Supple mono line recommendations

Looking for a supple line which holds little memory but needs to be a thin diameter.I've been using stren original 20lb (.46mm) which is great but having a thinner diameter puts more line on the spool.I have tried some thinner lines but they hold memory and twist a lot.Do you know of some brands worth a try?cheers

Looking for a supple line which holds little memory but needs to be a thin diameter.I've been using stren original 20lb (.46mm) which is great but having a thinner diameter puts more line on the spool.I have tried some thinner lines but they hold memory and twist a lot.Do you know of some brands worth a try?cheers

Yeas ago I used Platypus Super 100, it does have a fair stretch in it though.

Thanks CrusherStretch won't bother meI should state the differences between two lines i have fitted.Stren original 20lb .46mm thick, soft supple line easy to useDAM mono ..20lb .35mm thick ,harder stiffer line but likes to twist but i get a extra 100m on the spoolPSOk just searched the Platypus Super 100 info shows 20lb and it's .31mm , Now that looks promising.

Thanks CrusherStretch won't bother meI should state the differences between two lines i have fitted.Stren original 20lb .46mm thick' date=' soft supple line easy to useDAM mono ..20lb .35mm thick ,harder stiffer line but likes to twist but i get a extra 100m on the spoolPSOk just searched the Platypus Super 100 info shows 20lb and it's .31mm , Now that looks promising.[/quote']I found it was good up the river when fishing Lake Bonney etc for carp, as often I was pulling hooks on the large fish.

Have you looked at the Yozuri Hybrid? In 20lb it is .017" or .475mm diameter which is about the same as the Stren, but it is a Nylon/Fluoro Carbon composite.Its 100% waterproof (as some lines absorb water due to sunlight breakdown) and has excellent abrassion resistance. I have personally used it at 10lb and was quite impressed with it.These attachments show them on our website, and also a previous post on S&HHope it helpsJameshttp://www.strikehook.com/forum/35-bait-tackle/23683-yo-zuri-hybrid-fishing-linehttp://www.fishingwholesalers.com.au/yozuri-hybrid/

h5eea637.jpg

If you can find an old skool spool of Mono called Platyl - snap it up. its very soft and supple and good diameter. I used to use it on all my reels prior to moving to braid. If anyone ever sees it for sale please let me know?

Sorry this should read PLATILthere is a PLATIL STRONG but I always though that the plain PLATIL was superior.h3f01f7b.jpgha4d3cb4.jpg

PLATIL..i haven't heard that name for yearsI should know more about the mono lines but most of my fishing over the years has been boating and which line you used wasn't that important.Plus i used braid.Things seem to matter more when spinning of a beach which bought about this question.Doing a bit of a search this arvo i did come across this line which sounds good...Near-zero memoryhttp://international.sufix.com/fishing_line/precision_performance_mono/duraflex/

The best handling, most supple mono I have come across is the UK made Ultima Distance. It is an extremely nice line to use, and while not the thinnest diameter for breaking strain around, it is quite reasonable, and the Ultima specs on diameter and breaking strain I have found to be accurate.I test all new lines that I get, and my favourite by far for general fishing is Ultima Power Steel. It is tough, nice to handle and breaks above it's rating when using Bimini twists.I tried out the Sufix Duraflex about 6 months ago and was very disappointed with it. The rated breaking strain was from memory 28lb with a stated diameter of 0.35mm, but when tested with biminis, would not exceed 16 lb. The Ultima Power Steel on the other hand in the 20lb rating was accurate with respect to measured diameter (I think it was 0.40mm) and I pulled it to 27+lb and it still didn't break.The actual strength of the Power Steel over the Duraflex was more than 20% stronger for it's actual cross sectional area.I was recently given some Sufix Tritanium which has a very good reputation, but have not yet had a chance to test it out.Hope this helps!Regards,SB

The best handling' date=' most supple mono I have come across is the UK made Ultima Distance. It is an extremely nice line to use, and while not the thinnest diameter for breaking strain around, it is quite reasonable, and the Ultima specs on diameter and breaking strain I have found to be accurate.I test all new lines that I get, and my favourite by far for general fishing is Ultima Power Steel. It is tough, nice to handle and breaks above it's rating when using Bimini twists.I tried out the Sufix Duraflex about 6 months ago and was very disappointed with it. The rated breaking strain was from memory 28lb with a stated diameter of 0.35mm, but when tested with biminis, would not exceed 16 lb. The Ultima Power Steel on the other hand in the 20lb rating was accurate with respect to measured diameter (I think it was 0.40mm) and I pulled it to 27+lb and it still didn't break.The actual strength of the Power Steel over the Duraflex was more than 20% stronger for it's actual cross sectional area.I was recently given some Sufix Tritanium which has a very good reputation, but have not yet had a chance to test it out.Hope this helps!Regards,SB[/quote']That sufix duraflex line is the worst thing I've ever had on one of my reels. For 28lb line was very thin but had absolutely no strength in it. You had to be a magician to catch a small ray on it.Only be buying there braid from now on.
The best handling' date=' most supple mono I have come across is the UK made Ultima Distance. It is an extremely nice line to use, and while not the thinnest diameter for breaking strain around, it is quite reasonable, and the Ultima specs on diameter and breaking strain I have found to be accurate.I test all new lines that I get, and my favourite by far for general fishing is Ultima Power Steel. It is tough, nice to handle and breaks above it's rating when using Bimini twists.I tried out the Sufix Duraflex about 6 months ago and was very disappointed with it. The rated breaking strain was from memory 28lb with a stated diameter of 0.35mm, but when tested with biminis, would not exceed 16 lb. The Ultima Power Steel on the other hand in the 20lb rating was accurate with respect to measured diameter (I think it was 0.40mm) and I pulled it to 27+lb and it still didn't break.The actual strength of the Power Steel over the Duraflex was more than 20% stronger for it's actual cross sectional area.I was recently given some Sufix Tritanium which has a very good reputation, but have not yet had a chance to test it out.Hope this helps!Regards,SB[/quote']I just took off the orange Ultima Distance line as it's too thick.The Power Steel is discontinued as Ultima has gone under was the latest news

G'day Ausea,I did hear that Ultima had gone under but also heard a whisper there might be a buyer for the company or their product, will have to wait and see if anything happens, it's a shame.I just did a few knots with the Sufix Tritanium and it's a far cry from the Duraflex. I only tested the 12lb in clear, but initial impressions are good. I also have the 19lb (0.35mm) at home.The line tested at exactly the stated diameter of 0.30mm for the 12lb, slightly under the "standard" 12lb diameter which is 0.32mm.Bimini to bimini tested at 13-14lb with a steadily increasing pull, and somewhat surprisingly, a blood knot to blood knot gave the same result of 13-14lb.The line is slightly wiry but not excessively so, I'm keen to try out the Tritanium in the surf. ;) The only downside is that I don't know of an Australian supplier. An upside is that from the UK it is very inexpensive - around $15-20 for a 1500 metre spool. B)he20dab7.JPGCheers!SB

I have found Platypus Platinum good - but Kokoda GTR Ultra better still.

I second that, kokoda GTR is an excellent line and comes in big spools so is great for bigger reels (300m and 600m roll sizes.) Nice and limp, stands up well to UV and casts like silk!From memory, the 20lb is .37 and not too pricey; I get mine at got one stepney and it's less than 20 bucks.

Ok guys thanks for all the info,nothing like getting info by actual users of the product.Even though i have ordered a few lines on line now and wait for delivery i think the Platypus Super 100 is worth buying too.Even though reviews have mentioned getting brittle in hot climate but most of my fishing is at night which shouldn't effect the line.Thanks

dunno if ive misread your post ausea' date='but i think they refer to keeping it out of the heat all the time and i dunno about that either imo uv is the biggest killer of mono.thats the biggest reason why i use braid these days.back to my corner[/quote']Agreed fridge, use of the line in heat wont kill it, storing it in sunlight or heat will. i.e. a hot spare room with window/blinds open or in the shed.

What i had read was standing on a beach in direct sunlight during those long hot summer days.But for some reason this line suffered more then others,as for any other info would have been handy.But as i said i'll be night fishing going after those big predators so the line won't be any issue for me.

What i had read was standing on a beach in direct sunlight during those long hot summer days.But for some reason this line suffered more then others' date='as for any other info would have been handy.But as i said i'll be night fishing going after those big predators so the line won't be any issue for me.[/quote']Since it won't see much sunlight you'll have a lot of line options, copolymer lines like platypus platinum have a lot of abrasion resistance and cast pretty well; always wanted to try the super 100 but it's hard to get in light strains.Let us know how it goes, and what line works best!
A little off topic. I recently bought some spools of Daiwa mono' date=' not the expensive stuff' date=' worst mono line i've ever used. Stiff, lots of memory, coils off the spool.[/quote'']One would assume being under the Daiwa name you'd get a good line.
You'd think :( . Found the spool. It was Daiwa Triforce. Should've known better since it was marked down to $6.

It's funny how the same manufacturer can have wildly different lines, but I guess they are marketed at a particular price point. For instance, Berkeley's Trilene Sensation is terrible, springs off the spool and knot strength is poor, but Berkely Big Game is pretty good. Same with the Sufix Duraflex (terrible) and the Sufix Tritanium (good), although the Duraflex is far more expensive than the Tritanium. Can't work that one out. :-)Regards,SB