resistance, but it was too late!!!! Absolutely Devistated!!!!!! Like I said b4, if I told u how big I think it was, I'd probably b the laughing stock of this sight !

I only had 1 of those lures, and I knew nuthing was Gona bring that fish back, so I packed up and went home in sheer disbelief at what had just happend.

Has any1 else lost, or seen any unbelievably big bream in the port? I'm Shure it can't have been the only 1 in there!

Biggest I have landed here is a 52cm ( I have heard whispers of bigger and I believe it - but you know... photo's or it didn't happen right ? ) But the section of the coorong that I fish over 40cm is the norm more so than the exception.

Always keen to take crew for a flick around my area.

As long as your cool and don't go bringing heaps of mates down with you the next weekend B)