With the resto of our Savage (first ever tub) moving forward to paint and fit out stage I thought I would ask the question and ask peoples thoughts on marine carpet and more particularly the install method.Adhesive to glue it down or a removable option like velcro tabs or perhaps even press studs ... or no carpet at all? ... perhaps in favour of a "gritted" deck paint?Im all ears, give me the pros and cons. Whats in your boat /what works best for you?Cheers

Don't have a boat but I'd say carpet. Use contact adhesive (like quick grip) onto marine ply then stainless screws to hold thw whole lot into position. If you design it nicely you can have storage spots via lift out panels etc. Will last for quite a while and when replacement time comes just unscrew the panels and it all comes out.

Id do carpet, but use press studs in a few vital areas to keep it fixed in place.Have it in 2 managable sections that can easly be removed for when hosing out your boat. Then hose the carpet out in the back yard and let them dry seperatly.Probably a bit anal, but thats what Id do after re doing all the floor so nicely, especially if keeping the old girl for a long time, or even for preserving her for another 30-40 years :)

I wish I didn't have carpet in my tub, thinking of removing it actually. It looks and feels great but is hard to clean as has been said. I find it stays wet for a while too under my carport, would be ok out in the sun but haven't seen the sun for a while.Also I said it looks great, well mine did, now looks like I've been catching squid, I forgot to clean it out after a few squiddlies shared their joy.

If you go to Bunnings they have these black Rubber door mats for about 7 dollars each,they don't lock together but don't move around at all, i have 9(80bucks) of them covering the floor of my boat and have done for around 10 years.Quick rinse back at the ramp and bobs your uncle. cheers brenton

http://www.regupol.com.au/au/products/sports-leisure/marine-applications/overview-marine-applications.phpapparently this stuff is the duck's guts... would imagine it'd be pricey though.its the same spongey stuff they use on some playgrounds etc these days instead of bark chips ;)stays dry, non slip, doesn't get too hot, its comfy underfoot and easy to clean etc.rubber mats, ute liners etc are the cheaper alternative, but they get hot and can get uncomfortable if fishing for a long time, especially if you are a barefoot fisherman.there are other grid pattern rubber floor options aswell, called vynalite or vynagrip. I would not go carpet at all.

Hey Ale, yeah that was my thinking to go with a press stud/removable option over a glue option. For the exact reason you stated. It really has come up nice and I don't think I really want to go covering it in adhesive.

Id do carpet' date=' but use press studs in a few vital areas to keep it fixed in place.Have it in 2 managable sections that can easly be removed for when hosing out your boat. Then hose the carpet out in the back yard and let them dry seperatly.Probably a bit anal, but thats what Id do after re doing all the floor so nicely, especially if keeping the old girl for a long time, or even for preserving her for another 30-40 years :)[/quote']

Sounds good, any pics of it you can share Brenton?

If you go to Bunnings they have these black Rubber door mats for about 7 dollars each' date='they don't lock together but don't move around at all, i have 9(80bucks) of them covering the floor of my boat and have done for around 10 years.Quick rinse back at the ramp and bobs your uncle. cheers brenton[/quote']

Thanks Kingsley !In my network of business contacts I actually know a guy that installs children's playgrounds as apart of his landscaping business in Canberra so I might give him a call and pick his brain.

http://www.regupol.com.au/au/products/sports-leisure/marine-applications/overview-marine-applications.phpapparently this stuff is the duck's guts... would imagine it'd be pricey though.its the same spongey stuff they use on some playgrounds etc these days instead of bark chips ;)stays dry' date=' non slip, doesn't get too hot, its comfy underfoot and easy to clean etc.rubber mats, ute liners etc are the cheaper alternative, but they get hot and can get uncomfortable if fishing for a long time, especially if you are a barefoot fisherman.there are other grid pattern rubber floor options aswell, called vynalite or vynagrip. I would not go carpet at all.[/quote']

Hey ppl, I too am a barefoot fisherman but I absolutely would not use carpet.. It is hard to keep clean, needs to be hung up to dry properly,it smells & holds moisture/dampness which are the enemies of wooden floors. If you must lay something on the floor use rubber matting that can be rolled up to clean under, has good non-slip properties,is soft under foot & can be lifted easily to allow what`s underneath to dry as well. Paramount-Browns have a pretty good range. Personally I like coatings that are non-slip on the floor, so I`d go with Moggy`s sand coating given you can`t get the rubberised paint-on/roll-on coating that is on my floor anymore. Cheers.

I'm another carpet guy. So much nicer under foot especially in summer when the floor can get really hot, and without carpet a bare fibreglass floor can get pretty slippery when a bit of water gets on it as well as bait and fish guts. Carpet also helps reduce Eskies and tackle boxes sliding while underway too..And so far as it being hard to clean and smelly..... I'm not sure what you guys are doing! :P I've never had that issue, even after having multiple tuna bled on the carpet, lots of squid cleaned on the carpet and the usual bait and burley mashed and trodden into the carpet all day long. I think one of the keys to help in keeping it clean is washing it down with a bucket of water or the deck wash during the day and keeping the ink, blood and guts moist, then back at home chucking some soapy water on it and blasting it with the hose. Any tough stains can be scrubbed out using a stiff brush and warm soapy water. So long as the boat is stored in a dry place with the jockey wheel wound out so the bow is up high, within a day or two the water drains off the carpet and out the boat and the carpet is back to new again...... well at least that's how I do it :)

Hey mate, I just did the floor on my tabs with new marine carpet and a whole new floor. I removed both seats to maximise deck room so I can sleep 3 on the deck for over night trips, and its the best thing I've done. I've never had an issue keeping carpet clean, just use a bio degradeable detergent and give it a good scrub with a pressure wash every now and again. The pros definitely out way the cons in my opinion, there's nothing like the feeling of carpet under foot when your fishing. I used the thicker marine carpet and the turf adhesive to hold it all down. Easy and it looks great. Hope this helps

Someone said something about artificial turf??? At Adelaide Uni Hockey club (west beach) they replaced their artificial turf and in the carpark sits, literally tonnes of artificial turf from the removed pitch. Just roll down there and grab some, pretty sure its just waiting to be dumped/taken. If need be I can ask just to make sure. I'll see if I can take a photo tomorrow.

Hey Budman,If it were up to me, i'd be looking at a textured paint finish like this: LINKCarpet is decent too, but if you don't have a pressure cleaner, it won't be that easy to keep it looking nice, whereas a textured acrylic finish will look professional and keep the resale value of the boat better. Also these kinds of finishes are of industrial quality and are used around pools and walkways, so wear won't be an issue.If you change your mind and want carpet someday, you can just lay it straight over the finish, but securing it properly might be difficult without contact adhesive, which is terrible stuff to remove if you should ever decide to rip it back up!Good luck with whatever you decide to do mate. :)

Thanks for the replies so far :clap: Cant say its swayed my decision either way as yet ... but im leaning toward fully removable press stud carpet option that can be taken out for cleaning. I have a hot water pressure cleaner so giving it a blast down aint gonna be a problem.Whitworths sell a textured deck paint by Northane - http://www.norglass.com.au/products/weatherfast-deck-paintHas anyone used it?If we were to go a textured option thats probably what I would buy over doing it with sand.Maybe I should do both :whistle:

www.norglass.com.au/products/weatherfast-deck-paint is just an enamal base paint.After playing around with different options, 2pac Autothane commercial paint is the hardest wearing, prime your surface first with an alloy epoxy primer, roll on a coat of Autothane & sprinkle dried sand in it, let it dry for at least 20 mins, blow off excess sand & then roll on the top coat.This will stop your carpet slipping around & protect the alloy from corrosion.The carpet will speed up any corrosion if left.I've had carpet in the pass & I don't miss it, just an extra job to clean, I prefer to put my time in other areas on the tub. B)