The South Australian Fishing & Lifestyle Party are looking for new members

The currently registered political party, "The South Australian Fishing & Lifestyle Party", are looking for new members. $22.00 for membership and a chance to support those who are and have been fighting for your rights to the great outdoors, particularly in relation to Marine Parks/ Sanctuary Zones. Check us out on Facebook or visit our website www.saflp.com

The first thing that I thought of' date=' when I saw you were asking for members,.....Was, Who is " The South Australian Fishing & Lifestyle Party ".... so I looked at your site and found nothing.......You sure have a good title as a name, But Who are you ?[/quote']It's run out of Down South Marine, make of that what you will.
I hope you receive a friendlier reception on this website' date=' than what you did when you posted the same thing on FishSA!:laugh:[/quote']carn mate, Im amazed that no one else has dared to ask "for more info" after their site admin welcome this party with this highly intelligent,neutral, articulated, well thought out 1 liner:
They are not supportive of our protest so they can go hoot
anybody would've thought that the SAFlifestyle party wouldve shared some common ground with such a high profile recreational only fishing site :lol::lol: Anyway, welcome rocket and friends, Im sure you can tell that things are a little diffrent around here. Hope to read more about your party so I can make an informed decision come next year

Rocket, firstly WELCOME!Please look at my own input, as that of a fellow fisher and a voter, not as that provided by a site staff member (as I wear two hats here).I have been to your website, and have read both your mission statement and your position statement on the new marine parks.Apologies that I am not on facebook to peruse any information provided there.Firstly let me address your position statement:

The South Australian Fishing & Lifestyle Party are totally opposed to the introduction of the “new”marine parks and their associated sanctuary zones, and will do everything in our power to havethis legislation repealed Failing this, we will do everything in our power to have thesanctuary zones that restrict entry, reduced in number and size.

Unlike your own party line, as a fisher I have never been against or totally opposed to marine parks....and will not cast a vote basely solely on that issue.I firmly believe that with increasing population, increasing pressure, and increasing degradation, there is certainly a need for parks, both on land, and on water, to protect and to conserve valuable, delicate and endangered areas/habitat/species. ie: national parks, conservation parks, sanctuaries, marine parks, etc.Like other fishers, I have been deeply concerned as to the lack of scientific evidence and the implementation process of the proposed marine parks, believing it to be an area which certainly does need to be addressed.My own belief is that waters first need to be successfully mapped, with firm data collected to support implementation of valuable areas which are in NEED of protection for the future.The closure/restriction of any other areas either on land or water, utilising a "precautionary" principle I find to be nothing but a breech on libertarian rights, for people to freely utilise the environment and resources on hand.....something which needs to be fought, hence I understand your stance on park zoning and closures.I note your mission statement:

The South Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party undertake to represent the rights of Fishing and Recreational users of the Great Australian Outdoors to actively pursue the following agenda: - To promote the sustainable use of the environment for the recreational and fishing pursuits of the public.- To participate in the democratic system in order to have representatives elected to state and federal parliaments.- To provide political representation for the many Australians who participate in ourhealthy outdoor lifestyle and fishing industries.- To work with the elected Government to ensure that our goals and aspirations are met.- To ensure that legislation enacted by state and federal Governments that affects fishing and recreationalissues is fair, equitable and environmentally responsible and sustainable. - To ensure that the rights of individuals to responsibly pursue outdoor activities withoutunnecessary Government restrictions, are protected.- As a fundamental principle we believe that locking Australians out of the traditional uses ofour national and marine parks is the last resort of a failing management structure. We believemanagement programs, which include maintaining our traditional and cultural links with our Australian lifestyle,should underpin all current and future management regimes.

You make specific mention of "to represent the rights of Fishing and Recreational users of the Great Australian Outdoors" going on to specifically mention "The Great Australian Outdoors, sustainable use of the environment, recreational pursuits of the public, outdoor lifestyle, outdoor activities, Australian lifestyle"Hence the party name, Fishing AND LIFESTYLE Party, suggesting you aim to represent much more than solely fishing based activities.I understand that the marine park issue is one of great current importance, yet I also note, that I have been able to find no reference to any other outdoor activities, plans, closures, proposals or concerns, in relation to the environment or outdoor and lifestyle based activities.My question revolves around discussion as to your aims and plans for action on other areas of concern, apart from solely marine parks. ie, the LIFESTYLE portion of your party: hunting, bowhunting, bushwalking, camping, shooting, swimming, environmental closures, conservation, pollution, degradation, development, etc, etc.To clarify, are you actually a lifestyle (libertarian type) party, or a fishing party with a sole concern of marine parks?What I am seeking is a little more background as to the party itself. The people representing the party, their own background, experience, qualifications. The numbers currently on board of which the party consists, their own goals for the future of this state, and their vision for the entire outdoor environment, and the liberties of the populous who utilise this environment.When I vote, or what party I support, will be due to the vision and policies expressed for the future of the state, not merely a vote against marine parks.....even though I do share what I perceive as a very valid common concern on the marine park issue.I have posted here, as I believe many others in our demographic group would also benefit from further background on what can be considered a relatively new political party claiming to represent the voice of the fisher and the outdoorsman....if you claim to represent me and expect my support, I need to know who you are, what you are, and where you are headed, on a more broad scale than someone facelessly calling themselves "Rocket" fighting against marine parks, coz I just cant vote for an "Anti-Marine Park Party".Do you actually represent me, my views and my lifestyle, in an ongoing manner, or is your sole intent only to prevent marine parks?In regards to the party, its success, numbers and voting, I have recently posted my own concerns in another similar thread, which I would also like to draw to your attention, and request your view in reply: http://www.strikehook.com/forum/5-general-fishing/255055-south-australian-fishing-lifestyle-party?start=15I wish you well for the future of the party and its successes, and look forward to hearing your reply. As a voter I am currently unsure on where my vote, loyalty and support will best lie for any upcoming election......I'd like you to convince me that I'd be making the correct choice should I cross the SAFLP box, and I trust you would remain the "voice" of the voter should my vote contribute to putting you into a trusted position of influence.
Ale - not being one of the FSA-annointed, what "protest" are you referring to?

admin-FSA management wrote: They are not supportive of our protest so they can go hoot

Please tell me it`s not something crazy like CBD boat trailers during peak hour, as has been suggested in a RecreationFishersVoice facebook site post...that would be great publicity for the cause and would generate so much public empathy for same.Not.

Ale - not being one of the FSA-annointed' date=' what "protest" are you referring to?

admin-FSA management wrote: They are not supportive of our protest so they can go hoot

Please tell me it`s not something crazy like CBD boat trailers during peak hour, as has been suggested in a RecreationFishersVoice facebook site post...that would be great publicity for the cause and would generate so much public empathy for same.Not.
Not sure what they are planning Kon. Reading some of the posts over there it would seem they aren't certain what type of protest they are mounting and have no clarity of what exactly they are actually protesting about!

Ale - not being one of the FSA-annointed' date=' what "protest" are you referring to?

The less scrutiny of my boat trailer the better :whistle:

Rocket,Do I have to be a friend on your facebook site to read your comments? (I hate facebook)When and where do you have your meetings? Can I attend if not a member?How will you vote for a leader/senate hopeful, or is this done already?Where does the party stand on Gay marriage? I have a good fishing mate who is gay and wants to marry his boyfriend.

I have posted here' date=' as I believe many others in our demographic group would also benefit from further background on what can be considered a relatively new political party claiming to represent the voice of the fisher and the outdoorsman....if you claim to represent me and expect my support, I need to know who you are, what you are, and where you are headed, on a more broad scale than someone facelessly calling themselves "Rocket" fighting against marine parks, coz I just cant vote for an "Anti-Marine Park Party".[/quote']Apologies! A search back to March 2010 has shown that many of my questions have already been long answered:
In the upcoming election you now have a way of expressing your diapproval of this debacle by voting in the upperhouse/legislative council forINDEPENDENT SA FISHING & LIFESTYLEBelow is their announcement & manifesto/press release re. marine parks/ sanctuary zonesPRESS ANNOUNCEMENT:Hi,I would like to announce that the INDEPENDENT SA FISHING & LIFESTYLE group will be standing two candidates, Neil Armstrong and Paul Tippins, for the Legislative Council in the upcoming election.As a group we are standing on behalf of all fishers, commercial, recreational & charter plus aquaculture, divers, marine & tackle businesses and the many other people who feel disenfranchised by their impending potential loss of lifestyle/livelihoods due to the introduction of these new MPA's/Marine Parks and their yet to be declared minefield of sanctuary "LOCKOUT" zones.We are not entering the political arena to polish any egos, but as and on behalf of all South Australians who have, we believe, not been told the whole truth regarding this legislation. We believe that the state government has deliberately and cunningly withheld the disclosure of the proposed sanctuary zones until after the election in an attempt to avoid a massive voter backlash. They think that by declaring these sanctuary zones after the election that fishers anger and memories will fade before the next electionThey have another think coming."Attached is a press release or moreover a manifesto, stating our views.Please feel free to contact me if you require any further information,Regards, Neil Armstrong,INDEPENDENT SA FISHING & LIFESTYLE candidatePRESS RELEASE/MANIFESTO:New Marine Parks a cruel hoaxThe soon to be proclaimed minefield of sanctuary lockout zones in the new Marine Parks, will be a cancer on our coast and are likely to be terminal for many businesses, livelihoods and lifestyles. They are nothing but a disgusting waste of taxpayers money and a cruel hoax being played on all South Australians, believes Neil Armstrong, INDEPENDENT SA FISHING & LIFESTYLE Legislative Council candidate.Why?Based on hard to find unbiased” marine scientific comment, plus my own research, it is my firm belief that:1/.Marine Parks/sanctuary zones do nothing to prevent, polluted stormwater run-off, hyper-salinity from desalination plants, storms, oil spills, climate change, other pollution, or ship groundings. Their primary effect is to prohibit fishing and aquaculture which in SA is the main economic use of our marine biodiversity/resource, and which is at a level that is far below the sustainable limit in most areas.2/. Up to 6,000 jobs and over $1000 million in the fishing, boating & associated industries are being put at risk by the introduction of these new marine parks. (Grow Boating Australia, report 09/07)3/. Based on the Pirsa SA Recreational Fishing Survey 2007-08 (released Dec 2009) versus 2000-01.a/. Participation rates for recreational fishing have decreased 7% (from 23% to 16%), mainly in the younger age groups.b/. With the exception of 2 species (snapper & blue swimmer crabs) there are less fish of all other targeted species being takenc/. More fish are being returned to the water than ever before4/. Land based pollution is responsible for most of the damage done to our marine biodiversity, not fishers.5/. No fish has ever been exterminated by line fishing in SA.6/. For all practical purposes 90% of our SA coastal waters are already a green zone.7/. The introduction in our state waters of potentially 200+ unmarked/invisible sanctuary lockout zones will probably discourage many people from fishing, particularly in light of the heavy fines that will be imposed on them for straying into one8/. Our present marine management regime and system of aquatic reserves is currently and has always been more than adequate in dealing with fishing practices and our marine biodiversity9/. The State Labor Government has a credibility problem on marine environmental issues. Hyper-salinity from the desalination plant at Port Stanvac, a couple of kilometres from a proposed marine park, will probably destroy the well known adjacent squid/calamari breeding area, and hyper-salinity from the desalination plant under consideration at Point Lowly near Whyalla will most likely destroy the giant cuttlefish population in that area also. Talk about hypocrisy and environmental vandalism!10/. The real environmentalists are Fishers, the ones who believe in bag limits, catch limits, possession limits, size limits, closed seasons, protected species and relevant aquatic reserves etc. They are the ones with a vested interest in a sustainable environment/biodiversity. One which their children can continue to enjoy and responsibly interact with.11/. Fundamentalist, radical green lobby groups staffed by naive, immature and the difficult to employ, with their senseless, lock it up at all costs mentality are the ones driving this legislation. They think they have the right to destroy our lifestyle/livelihoods.12/. Many of our politicians dont give a sh?t about our environment, only their political survival. This pathetic legislation stems from Little Johnnie giving into those fundamentalist, radical greens over a decade ago (re NRSMPAs) in order to obtain green preferences at election time and the scenario still hasnt changed.IN SUMMARY I believe these marine parks are only about politics, preferences, lobby groups, staying in power at all costs, wasting millions of dollars in tax payers money and government spin, not about your State or Federal Government giving a tinkers damn about the environment. Thats why they wont disclose the multitude of sanctuary lockout zone locations before the election! It is about time that some of our gutless, patronising, self serving, ego polishing, politicians considered our regional economies plus the livelihoods and lifestyles of ordinary South Australians, instead of pandering to the self proclaimed fundamentalist messiahs of conservation, the radical bright green, know it all, minority in our society.Written and authorised by Neil Armstrong, INDEPENDENT SA FISHING & LIFESTYLE Legislative Council candidate,LIGHT GREEN not BRIGHT GREEN

JimboYou may be technically correct re advertising, but to be fair I am looking at it more from the perspective of gratis information provision.It may be of benefit for our overall cause to have a seat in the upper house next year occupied by the Fisher/Shooters or SAFLP.WA have one seat (nearly got two apparently), NSW have two...so a little advance clarification on here is probably no bad thing?I am not so much interested in the self-spruiking in relation to finer detail to the n-th degree, but would certainly like to know what the story is with mutual cross-preferencing for both parties...for those who vote above the line, anyway.Although I personally take an extra few minutes out of my life every few years to make the gargantuan effort of voting below the line... :)

Sorry ...knackersBut why bring sexual orientation to a fishing forum Open to attack Once gain sorry ...rush o blood

Just to expose the realities of single issue parties. They often hold the balance of power in the senate so even though they only represent a single issue thay are often called to pass legislation on a wide range of matters. They may have the deciding votes.No need to apologise, its politics. It should drive us nuts :silly:

Just wondering Moderators but is this advertising ?

I don't see political posts to be advertising as such.This is a minor political party working for an interest which directly relates to fishermen.If it's relevant to us, I am certainly happy for it to be posted on our forums, where you can find information, ask questions, or converse with candidates and/or party members.We attempt to provide a broad spectrum of diversity here, hence the involvement of DENR, PIRSA, RECFISH SA (formerly SARFAC), DRFC, angling clubs, tackle stores, bait suppliers, manufacturers, workshops, and any other relevant group of interest to rec fishermen and boaters........SAFLP is no exception to that.All we request in return, is that they each make an attempt to be active participants, for the benefit of site members. SAFLP in my own view is another group working for your interests, so should you wish, it is also in your interest to enter discussions with them, seek information from them, and air your views and opinions with them.Should the political side of the sport not interest you, we make attempts to confine it to limited areas of the forum, so that you as a member may overlook the posts and simply move on to something of greater personal interest.No member is in any way obliged to support, fund, or join any group, club, business or party you may find contributing on these forums......yet they are all here for your interest should you wish to explore them further.