Hi guysIm loking at buying my first boat soon. I have read lots of conversations regarding this, but i have my own certain requirements. I am looking for something which meets the following criteria. Any help or sujestions would be greatly appreciated.-boat does not need to be new, can be second hand (would obviously like something as new as possible)-The largest target species i would like to go for is snapper, nothing outside the gulf tho. -I would prefer something with a bit deeper sides-It will be my first boat as stated, so i would like something easy to use, stable etc-I dont mind buying interstate-The budget is around the $20000 mark i think.Any ideas would be greatThanks

Mattfisho, you have got most of what you need in your head there, well done, I would like to point you in the direction of Ryan, ( HSVLS19 ) , he is a shipwright, and if you need an expert opinion on any craft you are looking at, I suggest you talk with him, and ask him to come along with you.Last thing you need is buying a boat, and you find out too late that it is not seaworthy.

IMHO, you have 2 very important aspects you havnt considered/mentioned:What are you towing it with and where will you want to store it.In addition, how many people do you envision fishing with you? Any kids? only in good weather or are you likely to fish all round the year?Much esturary work planned?You say you only want to fish in our gulf, our gulf can get pretty knarley at times, with steep, close set chop. I often scratch my head at the end of these threads, so often the actual boat purchased in the end ( if it happens) ends up being very diffrent to what was first thought

Thanks for your repliesI am going to store it in a warehouse, so thats no issue, and my tow vehicle is a 2002 hilux 3Litre non turbo diesel. I may do some estry fishing, but i would not be bothered if that wasnt possible, as i would be able to use a mates boat. Ideally I would like to fish all year round with the boat. But i would be selective in when to fish die to weather paterns etcThere would be no more than three people onboard. (Rarely ever 4) and no kids currently would be onboard.Cheers

That is very tempting but its not exactly what im after. Whilst it is a great boat, i would rather something with slightly higher sides and a very small cabin up the front. (My mind might change tho) haha. You shouldnt have any troubles selling this boat, it is far better than anything i have seen advertised. What year is the hull if you dont mind me asking?

Hey mate, have a look at stabicraft , they are hard to find 2nd hand ( for a reason ) but amazing tinnys, solo launch/ retrieve is simple, low maintainance , strong and robust as an ox, unsinkable , good little cabin, as stable at anchor as boats meters longer than their actual length, great resale value, negatives IMO are not as sweet into a head sea as a glass boat as they don't have the weight or fine entry point , however the old 460 mtr or 509 mtr will handle with ease anything that you would be comfy being out in , good luck

Hey mate' date=' have a look at stabicraft , they are hard to find 2nd hand ( for a reason ) but amazing tinnys, solo launch/ retrieve is simple, low maintainance , strong and robust as an ox, unsinkable , good little cabin, as stable at anchor as boats meters longer than their actual length, great resale value, negatives IMO are not as sweet into a head sea as a glass boat as they don't have the weight or fine entry point , however the old 460 mtr or 509 mtr will handle with ease anything that you would be comfy being out in , good luck[/quote']Thanks for the idea mate. They would be ideal but arnt they really expensive?Cheers

Firstly you need to decide on what u prefer,Flatter bottom hulls are more stable at anchor, but shockers into the chop. Deeper v's are less stable at anchor but cut up the chop. Whats more important to you ?Tinnies are lighter easier to tow, cheaper on fuel, but the rides not as good. Again what is more important to you. Personally I'd go for a deep V, no matter who you are u will always go out and get caught out in rough weather. So what if it rocks a bit at anchor.Nothing worse then pounding into a southerly returning from goannas, all your expensive electronics, BANG BANG That short sharp chop we have in this gulf sux

For your first boat I reckon a 5.3m (17ft) half or cuddy cab fiberglass would be the go. This is a popular size and I could list dozens of makes and models of late 90's and early 00's boats that fit this category and your price range.My other advice is always try to look for something that's been repowered with a late model or low hour motor, if possible, to give you the best start to a few years of trouble free boating. A newer motor will likely be more reliable, more econonical, possibly quieter and also easier to get parts for down the track.

I recently purchased my first boat.... i just looked for something that i new would handle the fish i was gonna be chasing, i looked interstate because the prices are much better and there is alot more boats to choose from... its a great feeling taking your boat out the first time B) Good luck with your search Sambo

Be giving some serious consideration for this beast if you can pull a few extra $$$http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001-3003350/boats-marine-and-aircraft/haines-hunter-boat-620-sf-flatline-6-5-metre-hin-auhhu62059j797cheers 4THA

Surely that thing will go for much more than 25k :ohmy:That aside, you need to be very discriminating when it comes to the motor on any given boat. Remember its the package mate BMT.Loads of people get fooled by nice hulls - especially at yards man, the dealers have all sorts of old donks stuck on decent hulls - when ive looked at boats I expect to get a boat and motor of similar vintage if not you want the motor to be younger than the boat know what I mean - be careful of nice boats repowered with donks 10-20 years older than the boat ;)My boats worth $1.99c lol but if spend8ng $20k id be realistic. Probably dont worry too much about outrageous bargains, go for tried and true staun h boats and motors.if I were you, I would be looking at the Haines Hunter V19's find one and have a on water test. Cheers

That boat that 4tha linked would realistically cost you 30k by the time you pay the gst, buyers premium etc.There was an exceptional buy on boatsales my BIL was eyeing off and now that he's decided to pull the trigger on it the boat is under offer. So sometimes if you see a good deal be ready to jump on it.Here's a great first boat to cut your teeth on. One owner, maintained and a reliable package worthy of consideration and you could certainly haggle further.http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=12854412&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=38&eapi=2