Berleying From Shore?

Hey eyeryone,After the water clears up, i'm considering a spot of light tackle beach fishing on an outgoing tide; but I've run into an issue:I want to use my berley pot from the shore but don't know how to go about it, anyone in the know about this, or can think of a way to do it without the pot floating away?Please Help! :blush:

Use a berley/keeper bag or pot and tether it to your surf rod holder ora wooden stake' date=' whatever, use your imagination.[/quote']How far out should the berley pot be? I'm assuming that there will be some waves around where I'll be fishing, so I don't want my berley to wash ashore.Embarassingly enough, I don't have a rod holder at the moment, will some 30mm pvc pipe do the trick, or will it be tough to push into the sand?

Get some steel 20 mm conduit (from a sparky or wholesaler) or a piece of round metal rod. 200mm from the bottom of the rod holder drill holes either side of the rod holder to suit your conduit or steel, once this is done slide your conduit/steel through holes. You now have a foot peg you stamp with your feet into the sand that will make your rod holder very sturdy,also cut the bottom at a 45 degree angle (makes go into sand heaps easier) Also measure from the top down 100mm, drill a 25mm hole and then get a grinder and cut from the top down each outside edge of hole just cut, this piece will fall out and you will have a spot for your reel to slot into and stay sturdy instead of swinging around on wind or the like. Hope this helps

G"day shimsman,get a length of rope ,a piece of pvc[king prawns idea is the go],a star dropper,a big garden stake,anything to anchor it, and put just enough weight in it[snapper sinker ect] so it still rolls around with the waves .Have it in the edge of the wash,not actually sitting in the water but on the sand so the waves go over the top on there way up then back over it on the way out.,The wave action will disperse your berley soon enough out into the area in front of it bringing the fish to you,the idea is getting them scrounging in close so all you have to do is cast out a short distance into the immediate area in front of the berley pot.Cheers

Get some steel 20 mm conduit (from a sparky or wholesaler) or a piece of round metal rod. 200mm from the bottom of the rod holder drill holes either side of the rod holder to suit your conduit or steel' date=' once this is done slide your conduit/steel through holes. You now have a foot peg you stamp with your feet into the sand that will make your rod holder very sturdy,also cut the bottom at a 45 degree angle (makes go into sand heaps easier) Also measure from the top down 100mm, drill a 25mm hole and then get a grinder and cut from the top down each outside edge of hole just cut, this piece will fall out and you will have a spot for your reel to slot into and stay sturdy instead of swinging around on wind or the like. Hope this helps[/quote']Thanks KP, I kind of get what you're talking about and have the rough idea in my head; do you have any pics that you can show? I've seen the commercially available holder designs but I have some 19mm dowelling and PVC at home left over so might be able to knock one together tomorrow.Cal, you're saying that the wave action will help disperse the berley? usually I have to give the pot the occasional tug to release some more into the water so this seems like a good idea to get a lot of berley out there, so I might have to bring some extra berley; good thing I have an oversupply at the mo!This kind of advice is why I love this forum :cheer:

your berley washing ashore shouldnt be a problem with an outgoing, the only thing you'd have to worry about is the waves receding back far enough that your pot is out of the water. A simple berley pot (can be an orange sack or hessian sack as well) tied to rope would do for the pot. To make sure it doesn't float away put some sinkers or rocks in the bottom and it'll hold on the bottom.Rod holders for the beach don't have to be complicated, I've used pvc pipe for years with success as long as the sand is relatively soft you shouldn't have a problem getting it in the ground. And if you don't have the option of making the pot before going out something as simple as a rock you pick up on your way out will do just fine, just tie a loop around one end of the rope and tie it onto the rock like a noose. Can even do it with your tackle box/bag as long as conditions aren't too rough it'll hold a treat.The wave action will help disperse the berley on an outgoing tide from the waves receding underneath once it hits the shore, it'll take the berley out into the ocean. the occasional tug on the rope will help to break up the contents/create a quick release of your berley as well.What some people do for beach fishing is when the tide is low they'll actually bury fish frames/berley underneath the sand and when the tide comes in it will slowly bring the sand off that and even before that it will be releasing scent into the water.One other tip is to find out which way the berley will be drifting as it wont always go straight out to the sea, more often it will go either to the left or right. to test this simply drop a small piece of bait and watch which way it drifts so you aren't casting on the wrong side of the berley pot, you could have the current going to the right while you fish the left of the berley pot and only pick up the odd fish that goes away from the school whereas on the right you could be getting constant bites

Thanks for the tips Luke, might bring a few oz of old sinkers to weigh it down if it won't stay put on the surface!I know I need to take the drift into account and that will determine where on the beach I'll fish; preferably I'd like some of the berley to drift past structure and lure out some nice fish from there.Can't wait to get out and fish now! B)

thanks netman, will try that sometime but as a floating setup since most of the stuff I go for is on the smaller side (usually have a surf rod out with a big bait too.)tying it down with a rock is a great idea, if I run a short length of rope just long enough to float the bucket, the bucket won't wash up and I won't get snagged in the line like I did when using a long rope; will definitely try it next time I beach fish!