St Kilda - Chapman Creek Aquatic Reserve open for land based fishing!

Morning Hookers! Today I have some exciting news; the St Kilda - Chapman's Creek aquatic reserve has been lifted for land based fishing as of midnight last night. The reserve has been there for approximately 25 years and this morning Minister Gago, Lisa Vlahos (Member for Taylor) and Susan Close (Member for Port Adelaide) came down to announce that it has now been opened. What this means is that it is now legal for people to fish and crab, land based, on the right hand side of the St Kilda break wall and all along the water front of the right hand side.Some things to be aware of:Bait digging and fishing (other than land based) are still prohibited as are collecting or removing any bottom dwelling organism other than Blue Swimmer Crabs which may be taken by rake/hand/hoop net. A full fact sheet is available from St Kilda Tackle & Tucker or available here.Get out there and get stuck into them. I personally reckon the Flathead fishing will be great in some of the little channels and troughs that form on turn of the tides.Edit: There was supposed to be a pic to go with this, but it doesn't seem to like me today.

are you only allowed to fish FROM the breakwater or can you fish while walking the flats?"The change is effective immediately, with fishers now permitted to line fish from the breakwater in both directions when tide conditions are suitable."from, PIRSA's post. the way i read it your still only allowed to cast from the rocks of the breakwater itself. not wander the flats?

“In response to concerns about confusion relating to the types of fishing activities allowed in the area, the government reviewed the existing arrangements and made the decision to simplify the arrangement and now allow line fishing from both sides of the breakwater.”Sounds like its just the breakwater to me but i didn't check the Pirsa link cheers brenton

are you only allowed to fish FROM the breakwater or can you fish while walking the flats?"The change is effective immediately' date=' with fishers now permitted to line fish from the breakwater in both directions when tide conditions are suitable."from, PIRSA's post. the way i read it your still only allowed to cast from the rocks of the breakwater itself. not wander the flats?[/quote']Might be a good question to pose in the PIRSA Media Release topic. I was looking forward to strapping on the waders and heading out into the deeper little holes and runnels as the tide goes out for Flathead. If I can only fish from the bank that's okay though

You can take YFW at will from the reserve side of the breakwall - some dudes still did and I believe the fine was 700-800 bux.I fished there until it was pointed out to me I couldnt- damn. Was a silly rule since the fish can swim through the drain thriugh the blocks and clear accross the parsts of the breakwall at high tide anyhow See you in the spring U4L

Has there been any clarification of wether its fishing from the breakwall only on the North side?May have to make the big trip from down my way.

On thinking about it, it's perfectly legal to wade out and use a rake to get crabs (and has been for a long time) so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to wade out and fish too.

I can see a few nice flathead getting caught on those flats.Might have to throw on some waders and chuck a few soft plastics around there.There are a few shallow channels going through there that have got my attention, will be eager to try them out in a week or so after the bloodworm run.Cheers again for the heads up U4LSteve

"...fishers now permitted to line fish from the breakwater in both directions when tide conditions are suitable."

"from the breakwater" - sounds pretty darn specific."when tide conditions are suitable" - meaning when tide conditions aren`t suitable...one obviously can`t fish from the breakwater. Reinforces the first bit.From the linkProhibited ActivitiesBait digging, fishing (other than land-based line fishing from the breakwater) and collecting or removing any marine organism (other than blue swimmer crabs) is not permitted.

"...fishers now permitted to line fish from the breakwater in both directions when tide conditions are suitable."

"from the breakwater" - sounds pretty darn specific."when tide conditions are suitable" - meaning when tide conditions aren`t suitable...one obviously can`t fish from the breakwater. Reinforces the first bit.
Does sound quite specific but I wonder whether they'd considered that people regularly wade out there and rake for crabs now, which undoubtedly does more damage to the bottom (the intent of the reserve in the first place) than simply wading and flicking a lure. I might jump into the PIRSA thread now and post this question for some clarification.

Also from the linkThese aquatic reserves allow fish such as King George whiting, yellow fin whiting, blue swimmer crabs and western king prawns to mature and breed within a relatively undisturbed area.They have obviously assessed BSC as being okay to rake for, anything else to be left alone given the aquatic reserve considerations.Line fishing from both sides is I suspect merely an enforcement/administrative simplification, as anything away from the breakwater is still under reserve protection from extractive effort.

Also from the linkThese aquatic reserves allow fish such as King George whiting' date=' yellow fin whiting, blue swimmer crabs and western king prawns to mature and breed within a relatively undisturbed area.[/color']They have obviously assessed BSC as being okay to rake for, anything else to be left alone given the aquatic reserve considerations.Line fishing from both sides is I suspect merely an enforcement/administrative simplification, as anything away from the breakwater is still under reserve protection from extractive effort.

Hmm, I get what you mean. I think this is going to get very confusing for tourists (of which we have many) without some serious signage being put up around the place: hf628777.PNG