Red Meat and Chicken?

What about the use of small amounts of meat for berley or bait when targeting fish such as mullet?The intent of the law is to minimise the impact berleying may have on attracting sharks to areas close to other water users. It is considered unlikely that these products will have significant attractant properties and so they will be dealt with in the same manner as commercial berley. Compliance officers will use their discretion in weighing up the circumstances of its use.

http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recreational_fishing/responsible_fishing/bait_and_tackle/berleying_in_south_australian_waters_-_frequently_asked_questions

It is entirely legal to use these meat items, but for HOOK bait only :) Lots of interesting chat on S&H about the misconceptions surrounding this fact as PIRSA do not allow meat and chicken or other animal based meats for burleying or in crab nets.I have always used meats for all my fishing in boats or in the surf, chicken breast is outstanding in tiny cubes for mullet, garfish, flathead, whiting, bigger pieces for bream. Yesterday, (10.8.13)I fished the Coorong in my mates tinny and caught double header ST's on waste bits of fatty venison taken from a hunted Deer, although ANY red or white meat works equally effectively ;)

That's interesting tony- does that mean a chunk of meat on a large hook for shark is acceptable (day light hours only of course) peace.

I doubt it. As I posted in the link above:

The intent of the law is to minimise the impact berleying may have on attracting sharks to areas close to other water users.

I am sure that they would put baiting into the same category.
bent87

That's interesting tony- does that mean a chunk of meat on a large hook for shark is acceptable (day light hours only of course)

You did mean "night time hours" I presume, if referring to the metro shark fishing tackle restrictions? ;) Probably an irrelevant consideration, because there is actually nothing to stop you from fishing metro LB for shark during the day anyway - as long as you use nothing bigger than an 8/0 and mono trace no thicker than 1mm...although you would be guaranteed a hard time regardless, I suspect, given the political drivers for the introduction of those particular regulations...That aside, an extract from the fishing regs to ponder - note it refers to Berley not Bait;23—Berleying(1) A person must not use blood, bone, meat, offal or skin of an animal as berley (otherwise than in a rock lobster pot or other fish trap) within 2 nautical miles of—(a) the mainland of the State; or(B) any island or reef that forms part of the State and is exposed at the low water mark.Maximum penalty: $2 500.Expiation fee: $210.(2) A person must not deposit or use in marine waters of the State the body, or part of the body, of a mammal or bird.Maximum penalty: $2 500.Expiation fee: $210.Unless someone interprets the above as "no animal berley within 2nm of land" and "no use whatsoever (ie for bait) in all marine waters" ...thus completely disregarding that Reg 23 is specifically titled "Berleying"... it would appear by logical inference that a chunk of meat on a hook is fine...for Bait.However, the PIRSA interpretation of the Regulations pursuant to the Act appears to be a little different, looking at the last item on the FAQ link;What about the use of small amounts of meat for berley or bait when targeting fish such as mullet? The intent of the law is to minimise the impact berleying may have on attracting sharks to areas close to other water users. It is considered unlikely that these products will have significant attractant properties and so they will be dealt with in the same manner as commercial berley. Compliance officers will use their discretion in weighing up the circumstances of its use.Notice how "or bait" has subtly crept into their departmental interpretation of the Regs? :whistle:

This is a really interesting topic.In the past I have used chicken, steak, bacon, and even pepperoni when I ran out of bait once.Since the new shark laws came into effect, I have been using only chicken breast in small strips as bait, as it seems many others do the same.I didn't think I was attracting sharks at all using chicken because of its low blood content.And I never use it on jetties or around swimmers.I never thought I was breaking the law.Be a shame if I can't use good old chicken, because it really is a gun bait on bream and flathead.

Thanks heaps for your input guys. By the looks of this it mostly relates to salt water fishing, I'm guessing the same rules don't apply to freshwater. Must be a pretty dedicated shark to swim up to Mannum for a bit of meat :laugh: Like I said thanks for your help on this topic. Your information is priceless!CheersShane

This is a really interesting topic.In the past I have used chicken' date=' steak, bacon, and even pepperoni when I ran out of bait once.Since the new shark laws came into effect, I have been using only chicken breast in small strips as bait, as it seems many others do the same.I didn't think I was attracting sharks at all using chicken because of its low blood content.And I never use it on jetties or around swimmers.I never thought I was breaking the law.Be a shame if I can't use good old chicken, because it really is a gun bait on bream and flathead.[/quote']Tinker,With issues such as this I just try to stay with the intent of the law. I'd be happy to use meat as bait as long as it isn't going to attract sharks, or more importantly, appear to attract sharks to ill-educated members of the public. I think these regs are pretty stupid from a shark attracting logic, eg chicken leg vs a hunk of tuna, but they probaly make joe public feel safer. Where I think they do help is to deter the wrong people from thinking all red meat would be good for bait. It is not hard for a small proportion of people to make the leap of seeing a bit of red meat as appropriate to seeing protected seabirds, seals and dolphins as acceptable bait as well. I have seen this attitude in fishers before.

I remember that case really well, the guy had his face plastered all over the paper with some two tonne monster Great White hanging from a gimble on a dock from memory.The story was that as the pics were taken and a large crowd of interested spectators were gathered around, a bit of baby seal fell out of the Sharks jaws :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:I think the guy was severely punished but don't remember the penalty :unsure:

• 8 years later...

It is illegal. Check the PIR.sa.gov.au website: 

“Blood, bone, meat, offal and skin of an animal (other than a fish, worm or insect) cannot be used for bait or berley in South Australian marine waters. This includes all waters within 2 nautical miles of the mainland or any island or reef that is part of South Australia and exposed at the low water mark.” https://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fishing/recreational_fishing/using_bait_and_berley_in_sa