Bad Weather Success Stories

A few weeks ago I had a bad weather bonanza.It started out mowing the lawn at my mates place. Being a nice day, one thing led to another after a few too many coffees and I was digging up a garden bed.I was noticing some very large worms, both big blue worms, and red wrigglers. I knew their names after doing some worm research online recently. They looked too good to waste so I started collecting them in a container. After a while I totally gave up gardening, focussing on collecting worms instead.When I had a decent amount I decided to go to my local carp ponds and try them out. By this time the weather had changed completely, with dark rain clouds moving in, even though the temperature was still fairly warm. I decided to continue with my plans for fishing, and proceeded to my favourite spot.I set up, baited up, cast out, set the drag, got settled in my chair........and it started bucketing down. I left the rods out and rushed the 10-15m back to the car to wait it out. It was hard to see the rods properly through the windows, but after a short while I noticed one of the rods going ballistic. I quickly chucked on a jacket and ran to the rod.That was the start of 8 carp all up, with the smallest 53cm and 2.90kg, and the biggest 73cm and 4.9kg.This frantic action went on for about an hour and a half, at one stage with both rods going mental at once. The whole time the rain was hammering down, and I couldn't care less, coz I was catching fish!Then as suddenly as it started, the rain stopped, and the fish shut down completely. I kept fishing for another 2 hours with not even a sniff. I pulled the pin, packed up and went back to my mates place to dump the remaining worms back in the garden.I will never forget those fish that day. It was warm, it was raining and they were hungry.Thanks for letting me share that with you.Steve

Went to west lakes today but didn't see anything nor catch anything.... And it was also full of weed! So we moved to Grange jetty and still had no luck... A guy next to us had already caught 4 mullet before we got there! And another guy caught 8!!! All the action had stopped before I got there... :( :pinch: Cheers Alex.

Pretty much my entire young fishing life was Bad Weather stories as I mostly preferred to fish for big salmon in the dead of winter. The best times were when it was freezing cold, pouring with rain and windy. I'd jump on my bike with my wet weather gear and a rod, my friends would look at me like I was insane, and I'd be on my way.Sitting out on the rocks in those conditions at a number of places around Port Lincoln (Kirton Point, Billy Lights, Axel Stenross, The Oasis) almost always produced a few proper Australian Salmon. To me as a kid, there wasn't much better sitting huddled in the lee of a nice big rock while the weather howled, waiting for that big hit.These days I'm too sooky to get out on the rocks in that type of weather. :P

Ill chip in with three bad weather success stories my 2 most recent and 1 most memorableThe most Memorable one was about 2 years ago at snakes. Some of the guys I fish with off here and myself were heading down for some hopefull salmon, throwing slugs of the rocks. It was wet, it was windy and the swell was pumping, when I got there a bit later than my mates there was about 10-15 people lined up not quite shoulder to shoulder throwing lures and just about hooking up every cast, dropping fish landing fish getting snagged. id say the largest in the school was probably 2-2.5 kg most were 1-2kg. I would have to say this was one of the most frantic fishing sessions in my Life. I was in boardies and a tshirt nearly everone else had waders and wet weather gear, they were worse off because you had to dodge the breakers hitting the rocks everyone was getting saturated and waders were filling up. I ended up with around ten all up and kept two for tea, and gave the rest to my mate for his bait freezer. I lost about 4 lures that day. ( the next weekend I went down with my wetsuit goggles and bodyboard and picked up around 250 dollars worth of lures and reclaimed 3 of my 4 that I lost) :evil: The two most recent happened on the same weekend the 21st of july was originally going to be a weekend in the Barossa doing a hot air balloon flight with the missus and no kids! with 40-60km winds I think it was, there was no chance of that happening. so Friday the 20th we decided about 5pm to head to wallaroo and stay at the missus's dads holiday house.this house is right behind the loading/ storage silos of the jetty so we get a bit of a windbreak at the house. Me and a friend decided to brave the elements and go fish. We thought we would have a chance at snapper with the water being dirty and being blowy a couple of days beforehand. Unfortunately there was a ship in and we could only go to the gates we had two sessions one from about 12:30 pm to 5pm this was mayhem , with hail , rain wind, and no cover we toughed it out with some reward 4 blue crabs and 4 salmon trout about 40cm I picked up a flathead no bigger than my thumb. the next session was just as bad (weather wise) from 8pm to 12 am but we picked up a monster port Jackson and after the first two hours 40 to 60 tommies of good bait size and we left them biting, also picked up another 4 blue crabs to make a decent feast. I was stoked to brave the weather and come back with a reward.On the Monday of that weekend I decided to Hit Waitpinga it was windy and rainy and there was 3 other people there. I ended up with 8 salmon around 1.5kg with a seal taking 8- 10 off my hooks and gashing up a lot that I caught as well. All in all it was a very satisfying weekend.In my experience I have had a lot more luck while surf fishing, jetty fishing, and freshwater fishing in horrible weather. With all the circumstances working together I think it brings fish on the chew. :rain::fishing::clap:

Ill chip in with three bad weather success stories my 2 most recent and 1 most memorableThe most Memorable one was about 2 years ago at snakes. Some of the guys I fish with off here and myself were heading down for some hopefull salmon' date=' throwing slugs of the rocks. It was wet, it was windy and the swell was pumping, when I got there a bit later than my mates there was about 10-15 people lined up not quite shoulder to shoulder throwing lures and just about hooking up every cast, dropping fish landing fish getting snagged. id say the largest in the school was probably 2-2.5 kg most were 1-2kg. I would have to say this was one of the most frantic fishing sessions in my Life. I was in boardies and a tshirt nearly everone else had waders and wet weather gear, they were worse off because you had to dodge the breakers hitting the rocks everyone was getting saturated and waders were filling up. I ended up with around ten all up and kept two for tea, and gave the rest to my mate for his bait freezer. I lost about 4 lures that day. ( the next weekend I went down with my wetsuit goggles and bodyboard and picked up around 250 dollars worth of lures and reclaimed 3 of my 4 that I lost) :evil: The two most recent happened on the same weekend the 21st of july was originally going to be a weekend in the Barossa doing a hot air balloon flight with the missus and no kids! with 40-60km winds I think it was, there was no chance of that happening. so Friday the 20th we decided about 5pm to head to wallaroo and stay at the missus's dads holiday house.this house is right behind the loading/ storage silos of the jetty so we get a bit of a windbreak at the house. Me and a friend decided to brave the elements and go fish. We thought we would have a chance at snapper with the water being dirty and being blowy a couple of days beforehand. Unfortunately there was a ship in and we could only go to the gates we had two sessions one from about 12:30 pm to 5pm this was mayhem , with hail , rain wind, and no cover we toughed it out with some reward 4 blue crabs and 4 salmon trout about 40cm I picked up a flathead no bigger than my thumb. the next session was just as bad (weather wise) from 8pm to 12 am but we picked up a monster port Jackson and after the first two hours 40 to 60 tommies of good bait size and we left them biting, also picked up another 4 blue crabs to make a decent feast. I was stoked to brave the weather and come back with a reward.On the Monday of that weekend I decided to Hit Waitpinga it was windy and rainy and there was 3 other people there. I ended up with 8 salmon around 1.5kg with a seal taking 8- 10 off my hooks and gashing up a lot that I caught as well. All in all it was a very satisfying weekend.In my experience I have had a lot more luck while surf fishing, jetty fishing, and freshwater fishing in horrible weather. With all the circumstances working together I think it brings fish on the chew. :rain::fishing::clap:[/quote']Was a good afternoon of fishing that day at snakes ;)