CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!

I am looking forward to Summer as it will produce some decent Whiting, Snook and Gar! I still havn't caught any and I will hopefully catch some this Summer! :woohoo: I've seen the other topic about YFW on poppers and this is making me egar to try! I will mostly be using lures to target these species preferably sp. I have seen some decent snook smashing baitfish and zooming fully out of the water just at the end of Glenelg Jetty! Also some small garfish all around. But I have never caught any of these fish!!! :ohmy: Can anybody give me advise on where, how and what lures are most effective for these species? I appreciate this a lot! :) CheersAlex :fishing:

For the snook, use either 60-100mm hardbody lures that can dive a bit off the jetty. A straight retrieve with a few pauses or twitches depending on whether it is suspending or floating should be okay. I use xrap 08s off brighton jetty near the lights and twitch and pause them.For YFW, poppers are good when there is a school visible. However, live beach/tube/sandworms are a good option and should get results, but there are others who are more experienced in this area.

last time i was at semaphore jetty about 3 years ago i had a crack at yelowfin whiting i was just near the end of the jetty and casting off the lefthand side towards a small seaweed patch on the bottom i was using a two piece rod with that red line that apparently fish cant see and caught a 41cm YFW using cockles as bait it shocked me a bit seeing it was off my first cast that day and the bait i was using not only that but i find at semaphore they tend to stick to the shallower end

another great place for snook is the old rapid bay jetty but you will have to jump the gate if your going to do this only do it while the sun is shinning cause there are gaps in the old jetty dont want you to fall through or the new one the reason they closed the old one was for small structal damage that could have been easily replaced instead of building a new one probaly would have been cheaper too

Ah yes good ole summa.Those days when you hop into a car sitting out in the sun' date='and when you open the door and hop into 140deg and the steering wheel burns ur fingers.Only 12 weeks to go,might apply some uv cream now for a practice runlong hot summa days[attachment=15867']h0adb1fc.jpg[/attachment]

Good to see she is wearing a hat to protect her from the harsh summer sun.

Ah yes good ole summa.Those days when you hop into a car sitting out in the sun' date='and when you open the door and hop into 140deg and the steering wheel burns ur fingers.Only 12 weeks to go,might apply some uv cream now for a practice runlong hot summa days[attachment=15867']h0adb1fc.jpg[/attachment]

Good to see she is wearing a hat to protect her from the harsh summer sun.
I just want to know how you found that picture of my wife :ohmy:

Sorry Alex, I got distracted and went off topic a bit there.....I am still learning about whiting, but the YFW I have caught metro have been caught mostly at Tennyson, which I discovered by accident waiting for a kite surfing lesson.While I previously used bloodworms and sandworms for YFW, I have been learning to use poppers after watching a guy get his bag at Tennyson in less than an hour.Try berleying up the area you plan to fish, I usually just use a berley bucket tied to a rod holder spike, which I keep moving depending on tide height and times.Buy some good quality poppers (around $10-15 at the most) as I have found you won't be losing them to snags as much as you would other lures. If you can get a bulk pack of poppers, like 5 for $20 as I did, this is a good way to start your collection and build confidence up.Get to the beach at low tide, and make a note of where the gutters and channels are along the beach, this will help identify the best areas to target fish.Sometimes this type of fishing allows you to sight the YFW, and as you wade in the shallows, if you watch carefully, you will see the school moving around. But most of the time, the fish will be very well camouflaged in with the sandy bottom.The best advice is to get out there and practice, and surface lures are in my opinion one of the easiest types of lure to use. Mix up your retrieves to find out what works best on the day, eventually you will find your fish.Good luck mate, and I hope this helps a bit.Steve

another great place for snook is the old rapid bay jetty but you will have to jump the gate if your going to do this only do it while the sun is shinning cause there are gaps in the old jetty dont want you to fall through or the new one the reason they closed the old one was for small structal damage that could have been easily replaced instead of building a new one probaly would have been cheaper too

Telling someone to do something dangerous / illegal.You're kidding aren't you.Plus there is at least a 20ft gap about 30m down the old jetty now.This year a mate and I were waiting for the swell to die down a little at cape jervis so we decided to troll in close around the Morgan's beach area. Picked up 3 decent snook in about 20min.I could see no reason why you wouldn't get them off the beach itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWJCxIl1wSkNice little video about whiting on poppersfrom memory what I was told about targetting the whiting on a popper is look for a nice sand flat, put out a bit of berley and explore the area with the popper any whiting that are near by will more then likely come to have a bit of a look at what the action is about.Mostly clear or white with a red head is the best colour choice for the whiting.Snook your best chance is probably going out to the rocks and spinning a few lures. Also heard about guys going on the jetty with a squid strip with 2 ganged hooks and just walking up and down the jetty holding the rod out and the snook seem to love it, look for edges of sand patchs/darker areas on the jetty if you're fishing at night as its easier for the snook to feel safe attacking any food item as it offers more cover for them to nail the fish they're after. Garfish can be caught off the rocks as well with a bit of berley, something as simple as bread will suffice and I've had times where I've gone down to the rocks for a quick flick and just thrown out the crusts from my sandwhich and had the odd school of garfish come in and clean up. sadly I forgot my lighter gear :( Also go to the jetty and put a bit of berley in the water, chicken pellets, store bought whiting pellets or the old slice of bread will work wonders here and you should bring a few garfish in, if you're using a float rig have one bait closer to the surface and one more mid water as the garfish will tend to fluctuate between the two. Occasionally (well mostly once they get a whiff of the berley) a school of tommies will move in and push the garfish back as there's too much competition for them to come in closer, once this happens if you cast out further you will pick up the garfish again as they tend to hang back once the tommies arrive
I am looking forward to Summer as it will produce some decent Whiting' date=' Snook and Gar! I still havn't caught any and I will hopefully catch some this Summer! :woohoo: I've seen the other topic about YFW on poppers and this is making me egar to try! I will mostly be using lures to target these species preferably sp. I have seen some decent snook smashing baitfish and zooming fully out of the water just at the end of Glenelg Jetty! Also some small garfish all around. But I have never caught any of these fish!!! :ohmy: Can anybody give me advise on where, how and what lures are most effective for these species? I appreciate this a lot! :) CheersAlex :fishing:[/quote']sorry Alex, can't help with your land based questions but I wish you luck,I reckon you will work it out.As for waiting for summer, I just can't wait for the wind :angry: to rack off.