Yellow Fin Whiting

Hey Guys, I'm new to the site and was thinking or taking my lad fishing for some yellow fin whiting (Land based) and was hoping you may be able to give me a few tips?I grew up on mainly fishing on a boat and haven't done much land based stuff for a LONG TIME..... Are you able to help me with location (metro or yorkes) & bait etc....CheersBishy

they're a bit quiet at the moment due to the cold weather.any of the local beaches should be allright, but........the weather will have a fair bit to say about that.you'll probably also get some salmon trout from the beaches, if you're beach or jetty fishing.look for the more 'calmer' beaches, that have nice big sandy bottoms and weedy areas nearby.they dont have to be very deep areas (between 2 to 6 feet deep).good baits are;cockles, prawns/nippers, worms.try small beach rods with 8 to 12 lb line, small star sinkers if its nice and calm, medium star sinkers if its rougher/windy, size 6 to 4 (smallish) long shank hooks. :fishing: and deck chairs. B) times = late mornings, late arvo's, but depends where you go.

YFW are available all year round up north, but here in metro is a different dilemma . Bring on the warm summer days catching YFW on a local beach. My old man got 7 yesterday in port augusta at the front door of the shack on incoming tide. I gave him some bloodworms as he's never fished with them. Got a call this morning " gott any more of those BLOODWoRMS ?" Apparently he's in love with them ! LOL I think I've converted him.

Hit up the master "DEL" he is the Yellowfin whiting whisperer. The YFW head to warmer waters in the winter. They are always available Port Gawler and further north. Live tubeworms, live clickers and bloodworms are best baits. Lighter line the better, flurocarbon leaders and lightest sinkers you can get away with. Prepare to wade and walk a bit if you are hitting the sand flats up north. The schools will be small when the weather is at its coldest. The warmer the weather the bigger the school.

• 2 weeks later...
Hit up the master "DEL" he is the Yellowfin whiting whisperer. The YFW head to warmer waters in the winter. They are always available Port Gawler and further north. Live tubeworms' date=' live clickers and bloodworms are best baits. Lighter line the better, flurocarbon leaders and lightest sinkers you can get away with. Prepare to wade and walk a bit if you are hitting the sand flats up north. The schools will be small when the weather is at its coldest. The warmer the weather the bigger the school.[/quote']was about to say... i do ok.. but aint that flash! usually get a feed if they are around...